• How do i upgrade to OpenGL 4.0?

Hello,

well i haven’t been on the forum for a long time as i have not encountered an issue i couldn’t solve until now. I just purchased metro 2033 redux on steam (I have posted tutorials on this forum to install steam.) but unfortunately i need OpenGL 4.0 in order to run this game :( and i checked which version of openGL i have via this command here are my results.

$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.6

As you an see i have OpenGL 3.0 but I need OpenGL 4.0 in order to run this game so how can I upgrade OpenGL to version 4.0 or later and if necessary how can i install OpenGL 4.0 over 3.0 although i would much rather upgrade :(

• hi tac no clue im kinda new an lost with install /driver problems just wanted to say hi was all lol lol have a good 1

• Hi,

What’s the output of glxinfo | grep -i opengl?

• @loner said:

hi tac no clue im kinda new an lost with install /driver problems just wanted to say hi was all lol lol have a good 1

lol

• @lots.0.logs

$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel® Bay Trail
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.5.6
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.5.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:

• @TAC_Tux
    Do you know what video card you are using and does it support opengl 4? I would first verify that your video card supports the version of opengl that you need. If it does, then you need to make sure you have the latest drivers that support your card. They work in tandem so you need to have:

1. Video card that supports the version of opengl that you need.
    2. The drivers that support the video card and opengl that you need.
      If you using AMD/Nvidia, it’s pretty easy to find this info. You might need to look a little harder for Intel (which looks like you might be using). You might need to actually look up your motherboard info if using Intel integrated graphics. When i say “look up,” i imply searching the web or the manufactures site.
      As far as finding out what hardware you have, someone better than i can probably walk you through the proper terminal commands to figure that out.
  • Most GNU/Linux distributions use the free software implementation; Mesa3D for OpenGL etc.
    According to Mesa’s latest release note, it only have support for OpenGL 3.3. Link: http://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/10.5.6.html
    You could however download a proprietary implementation of OpenGL (But why use a Free-Open Source Operating System if you are going to use proprietary software). One of the reasons I use GNU/Linux is for free software etc, so personally I stick with Mesa3D, so I don’t really game “next-gen” games on my system.

• @Kristoffer-Rørnes

I think all linux user know about free software, and this comment is mostly unhelpful as i know all of this…my question was if there was a way to upgrade on an unsupported system…

• @Kristoffer Rørnes

Why would you pay for tap water or water in bottle while you local river gives you free water ? That the same thing you are telling us here. I’m all in FOSS but FOSS =/= good. Their is many flows in FOSS one of them is in many case they can’t replace proprietary ones because they are not as good. If you want exemple I’ll give you one : why should I use Nvidia driver while Nouveau exist ? Because when I use Nouveau my laptop is close to be frying. This is not the topic but I could give you many other reason why FOSS can’t compete with proprietary in many levels. I dream one day they will but that day is still far far far far away from now.

@TAC_Tux

As previously said if your actual hardware/driver don’t support OpenGL 4.x their is nothing you can do you’re stuck with OpenGL 3.3. Since Intel provide open source drivers for linux they use Mesa3D, unfortunatly Mesa3D is not close to achieve OpenGL 4.x compatibility, to give you an idea OpenGL 3.3 and 4.0 have been launch in 2010/03/11, Mesa3D implemented OpenGL 3.3 in 2013/11/30 and nothing for 4.0, OpenGL is actualy in version 4.5.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• First of all, do you know that your hardware doesn’t support it? Did it (OpenGL 4.x) work on Windows or any other Operating Systems?
    If it didn’t work, then thats like asking if you could jam a pizza down a toaster, ask and if it would work.

TAC_Tux - "…and this comment is mostly unhelpful as i know all of this…"
    But I said you could:
    Kristoffer Rørnes - “…You could however download a proprietary implementation of OpenGL…”.
    Meaning you could try to get a copy of Intel’s (secret) proprietary implementation of OpenGL (which probably is OpenGL version 4.x. Or maybe they got Vulcan?). But doing so would be kinda of defeating the purpose of GNU/Linux…

I do agree that Free-Software has been doing bad in the Personal Computer market (with hardware being lock to proprietary drivers and firmware), but in Enterprise “we are kinda winning” with SUSE (Owned by Novell) and Red Hat…

• @Kristoffer Rørnes : His hardware could be OpenGL4.x complient on windows but we don’t know since he doesn’t give the model of intel graphics card on his computer. And that would doesn’t change the fact their is no Intel proprietary driver for linux (if you’ve search you should know it) so no OpenGL 4.x because of Mesa. An other thing because you don’t seem very aware of everything : Vulkan and OpenGL are not the same thing and will not serve the same purpose, bytheway Vulkan still is in private Beta to some members of the Krhonos group wich participate in the developement of Vulkan, and Mesa is not one of them, you won’t see it on public drivers for some month (and on Mesa for maybe 10 more year at the pace they implement things). Stay that OpenGL and Vulkan will be shipped in parallels on hardware and drivers not Vulkan instead of OpenGL.

And you could keep your comments on the “purpose” of linux for yourself, we don’t need “linux need to be running only FOSS” zealots like you here. Linux is not doing well in professional desktop world even with distros like SUSE or RHLE it is even far from it. Linux is doing well on servers and nowhere else. And the bad performance in personal desktop is not due to prorpietary lock down far from that.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

metro 20331 opengl7 Posts 11Views 4235