• Boot Issues.

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so I thought the newbie corner would be best.

I’m having issues when booting my laptop (Thinkpad x230). Every now and then, I’d say about 60% of the time, I get a blank black screen when booting. The computer is still on, but I can’t do anything. No key entry works, mouse doesn’t work, etc. I’m just forced to poweroff by holding the power button for about 2-3 seconds. Normally when you force power off, everything just blips out (like you cut the power), but with this situation, I, instead, get a quick message (something about name not matching and systemd - looks like the same message as when I shut off). I have no idea what’s going on, no idea what to even Google (tried - no luck), and I’ve asked Arch forums with no luck. Any idea what’s happening?

I’m using the xfce version, if that makes any difference.

• @onehungrybear

Please, when this happens again, reboot and grab the logs as stated in this post:
    http://forum.antergos.com/topic/1885/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

This way maybe we can see what’s going on.

Cheers!

• @karasu
    Will grab that at the next opportunity. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction!

• @karasu
    I got those logs. I tried reading them myself, but I couldn’t figure out if anything here was a problem. I didn’t include the .old logs because I generated it right after I replicated the issue. I can if necessary.

logs.tar

• Here are the entries relevant to your issue:

Jun 03 14:27:44 antergos kernel: [drm:intel_set_pch_fifo_underrun_reporting [i915]] *ERROR* uncleared pch fifo underrun on pch transcoder A
    Jun 03 14:27:44 antergos kernel: [drm:intel_pch_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* PCH transcoder A FIFO underrun

[     4.247] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied

This is most likely a regression in the kernel. I recommend installing the LTS kernel and using it until the issue is resolved in the latest kernel. You can install the LTS kernel with these commands:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Let us know if you have any questions!

• @lots.0.logs
    Thank you, sir. I think I’ll wait and see if the problem happens again since it hasn’t occurred since. If I do use the LTS version, how do I go back to the latest later on?

Posts 6Views 1885
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.