• \[SOLVED\] Gnome 3.10

I know Gnome 3.10 was released recently and was wondering how long that would take to trickle down in Antergos? I thought it would right away, as it is Arch based, but I am brand new to it and unsure. Or, do I need to manually upgrade it?

• I know Gnome 3.10 was released recently and was wondering how long that would take to trickle down in Antergos? I thought it would right away, as it is Arch based, but I am brand new to it and unsure. Or, do I need to manually upgrade it?

• When GNOME releases a milestone build there is still work to be done before it can be available to users. Each distribution’s package maintainers have to integrate the new gnome packages into there repos. This involves rebuilding any packages that depend on the old version (with GNOME, thats 100+ packages). As long as everything goes smoothly you should see the updates within 7-10 days of release. The repo used to prepare the new version is called gnome-unstable and it is available to anyone. I have seen quite a few user posts that it is stable enough to use. However, if you use any extensions, I would wait because they may not function properly. The extension devs also have to make necessary changes to stay compatible. Hopefully this info is helpful.

[gnome-unstable]  
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist  

Best Regards,

• Thank you for your reply. I don’t know why I didn’t figure that out. I think I will just wait for it then rather than uncomment the unstable branch. Again Thank you, seems like a nice community here.

• Glad I could help! Your post sparked my curiosity on GNOME 3.10. The computer nerd inside refused to wait and installed it shortly afterwards. I am pleased to report that I have yet to experience any issues. I dare say my system seems slightly more stable than before. (*knocks on wood*)

• @“lots.0.logs”:2z890yze said:

Glad I could help! Your post sparked my curiosity on GNOME 3.10. The computer nerd inside refused to wait and installed it shortly afterwards. I am pleased to report that I have yet to experience any issues. I dare say my system seems slightly more stable than before. (*knocks on wood*)
    Well that is certainly good news. I have been too busy to even use my computer in a few days, but after hearing this I agree the nerd in me is chomping at the bit! I have seen really nice things about it online. Thanks again for the info.

• Gnome 3.10 looks very good and promising, but after everything I had to do to get Antergos to play nicely with my system I don’t want to break it. At least just yet! I’ll wait on the repos.

"We owe a lot to Thomas Edison - if it wasn't for him, we'd be watching television by candlelight." - Milton Berle

• @“tornnomar”:ajg7o2hn said:

Gnome 3.10 looks very good and promising, but after everything I had to do to get Antergos to play nicely with my system I don’t want to break it. At least just yet! I’ll wait on the repos.[/quote:ajg7o2hn]

I completely understand. I can’t tell you how many times my curiosity has broken my system LOL. I learned my lesson the hard way…regular backups are a must!

• But remember, if you shout “FOR SCIENCE!!!” when you try something new, when it breaks, it hurts less. Or at least that’s my case

"When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

• @“Noxbru”:3og39xki said:

But remember, if you shout “FOR SCIENCE!!!” when you try something new, when it breaks, it hurts less. Or at least that’s my case

Posts 10Views 1622