• How to do a backup of my system?

I have installed Antergos succesfully and I configured the system just as I wanted to with all my documents and software. I would like to know how to make a backup of the system to restore it in case it breaks or in case a problem presents. I heard something like making a snapshot, what is it? Does it have any advantage compared to a regular backup? Thanks in advance.

• That depends a bit on your set-up. Do you have separate root and home partitions? Other?

I have the system installed on a root partition. In addition I have a partition for my home directory and a special data partion.

The home and data partition, I back-up using a GUI tool based on rsync doing incremental back-ups (so only the things which have changed). There is a variety of tool to do that. I’m using backintime. backintime let’s you easily restore files or entire directory structures from any snapshot stored in time. In the configuration you can define when and how often it should run.

For the system back-up, I boot up a another system (either from live CD or - in my case- one of the dual boot system and use the dd command to create an image of the root partion, e.g.

sudo dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/my-back-up-disk/Antergos_2015-05-28.img

Assuming, the Antergos system is stored on parition 1. A system image I take manually every so often. All back-up (system, home, data) go to an external usb drive.

Hope that helps!

Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
    dual boot: Antergos and Debian Stretch both 64bit and running gnome-shell
    surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS and Codeweavers Crossover

• I use Deja Dup which is in the Arch repo. It too only backs up changes since last time. Very user friendly.

• I use Grsync available in official depot and it works fine too!
    See snapshot:
    Capture du 2015-05-29 14-37-14.png

system58 backup10 Posts 4Views 1473