• and to read cd we use ...

That’s a newbie newbie question : what I need install ( app , drive , lib , … ) to read cd ? I’m using Cinnamon , I need some files that are at a cd , I put it at rack and nothing appears . It’s real ,please don’t laugh ( a lot) and give me a help .:flushed:

• Hi,

Nothing to laught at, do not worry.

Are you using Gnome? It should appear in your file explorer (nautilus). After inserting the cd, open nautilus and check on the left pane.

If it doesn’t appear maybe you have some kind of problem when trying to mount a cd.

• @karasu :cold_sweat: That’s the point : nothing appears . I tried with others cds and , nothing .

• Seems a bit strange… ok.

Are usb sticks automonted?
    If not, then you can tell Nautilus to automount your usb’s and cdrom with this command:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount true

Also, check that you have gvfsd running (I’m sure you have, but just in case…)
    You can check it with:
    ps ax | grep gvfsd

• I forgot… what’s your udisks daemon status?

If I run a ps ax| grep udisks I got this:

651 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd --no-debug
      716 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor

What do you get?

• 410 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
    411 ? Ssl 0:00 /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd --no-debug
    2296 pts/1 R+ 0:00 grep --color=auto udisks
    The result is this , but I am not completely sure about the numbers left , because it is not the real copy . I did the tests , gvfsd is running , but to post here I need to use a live cd because I can not make register and , to login ,I need to use G+ ( and this option is only at live session ).

• @karasu said:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount true

This did not help?

• @karasu No , it is the same .That was the right text -
    394 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor
    396 ? Ssl 0:00 /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd --no-debug
    776 pts/1 R+ 0:00 grep =auto udisks

• This will not solve your problem, but will work as a workaround:

In a terminal:
    sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt

Your files will appear in /mnt (you can go there with your file manager).

Cheers!

• @karasu Thanks I will try . By the way ,Why I can not make register or login here , only with live cd (cd works for this ) ?

• @Rodrigo-Virmond , send a private message to @lots-0-logs , he will know how to solve your problems with the forum.

• @karasu said:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt

I’m too shy to send private messages to anyone:angel: but I found a solution : I installed Slimjet ( I use Firefox , usually )and I could make login with G+ ( not the register , but no problem ) . But I still can’t read cds . Look the results ( it’s in portuguese , sorry ):

[rodrigo@Pegatron ~]$ sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
    [sudo] senha para rodrigo: 
    mount: /dev/sr0 é protegido contra gravação; montando como somente-leitura
    mount: tipo de sistema de arquivos incorreto, opção inválida,
           superbloco inválido em /dev/sr0, página de código ou programa
           auxiliar faltando ou outro erro

Em alguns casos, informações úteis são encontradas no
       syslog - tente "dmesg | tail" ou algo assim

So I tried , and :

[rodrigo@Pegatron ~]$ sudo dmesg | tail
    [sudo] senha para rodrigo: 
    [  264.817560] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr0] tag#0 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0 
    [  264.817566] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr0] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 03 b5 a0 00 00 02 00
    [  264.817572] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 972416
    [  271.833882] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr0] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
    [  271.833892] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr0] tag#0 Sense Key : 0x3 [current] 
    [  271.833898] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr0] tag#0 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0 
    [  271.833904] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr0] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 03 b5 a0 00 00 02 00
    [  271.833909] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 972416
    [  271.833916] Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 121552, async page read
    [  621.181556] perf interrupt took too long (2509 > 2495), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50100
    [rodrigo@Pegatron ~]$

• @Rodrigo-Virmond said:

[ 271.833909] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 972416
    [ 271.833916] Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 121552, async page read

Are you sure your media is ok? Have you tried with another CD? And you’re positive your cdrom reader is ok, too?

• @karasu Yes . Only with Antergos, doesn’t matter the desktop ( KDE ,MATE or Cinnamon ) .

• @Rodrigo-Virmond Hey! I can make login with my register ! Cool ! Well , but I needed make a fresh install of the system because when I was trying read cds , I opened Brasero and :shit: A beautiful black screen appears ,freeze completely , nothing work ; I forced reboot and , the void . nothing . So , when I was making the new instalation , it wasn’t detected any system at PC . Is it radical isn’t ? But I still can’t read cds .

• @Rodrigo-Virmond

Check your cable connections… are you sure it is working with other oses?

It looks like a hardware problem to me (but of course, I could be very wrong).

• @karasu All it’s possible , of course . Before this actual installation , I installed a PCLinuxOS mini KDE ( it’s fast ), I would watch a video and I moved some archives that I use constantly from cds to pendrives , and I used live an uumate iso ; they were ok . But I would like to use Antergos . [ my English at this text is particularly awsome ]

• @Rodrigo-Virmond : Don’t you have any os ISO in a CD (like windows or Ubuntu, anything…) just to test that your cd is working?

• @karasu Yes , and I did some tests : At Ubuntu , PCLinuxOS and Chakra , all works ; at Antergos and Manjaro , exactly the same cds and dvds works and no works . I believe the Antergos and Manjaro have “structure” most similar than the others , so , maybe , some "lib "or "python"is not installed default , or some adjust that I need make and I don’t know . About the Brasero’s big crash , I had make so many mess before that :poop: was at less , expected .

• I still want to use Antergos , but I would like to fix this .

Posts 24Views 5101