• [SOLVED] WIFI visible, scanning, but not connecting

Hi,
    I am struggling on my fresh installed Antergos (4.0.4-1 kernel) to get WIFI to work.

So, from the start:
    iw dev returns:

Interface wlp4s0
        ifindex 3
        wdev 0x1
        addr 24:fd:52:19:ff:47
        type managed

ip l returns:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    2: enp5s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 08:9e:01:c0:6c:c4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    3: wlp4s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 24:fd:52:19:ff:47 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Here, ifconfig wlp4s0 down or up don’t return any errors.

Also, iwlist wlp4s0 scan works just fine.

So here’s what I’m not getting: after sudo wifi-menu wlp4s0 dialog is finished, no errors are shown. Still, iw wlp4s0 link outputs Not connected.

And the command systemctl status [email protected] outputs the following (where nave is the profile I created) :

[email protected] - Networking for netctl profile nave
        Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/[email protected]; static; vendor preset: disabled)
        Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2015-05-21 19:03:55 BRT; 3min 9s ago
        Docs: man:netctl.profile(5)
        Process: 10261 ExecStart=/usr/lib/network/network start %I (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        Main PID: 10261 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 21 19:03:55 mymachine systemd[1]: Starting Networking for netctl profile nave...
       May 21 19:03:55 mymachine network[10261]: Starting network profile 'nave'...
       May 21 19:03:55 mymachine network[10261]: The interface of network profile 'nave' is already up
       May 21 19:03:55 mymachine systemd[1]: [email protected]: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
       May 21 19:03:55 mymachine systemd[1]: Failed to start Networking for netctl profile nave.
       May 21 19:03:55 mymachine systemd[1]: Unit [email protected] entered failed state.
       May 21 19:03:55 mymachine systemd[1]: [email protected] failed.

ls /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants outputs:

avahi-daemon.service  ModemManager.service    ntpd.service         remote-fs.target
    haveged.service       NetworkManager.service  org.cups.cupsd.path  ufw.service

NetworkManager is running (since I’m using the Ethernet adapter) and I don’t know if that could be the problem that is preventing network start to work properly and I don’t even know if that’s the error.
    NetworkManager's version is 1.0.2-3

• NetworkManager is running (since I’m using the Ethernet adapter) and I don’t know if that could be the problem that is preventing network start to work properly and I don’t even know if that’s the error.
    NetworkManager’s version is 1.0.2-3

I’m not sure, but this could be a problem. You should manage all interfaces with the same system (either networkmanager or netctl) or at least, tell networkmanager to no manage your wifi device.

From the networkmanager arch wiki:

Note: You must ensure that no other service that wants to configure the network is running; in fact, multiple networking services will conflict. You can find a list of the currently running services with systemctl --type=service and then stop them. See #Configuration to enable the NetworkManager service.

• You should let NetworkManager handle all connections, btw.

• Thank you for your comments.

I’ve tried WICD to connect to a WiFi network and it worked, but apparently (and thanks WICD I got that feedback), DHCP is not working properly and that’s why NetworkManager wasn’t able to connect to my Wireless network. It still doesn’t work, but it’s something particular with my router maybe, because it works on others networks.

In summary, I ended up hating WICD, and I’m back to NetworkManager. By trying a lot of approaches to connect to WiFi, I created a lot of conflicts. So, back to the simple by now.

wireless25 wifi-menu4 ath9k1 dhcpd1 wpasupplicant2 Posts 4Views 3675