• \[SOLVED\] cpu throttling


    I noticed no freq scaling on my “Intel® Celeron® CPU 900”. It just keeps on running on 2.20GHz. Not really a problem, it is not yet getting to hot but this is not needed.
    I installed cpupower to determine the settings but all I get is that there is no or an unknown freq. scaling installed.

    Do I need to do something to the kernel??? I hope not.

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • I noticed no freq scaling on my “Intel® Celeron® CPU 900”. It just keeps on running on 2.20GHz. Not really a problem, it is not yet getting to hot but this is not needed.
    I installed cpupower to determine the settings but all I get is that there is no or an unknown freq. scaling installed.

    Do I need to do something to the kernel??? I hope not.

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • @“bootz”:8b4gx7sw said:

    I noticed no freq scaling on my “Intel® Celeron® CPU 900”. It just keeps on running on 2.20GHz. Not really a problem, it is not yet getting to hot but this is not needed.
    I installed cpupower to determine the settings but all I get is that there is no or an unknown freq. scaling installed.

    Do I need to do something to the kernel??? I hope not.
    Hi,

    I created a script with chmod 755, to manage my freq.

    cat Scripts/cpu.sh   
    > \#! /bin/sh  
    >   
    > cpupower frequency-set -g "$1"  
    > 
    

    I am on the “old” Cinnarch Gnome Edition, with G3.8

    Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

  • @“I-sty”:2897rjae said:

    @“bootz”:2897rjae said:

    cpupower frequency-set -g “$1”

    I am on the “old” Cinnarch Gnome Edition, with G3.8[/quote:2897rjae][/quote:2897rjae]

    just tested it from the terminal:

      
    > > [[email protected] ~]$ cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand  
    > > Subcommand frequency-set needs root privileges  
    > > [[email protected] ~]$ sudo cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand  
    > > [sudo] password for bootz:   
    > > Setting cpu: 0  
    > > Error setting new values. Common errors:  
    > > - Do you have proper administration rights? (super-user?)  
    > > - Is the governor you requested available and modprobed?  
    > > - Trying to set an invalid policy?  
    > > - Trying to set a specific frequency, but userspace governor is not available,  
    > > for example because of hardware which cannot be set to a specific frequency  
    > > or because the userspace governor isn't loaded?  
    > > 
    

    Not sure if ondemand is a valid governor.

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • Try:
    restart your laptop, and do a sudo pacman -Syyu

    Did you acticate the service?

    systemctl enable cpupower.service
    

    See: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP][1] … cy_Scaling

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP

    Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

  • @“I-sty”:2upwe1xs said:

    Try:
    restart your laptop, and do a sudo pacman -Syyu

    Did you acticate the service?

    systemctl enable cpupower.service
    

    See: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP][1] … cy_Scaling[/quote:2upwe1xs]

    Done all that, speedstep-lib was accepted etc. but still cpupower gives me a no go

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • I can’t help much with this, but did you check the arch wiki article about it? [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP][1] … cy_Scaling

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP

  • @“faidoc”:52nep2c8 said:

    I can’t help much with this, but did you check the arch wiki article about it? [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP][1] … cy_Scaling[/quote:52nep2c8]

    LoL, see previous post(s)

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • Oh damn xD I missed that line -.-

  • So, these are the steps I took, could be I’m doing something completely wrong…

    1. Completely reinstalled Antergos
    2. Pacman -Syy && Pacman -Syu
    3. Installed cpupower
    4. Followed the guide
    4.1 Pacman -S cpupower
    4.2 systemctl enable cpupower.service
    4.3 ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/
    4.4 modprobe speedstep-lib
    4.5 echo speedstep-lib >/etc/modules-load.d/speedstep-lib.conf
    5. Just to be safe: echo cpufreq_ondemand > /etc/modules-load.d/cpufreq_ondemand

    Still no luck!

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • @“bootz”:ahg7aq0a said:

    So, these are the steps I took, could be I’m doing something completely wrong…

    1. Completely reinstalled Antergos
    2. Pacman -Syy && Pacman -Syu
    3. Installed cpupower
    4. Followed the guide
    4.1 Pacman -S cpupower
    4.2 systemctl enable cpupower.service
    4.3 ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/
    4.4 modprobe speedstep-lib
    4.5 echo speedstep-lib >/etc/modules-load.d/speedstep-lib.conf
    5. Just to be safe: echo cpufreq_ondemand > /etc/modules-load.d/cpufreq_ondemand

    Still no luck![/quote:ahg7aq0a]
    4.2 systemctl enable cpupower.service
    [b:ahg7aq0a]4.2.1 systemctl start cpupower.service[/b:ahg7aq0a]

    Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

  • @“I-sty”:19sqe35x said:

    4.2 systemctl enable cpupower.service
    [b:19sqe35x]4.2.1 systemctl start cpupower.service[/b:19sqe35x]
    …[/quote:19sqe35x]

    Thank you for pointing that out to me but no luck:

    Error still: no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • I will begin testing on other distroś and post my findings here.

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

  • Mission aborted. One brainwave (the first one of my life) brought me to the Intel site and there it stood…:

    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology [b:3vyu32sr]No[/b:3vyu32sr]

    So al your hardwork for nothing, it just isn’t there. I am sorry for wasting all your time

    Antergos: funny name, serious distro

Posts 14Views 3159
Log in to reply
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.