• Problems with built-in display after Kernel 4.0 update(screen flicker and artifacts)

Anyone else experiencing strange screen flicking issues since updating to Kernel 4.0?

The screen brightness intensity randomly and rapidly flickers. I am also noticing screen artifacts at the bottom of the display. It all happens periodically for a few second and stops. The issue doesn’t show up on any ISO that uses a earlier kernels. The flickering doesn’t show up on the external monitor and it doesn’t show up when I am in the Windows partition. I did notice that the flickering happens less in 4.0.1 than it did in 4.0

I just updated to 4.0.2 and the problem is still present. In fact I think I am back to square one with how terrible the screen flickering is.

Dell Inspiron 15 7537
    16GB RAM
    1TB SSD
    Core i7 4510u
    G-Force GT 750m (No Bumblebee setup installed)
    Gnome 3.16 (issue also shows up in KDE Plasma 5)
    LightDM

• @groudie said:

GT 750m

Which video driver are you using? The open source (installed by default) or the proprietary? If you are using the open source driver you should try the Nvidia driver to see if the problem persists. You can install it like this (say yes when prompted about conflicts):

sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils nvidia-libgl

More info here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Installing

• @lots.0.logs I am using the xf86-video-intel drivers. I haven’t installed any nVidia drivers as they tend to brake my system as it has on multiple occasions. I am not using the Open Source drivers either. I installed the LTS kernel and the problem went away. I am guessing it is a kernel bug.

pacman -S linux-lts
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• I have a similar problem.
    The screen rapidly flickers.
    When I move the mouse flicking increases.
    If the mouse is on the right side of the screen, the flicking stops.
    Updated from 3.19 to 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2/4.0.3/4.0.4
    When going back to 3.19 then everything becomes normal.
    I am using the xf86-video-intel drivers.

• @Илья-Филиппов Yup! This is exactly the same problem that I am having.

• Same problem here, with intel chipset!
    Dell Inspiron 5520

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

• Problem fixed by install Kernel 4.1

Posts 7Views 2320