• System won´t boot to Desktop once I install nvidia drivers. (I2c_hid error)

[email protected]!
    Been on this for days now and almost ready to give up. One last attempt is to register here and ask for guidance or I´ll have to go back to Ubuntu :-(

Hardware: - Acer Aspire V Nitro 571G ( Core i5 4210u, 8 GB, Nvidia 840m (optimus) )

I install Antergos x64 with Gnome and it installs just fine (even with LUKS) and boots up into Desktop.

So far so perfect. Now I want to install the proprietary drivers for my Nvidia 840m.

I tried several ways (guides followed from Arch wiki). Just installing nvidia package and run nvidia-config and also the version where I install bumblebee.

Whatever I do I end up with this “error message”, which by the way also shows before installing Nvidia but it still boots up without Nvidia.

i2c_hid i2c-SYN1B7F:01: failed to retrieve report from device

I know it has something to do with the synaptics touchpad (wich works just fine after installation). So I found hints to blacklist i2c-hid. If I do this the touchpad is not working at all. Installing synpatics xf86 also does not help.

If I blacklist this the error is gone but then system still just hangs and does not load to Desktop once Nvidia is installed.

I am really at a loss here. Just want my Laptop to run Antergos and also use my Nvidia to its fullest (games on the one hand and power saving considerations)

Please any advice is welcome!

• @Antergoste22 said:

i2c_hid i2c-SYN1B7F:01: failed to retrieve report from device

Hi,

Sorry that you are having trouble getting your system operating properly. We’ll do our best to help resolve it if at all possible :smile:

I doubt that the touchpad has anything to do with why your system won’t boot once the NVIDIA drivers are installed. It may be the last thing you see on the screen but keep in mind that you aren’t seeing everything. In fact, what’s shown on the screen during boot is a fraction of what’s actually going on in the background. If you could, please follow the HOWTO located in the top of each forum in the Technical Issues section to obtain your logs and then post them here. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Ok I will try to do that. Will first have to install again.

Note sure if I can even access ctrl+alt+f2 after Nvidia was installed but will try to get the logs via commandline somehow (never done that before).

Will report back with logs once I had a chance to try again.

• Hi,

Managed to get it working by using Bumblebee. Not exactly how I had it with Ubuntu (switch and log out and back in) but it seems to work ok even with virtualGL overhead.

I also have an idea as to why it did not work with just nvidia. Seems xorg needs the BusID for intel and Nvidia both listed in xorg. Maybe I will give a try wit the Xorg I have from my Ubuntu install.

For now all works but my Bluetooth headset. Am digging through the WIKIs as to why it will pair but not connect.

P.S which is the DE with the most vertical space? I feel Gnome wastes alot here when running firefox.

• @Antergoste22 said:

P.S which is the DE with the most vertical space? I feel Gnome wastes alot here when running firefox.

They can all become minimal if you just know how to do it.

GNOME:
    Install one or both of these two extensions, Maximus Two and Hide Top Bar.

Maximus Two will hide the titlebar of an application once it is maximized.
    Hide Top Bar hides the GNOME panel at the top of the shell. You can make it show like a dock just by moving your mouse to the edge.

You can get both of these extensions from my website where I updated them for 3.16 = http://michaeltunnell.com/blog/16-linux/56-my-updated-316-packages-for-gnome-extensions

Firefox:
    There is an extension called “Toolbar Autohide” which allows you to hide the Tab bar, Address bar, and Bookmarks bar based on personal preference. You can reshow them like a dock just by moving your mouse to the edge.

Toolbar Autohide also allows you to show all of the bars at once just by activating the Address bar shortcut of Ctrl+L.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fullscreen-toolbar-hover/?src=search

With the combination of those extensions you can have 100% control over the vertical screen real estate of your GNOME setup.

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• Thx for all these tips!

Will give them a try! Sure some of it is what I am looking for.

Now I only need my bluetooth headset working but if I need help there I will open a new thread.

Thx to all so far! Much appreciated

Posts 6Views 1498