• Issues with Displays

So I have a desktop that has a GeForce GTX 660 Graphics card that is running alongside an Intel I-5 CPU that has an iGPU built in. Now I have been running into issues that I can’t seem to have found an answer by googling and thought maybe someone here has solved this problem. I would like to use both my dedicated graphics card for games and my built in graphics for web browsing and code editing. I run into a problem as I looked up the drivers for my graphics card and they are mutually exclusive from the ones required by my iGPU. I was wondering if someone else had experienced this problem and what they did to overcome it or is it just a dead end? Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

• Yes I just went through the tutorial at the top of this section and I always get stuck after installing nvidia drivers at Reached target Graphical Interface and can’t continue on from there in the boot process. This unfortunately has been quite a headache and I guess I shouldn’t be gaming anyways so who knows if it can be helped.

• Grab X’s log when it gets stuck at graphical.target:

1. Switch VT’s (Ctrl + Alt + F2) and log in.
    2. Create a directory for the logs: mkdir ~/logs
    3. Copy X server log cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/logs
    4. Copy session log cp ~/xsession-errors ~/logs
    5. Copy LightDM log sudo cp /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log ~/logs
    6. Finally get the system journal sudo journalctl -b -0 --no-pager > ~/logs/journal.log

Then you can revert back to the working drivers and post the logs here. Cheers!

• So I was able to get that working this last running except xsession-errors appears to be non existent.

• That’s to be expected if your session is not starting. I just wanted to be sure it wasn’t starting and then failing.

• Thanks it was a group effort but between the awesome people on this forum I can know at least log in to see gnome 3 working with my video card. Steam on the other hand is being kinda jerky but hopefully will figure that out soon enough as to why.

Posts 7Views 1317