• Problems with fan after 4.0 kernel update

After the update to kernel 4.0 the fan gets every ~5 seconds quite loud. This is really annoying. Any idea how to solve that?

• Is it a kernel problem or something keeps your CPU busy? Have you tried running the “top” command to see what` happening?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• CPU load is below 5% for every core

• Hi,

Try installing the LTS kernel and then boot with it. If the problem goes away then you know its a kernel bug and can stick with the LTS kernel until the bug is fixed:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• @lots.0.logs Thanks. The problem is gone now. So it’s a kernel bug

• You’re welcome!

• Or, try this param in the kernel line:

acpi_osi=Linux

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

• @I-sty said:

Or, try this param in the kernel line:

acpi_osi=Linux

Thanks a lot. This solved it

Edit: After a reboot it was only gone for about 5 minutes and now the fan gets again every 5 seconds very loud 😕

• my kernel is 4.0.4 and after a while when i start working with my laptop, it really gets hot and the fans making loud noise could this issue applies to me as well?

• Ubuntu with kernel 3.19; CPU is always super hot.

Was also very hot when I was on Arch with kernel 4.0.4, even without any display server running.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Installed Kernel 4.1.2 and still the same problem with the fan

Posts 11Views 3661
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.