• [Solved]Nvidia issue... blank screen after reboot

Blank screen after reboot.
    I have HP dv9700 laptop with nvidia G86M (GeForce 8400M GS).
    Antergos installed successfully using Xfce desktop.
    Followed Arch Linux instruction on how to install nvidia driver and used nvidia-340xx, nvidia-340xx-libgl via the terminal. Did tried the add/remove software way as well. Both failed.
    Why is this happening?
    Arch Linux said that nouveau will be removed after reboot?

• i had same problem when i tryed to install lts drivers, are you trying to install lts or normal nvidia drivers? also im not sure if it helps but i installed libgl after reboot after installing 340 drivers.

• Did you also install the nvidia-utils package for the 340xx driver?

• @Stepanyuk said:

i had same problem when i tryed to install lts drivers, are you trying to install lts or normal nvidia drivers? also im not sure if it helps but i installed libgl after reboot after installing 340 drivers.

I installed all of them in one go… is that bad?
    Did you only installed two? The nvidia-340xx and nvidia-340xx-libgl?

@lots.0.logs said:

Did you also install the nvidia-utils package for the 340xx driver?

No. I didn’t. Is that necessary?

Scared to do it again until I get enough info to do it right lol.

• I dont know if its bad i just had problems with screen like you did when i tryed to install it in one go so it may be a case. thats what i done to make it work:
    1 pacman -S nvidia
    2reboot
    3nvidia-libgl
    4configurated xorg-server
    5rebooted again

• For your card, a simple
    $ sudo pacman -S nvidia-340xx nvidia-340xx-libgl
    confirm replacing mesa gl by nvidia libgl and then reboot, should work.
    No need for extra configuration.

a warm place with no memory

• Okay. This is what I noticed…
    Installed nvidia-340xx and rebooted. No problems.
    Next, installed nvidia-340xx-libgl and asked me to replace mesa-libgl with nvidia-libgl because of conflict. Rebooted and the blank screen came back.
    Fixed it by going into command prompt and typed nvidia-xconfig. Rebooted and it came back fine.

Something about replacing mesa-libgl caused the screen to go blank.

Thank you for all your suggestions

• Could you be more specific when you say command prompt? I have been having issues with black and white screens and its kinda driving me a little nutty.

• @Luke-Greenleaf He means in a console. Just press CTRL+ALT+F2 and login there. You will be able to type commands as if in a graphical terminal.

Cheers!

• @Luke-Greenleaf said:

Could you be more specific when you say command prompt? I have been having issues with black and white screens and its kinda driving me a little nutty.

Yep. Just press CTRL+ALT+F2 and login.
    Then, type nvidia-xconfig and ignore the warning message. Reboot and you’re good to go.

• You guys rule thanks so much it seems to have worked swimmingly! Thanks again and have a great day.

• Folks, I’m stuck in the same spot. Got Antergos installed and was so happy but now I’ve got a black screen with a blinking cursor. Of course I have an Nvidia card too. Specifically the Nvidia GeForce 6150. I installed the 340xx drivers and the libl but have no idea what to do next. I typed nvidia-xconfig and rebooted but I’m still at a black screen with a blinking cursor. What have I done wrong? Should I just wipe the slate clean and reinstall my distro?

• what is the latest version for nvidia?

• @han2007 I can only use the 340xx drivers. Those are what are listed as appropriate for my device.

• Well, I can’t wait any longer. I’ll try to boot up to the desktop with the live cd and see if I can figure out how to fix it. It’s possible i may have installed the wrong libl file. I have the 64bit version installed and it uses a different libl file.

• I installed everything today, blacklisted the nouveau driver, rebooted and got an ugly desktop that was around 640 by whatever. I tried to start nvidia and got an evil message telling me that the XServer didn’t start properly. So, I went to the root, searched online and issued a command that I thought would restart the xserver. Now I have a black screen again. Does anyone here know the proper command to restart the XServer?

I want to add one other thing. I’m using Antergos 64 bit and I installed the driver and libgl files listed about because they appear to be the correct ones for my GeForce 6150 card. Did I install the wrong driver?

• Arch linux wiki said for Geforce 6000 or 7000 use 304xx
    Not 340xx

• @MrRoberts Now the system won’t let me uninstall the drivers because it tells me other applications need the libl file. There must be a way to fix this, right?

• Mr. Robert et All, just want to report back that my system is up and running and I even installed Pale Moon, so I’m a happy camper. My system was complaining so much about me trying to install both that I decided to uninstall just the video card driver and reboot. Then when i logged back in via terminal, I installed the 304xx driver and darn if it didn’t ask me if I wanted to replace the 340xx libl file with a 304xx libl file. Yay. Now the desktop looks great, all my apps are working perfectly and I’m happily enjoying the fun place called Antergos land. Cheers to all.

nvidia100 reboot10 340xx1 blank12 Posts 19Views 14814