• [SOLVED] nvidia installed but opengl is GLX? please help steam will not run.

Hello all, after a brief and disappointing stay with fedora I have reinstalled antergos on my machine. I have an Nvidia 660 gtx graphics card and so I installed the nvidia package per the arch wiki but I cannot get steam to start I get an X Error ( failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter). The output of glxinfo says:

name of display: :0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
    GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    client glx extensions:

So I guess it is using software rendering instead of nvidia since it lists SGI instead of nvidia? I am a little out of my depth here, please help! thanks in advance :)

• Ok I have done much googling and found out there is an nvidia bug reporter script that creates a very detailed report. the report mentions among many things this error message.

Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
    log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
    server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
    you continue to encounter problems, Please try
    reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

How do I find out if the correct GLX module is loaded in my Xserver? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia driver twice to no avail.

• Hi,

Check that you have installed nvidia-libgl. It appears you might not have.

Cheers!

• That was it. Installed nvidia-libgl and it works perfectly. Thanks for the help. Looking back at the arch wiki page I must have skimmed over the bit about installing nvidia-libgl along with the nvidia package. On a side note, when I looked in the nvidia bug report it mentioned that the acpid service was not running and nvidia uses that. I installed and enabled it yesterday and it is currently running on my system however the arch wiki mentions that gnome might not like working with acpid. Should I remove/disable acpid? Do I need it? Thanks!

• I would keep it installed. It can’t hurt, it can only be beneficial ;-)

• I will definitely keep it around then. Thanks a bunch! :)

Posts 6Views 2013