• [solved] Playing a .mp4 file in VLC crashes X / Xorg

Whenever I try to play a .mp4 video in VLC, X will crash. Display will keep displaying the last frame before the crash, but nothing will respond to mouse/keyboard or console commands. I’m not even able to switch to a VT (but I can ssh to my laptop just fine regardless). Sound will continue to work.

I also can’t seem to restart X/dm in any way (killall -9 Xorg, systemctl restart sddm), the only solution to this problem is reboot.

Hardware:
    Laptop: HP pavilion dv7
    GPU: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (open source driver)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB

VLC hadrware acceleration setting: default.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/5vYY503E

• Weird.
    Time to change your favorite video player.

sudo pacman -S smplayer

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Tamius-Han that is odd. i use amd open source also and dont have any problems with any video files using VLC.

@yash suggested another good media player in smplayer. see how it does in there.

actually lots of good media players on linux.

• I didn’t have issues with smplayer, but turns out smplayer doesn’t play nice when playing stuff on NFS shares.

VLC also stopped crashing X the next day, and the next, and it still works today. Given the updates happen at least once a day, sometimes more and given that I update as soon as I get notified there’s an update, there’s two things that happened:

1. There was some random update that messed something up and the next update unmessed it
    2. A phase-of-the-moon bug
  • Nothing beats VLC. It’ll play almost anything :wink:

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs
    Bink Videos and .VP6 videos ;)
    VLC can’t play either of these.
    Mplayer/SMplayer plays both of these flawlessly ;)
    and I havent seen anything yet that VLC can play but mplayer can’t :)

Cheers!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Yash Wth are Bink Videos? I never heard of .VP6 either. Now, I am going to have to google this thanks to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• ive never heard of those video formats either. i have both vlc and smplayer installed. both great video players :sunglasses:

• @lots-0-logs @megaman
    Both are cutscene video formats used in most of the windows games.

So, if wine fails to run some game, enjoy the cutscenes xD

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

xorg22 vlc13 crash19 Posts 9Views 4927