• [solved] Playing a .mp4 file in VLC crashes X / Xorg

Whenever I try to play a .mp4 video in VLC, X will crash. Display will keep displaying the last frame before the crash, but nothing will respond to mouse/keyboard or console commands. I’m not even able to switch to a VT (but I can ssh to my laptop just fine regardless). Sound will continue to work.

I also can’t seem to restart X/dm in any way (killall -9 Xorg, systemctl restart sddm), the only solution to this problem is reboot.

Hardware:
    Laptop: HP pavilion dv7
    GPU: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (open source driver)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB

VLC hadrware acceleration setting: default.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/5vYY503E

• Weird.
    Time to change your favorite video player.

sudo pacman -S smplayer

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Tamius-Han that is odd. i use amd open source also and dont have any problems with any video files using VLC.

@yash suggested another good media player in smplayer. see how it does in there.

actually lots of good media players on linux.

• I didn’t have issues with smplayer, but turns out smplayer doesn’t play nice when playing stuff on NFS shares.

VLC also stopped crashing X the next day, and the next, and it still works today. Given the updates happen at least once a day, sometimes more and given that I update as soon as I get notified there’s an update, there’s two things that happened:

1. There was some random update that messed something up and the next update unmessed it
    2. A phase-of-the-moon bug
  • Nothing beats VLC. It’ll play almost anything 😉

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs
    Bink Videos and .VP6 videos 😉
    VLC can’t play either of these.
    Mplayer/SMplayer plays both of these flawlessly 😉
    and I havent seen anything yet that VLC can play but mplayer can’t 🙂

Cheers!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Yash Wth are Bink Videos? I never heard of .VP6 either. Now, I am going to have to google this thanks to you 😜

• ive never heard of those video formats either. i have both vlc and smplayer installed. both great video players 😎

• @lots-0-logs @megaman
    Both are cutscene video formats used in most of the windows games.

So, if wine fails to run some game, enjoy the cutscenes xD

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

xorg26 crash23 vlc21 Posts 9Views 6348
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.