asdfasd fa
    [d@antergos ~]$ sudo echo asdfasd fdda >> .config/openbox/autostart
    [d@antergos ~]$ cat .config/openbox/autostart
    asdfasd fdda
    asdfasd fdda
    asdfasd fdda

I have a backup. It’s really weird that appened wiped my file and then functioned properly. :|

• You should not use sudo within your /home directory. It did not wipe the file, it simply changed its owner to root which means you couldnt access it. You can change it back using this command:

sudo chown  d:users ~/.config/openbox/autostart

Cheers!

• Thank you for your reply. While I’m not exactly sure about how sudo works to this day… and any advice is appreciated, the way i understand things, if you look at the code above, it did “wipe” the file contents because it replaced it completely and I was left only with what I wanted to append and nothing else. I also don’t get why you say I couldn’t access it, I could: cat returned contents and not some access error.

I used sudo because I think I got the impression it was already already denying access otherwise. I don’t know why but I could imagine needing sudo to gain access to modify a file, while at the same time a regular owner could use it and read it and own it.

I guess I might have created a file owned by root, the system totally disregarding that there’s another one owned by someone else already. That’s why append worked the second time.

• @distrohopp As a rule of thumb, you never need to use sudo when working with files that are in your home dir. ;)

bash error1 wtf1 Posts 4Views 958