• Antergos on Acer Chromebook 13 (nyan-big)

I recently bought an Acer Chromebook 13 CB5-311
    It’s based on the Tegra K1

I love the device due to its speed, price, fanlessness and endurance. ChromeOS is great, but I would also like to put my favorite linux on it. Here are my attempts so far:

• Chrubuntu - works great, but is limited to trusty
    • chroot linux - works, but sucks
    • Build own 3.10 Kernel - works
    • Boot ArchLInuxArm with own Kernel - works, but I don’t know how to continue from there

I would love to build a 4.0 Kernel, which has mainline support for Tegra K1, put Arch on it and make this Arch more Antergos. Could you give me some startpoints, tips? (I got no idea of kernel building)

Another Idea: I 'm working at acer, so I get a few % off. If I manage to collect some donations and donate a Chromebook to the Antergos developers, could official support be possible?

• @josie87

There was some work done running Antergos in a Chromebook, but I do not recall what was the result (or even if it was possible or not). Let me check it.

Another Idea: I 'm working at acer, so I get a few % off. If I manage to collect some donations and donate a Chromebook to the Antergos developers, could official support be possible?

That would be awesome! Anyway, as I said, let me check it before doing this.

Cheers!

• Unfortunately Chromebooks are not made to support other OS’s…i bough one last year to have a spare laptop that i could experiment with Linux distros on. after multiple attempts to whip out Chrome OS and run Linux i found out that the hardware is only setup to run Chrome OS because Chrome OS is a stupid light OS…you might be able to run Antergos Mate or XFCE because there light weight but it wont run very well…if your worried about price i would say go for a toshiba satellite C55-B5302 that’s my main laptop…although i’m not a fan of Intel processors and prefer AMD the processing power in this never disappoints…there is and AMD version but its a rip off the processor is not a quality AMD and it also has a nice wide screen display and a lot of other great features and it cost me $250+tax…for my first personal computer that is only for myself i’m very happy with it and you have to change some boot options but once you do you can convert the Windows OS to Linux easily

• I wouldn’t say so. My Chromebook has a Tegra K1 with 4x2.1 Ghz and 4Gb ram. There is also a 32GB SSD. This is enough to run Ubuntu Gnome (trusty) very fluently. Boot up is very fast, too. The GPU also seems to be quite powerful. Remember that the same Chipset powers the NVidia shield. I think it would be great to run Antergos (just from the specs). Nevertheless Xfce/openbox packages are available through ALARM.

The Chromebook itself stands out in the following points (regarding the price):

• good build quality
    • nice material
    • minimalistic outside / clean look
    • good keyboard
    • non-glare full-hd screen
    • good tp
    • slim
    • fanless / completely noiseless (no hdd)
    • great sound

If these features could be combined with one of the best (the best for me) Linux distributions, we get an affordable Linux Ultrabook for everyone.

And about specs: the default Antergos runs very smooth on my Desktop/Gaming rig with a fx8350+gtx580 but ran also perfectly smooth on my old laptop with an a6-1450 (4x1.0Ghz). I think Antergos already is pretty lightweight. Maybe one of the reasons we all love it for.

• @karasu

any news?

• @josie87 Alex Skinner (another Antergos developer) did manage to install it in a Chromebook, but I do not recall what he did to success in doing it.

I’m waiting for his response.

Cheers!

• I followed this Arch wiki and have been using Antergos on my Acer C720 Chromebook for about 3 months now with only a pesky lightdm issue which was solved by switching to GDM.

• Thanks for the tip, but installing Linux on a x86 machine is a totally different story and much easier than the arm process. Arm devices feature no legacy boot (as far as I know) and require you to build a kernel first.

chromebook !=chromebook ;-)

• update:

I had some time today. So I played a bit:

• compiling linux 4.02 works, including modules, signing, etc… no make errors - getting just a black screen when booting
    • chromeos-3.18 branch of chromiumos kernel - same as above
    • chromeos-3.10 branch of chromiumos kernel works like a charm. When I use the ArchLinuxArm rootfs and make modules_install, I even get working usb, lan, wifi. I think one could set up Arch from there,

As build system I used Chrubuntu on the chromebook itself (I m not at home) with gcc 5.1/4.9

I think the general problem is my lack of kernel-building-experience and setting-up-arch-from-scratch-experience. I’m just doing try+error :-)

If anybody is interested, I can share scripts / write a guide how I got to this point.

• got kernel 4.0 working

• need help with modules and set up of rootfs
    kernel boots fine and got lan acess

• So I’m back.

After some half-working 4.0 upstream kernels, I tryed a different approach:

modify the chrubuntu-script to make it work with ArchLinuxArm. Basically it uses the modules and kernel of ChromeOS. This is 3.10.18 at the moment. The script works fine now (still needs some tweaks).

I set up ArchLinuxArm with Xfce4 and Gnome3. Gnome 3 is themed with Antergos packages.

Download is at the bottom of this post.

working:
    sound
    keyboard
    touch pad
    webcam
    software renderer

problems:
    battery indicator
    custom service hide_wifi (for hiding/disabling obsolete wifi interfaces) doesn’t work at startup, manually starting works
    3d acceleration

Help needed:

battery indicator:
    I guess that I’m missing some kind of service for that

hide_wifi:
    I think that didn’t configure the systemd service properly (it’s my first time)

3d:
    I heard that the nvidia binaries for ubuntu could be used. Is that possible? How?

I tryed to compile nouveau from source, following the instructions on their home page, didn’t work.

I hope that someone with a deeper Linux knowledge than me could have a look at my rootfs and help me to sort the problems out.

logins:

root
    root

user
    user

root starts in xfce4
    user starts in gnome3

link:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9-GXL-am7DoVVNXd1g2RnM0S3c&usp=sharing

• Update: Upload done

nyan-big1 tegra1 chromebook1 Posts 13Views 3910