• Move window control buttons

Hi.
    Have just installed Antergos with the Gnome Desktop. Love it so far :-) The clean desktop and simplicity.
    What I can’t figure out is , how to move the Window control buttons from right to left (Mac-style).
    Tried make some changes in the gconf-editor, but result was, that Gnome Tweak Tool wouldn’t start up.
    So, how do I make that change?

• Hi, I can’t test it now, but I think that this was the way:

• Use dconf-editor (and not gconf-editor). You’ll have to install it if it’s not already installed.
    • Go to org → gnome → shell → overrides → button layout. Change it to close,minimize,maximize: (note the : at the end)
    • Restart gnome-shell (alt+f2, gnome-shell r)

Disclaimer: I’ve never tested this with Gnome 3.16, so I do not even know if it’s possible to do it or not. ;)

Tell us how it goes.

• “Button layout” does not exist on that location (org → gnome → shell → overrides ).
    So I can’t change it :-(

• @Svante

Try this:

org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences.button layout

Cheers!

• It looks like this now: 'appmenu:minimize,maximize,close’
    Is it save to change it and leave out ‘appmenu’? And what does that ‘appmenu’ mean here?

• Ask Fedora! Who else would know Gnome better?:smile:
    https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/61076/how-do-i-move-fedora-21-gnome-shell-window-buttons-to-the-left/

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @Svante : It means application menu. The important thing is that you put minimize,maximize and close before the :

@anarch: Is exactly what I said… xD

• @karasu said:

Disclaimer: I’ve never tested this with Gnome 3.16, so I do not even know if it’s possible to do it or not.

Heheheh!!! You seemed a bit uncertain and tried to pass the responsibility over to Fedora!:angel:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I had some problems the first time I tried to remove ‘appmenu’, but it seems to work now.

• Was surprised to see text editing in a gnome thread.

It’s much simpler in OB. :) I removed all those buttons deleting 3 letters, (don’t need them) and I can still use a theme that looks like I’m on elementary.

• Was surprised to see text editing in a gnome thread.

In Gnome they’re hiding as many options as they can. They think the user is dumb and can’t be asked with setup options.

KDE is the other way around, too many setup options (imho), but I prefer it.

Cheers!

gnome215 Posts 11Views 4646