• Change desktop environment?

Hi. just installed the latest Antergos 64-bit. Nice work! Thanks for it.

I chose XFCE because it’s quite light. I would like to see how Gnome behaves. Do I have to redownload the .iso, or can I install other environments?

Thanks for your help.

• You just need to install Gnome, and you will be able to choose it from a login screen.
    sudo pacman -S gnome
    will download the whole Gnome group.

• Be warned that this way you’ll have the “default” setup, not the Antergos one.

Cheers!

• Thanks! I appreciate the help.

• @karasu said:

Be warned that this way you’ll have the “default” setup, not the Antergos one.

By the way, how can one have the Antergos DE setups if he wants to change or add more than one DEs?:question:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @George-Pantelis

By the way, how can one have the Antergos DE setups if he wants to change or add more than one DEs?

Good question that it has not a good answer, I’m afraid.

There’s something we wanted to do for a long time… for now, the only thing you can do is check cnchi’s postinstall script, and mimic what’s done there (cnchi/scripts/postinstall.sh)

Sorry I do not have a better answer.

Cheers!

• @karasu said:

Sorry I do not have a better answer

No worries, mate. Thanks for your reply!:thumbsup:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @karasu said in Change desktop environment?:

Be warned that this way you’ll have the “default” setup, not the Antergos one.

Cheers!

Hi I’m sorry to bump an old topic but there was no justification for a new one. When you say ‘setup’ in this context, what sort of configuration are talking about; if it’s just aesthetics and preferences I would proceed and just change. But, if it’s dependencies and other such things that will actually result in stuff not working, then I’d just stick where I am. I chose KDE but would like to switch to gnome, but I’m a noob and don’t want to mess with something that I am pretty happy with.

• i want also to take the oportunity of this post to suggest the option to install as many desktops during the Antergos instalation, not just the option to pick one of them. It’s easier than have to install them “manually” later.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• It’s just aesthetics and preferences ;)

Installing more than one desktop would make the installation endless… I’ll think about it, though.

Cheers!

• +1 to have the option of installing more than 1. I usually use KDE but after booting the livecd and seeing how nice it looked (with Gnome 3) I was frustrated couldn’t choose both.

Posts 11Views 6909