• Worrying on the #Antergos IRC channel ops

Hi,

I am a little worried on the IRC channel and the situation with ops.

Currently there appear to be only two ops, faidoc and MichaelTunnell. I
    don’t think I have ever seen faidoc on the channel or at least I haven’t
    talked with them and MichaellTunnell isn’t always even connected.

There are also issues with flags, faidoc is the founder with normal set
    o flags and MichaelTunnell has very limited access, only +o which allows
    them to set mode +o or -o on themselves or other people on the channel.

I personally usually give these two relevant flags (which are adjusted
    to freenode recommendation of not having ops opped
    that Antergos appears to follow)to ops on my channels:

• normal ops = +voirtAe
    • super ops = +vosirRftAe

For ops this means:

• v - can use voice/devoice commands
    • o - can use op/deop commands
    • i - can use the invite command
    • r - can use the unban command
    • t - can use topic/topicappend command
    • A - can see the access list and use /msg memoserv sendops command
    • e - can unban themselves

so basically everything they can do anyway by opping themselves with +owith
    the exception of self-unbanning.

And in addition to this, sops can:

• s - can use set command
    • R - can use recover/sync/clear commands
    • f - can modify the channel access list
      • users with +f can only set/unset the flags they have on other users
        and flags of founders cannot be changed without being founder.

For more of my templates pleaase see cstemplate.

I think MichaelTunnell should have the sop flags and there should be more
    ops.

At the time I wrote this, 2015-04-26 13:45Z, the ops were last seen:

• faidoc - Apr 10 02:08:27 2015 (2w 2d 11h ago)
    • MichaeTtunnell - Apr 23 10:07:03 2015 (3d 3h 36m 47s ago)
  • I would like to add my support to Mikaela’s suggestion. She and I are very active in the IRC channel, and, though we have yet to have any issues, it would be nice to have a few more ops available. We have been seeing more and more traffic in the IRC, and it should stay the helpful, welcoming place it has been.

• Hi,

It’s like Chinese to me, but I’ll speak with Faidoc about this.

Cheers!

• Thanks.

I also remembeed another issue. When there are no ops around, you are supposed to go to #freenode and as for staffer and they will start by checking that they have flags and that there are no ops with low idletime.

Currently if something happened, they would see that there are no flags for them so they would think that Antergos people don’t want them to intervene. This would be solved with /msg ChanServ flags #antergos *!*@freenode/staff/* +voirtAe and I think I already opened these flags.

Many edits, because this bottom bar is very annoying and preventing me from seeing what I type…

• Hey now, I’m there too :D

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• i never really got in to IRC myself. the message boards always worked best for me. i might try it out sometime though :+1:

• Hi,

I’m still waiting for an answer from Faidoc, I’ll post it here as soon as I get it.

Cheers!

• This is a little disheartening to me. I took a trip for a Linux project I work on to Linux Fest Northwest and all of the sudden a thread is made because I was absent for 3 days? Really?

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• @MichaelTunnell This thread was made, because there are no 24/7 connected ops so when channel issue happens, it’s word of one person against word of another person.

There should always be at least one op connected and seeing issues and preferably to take attention soon.

For example, #znc at freenode alongside multiple other channels was attacked with one user sending the same message every ~15 seconds spamming the channel and ops taking hours to appear. A least they where connected to see the issue.

• If anyone wanted to contact me for any reason whatsoever it is incredibly easy to do so.

My name is MichaelTunnell, my website is my name plus .com and contacting me is simple as http://michaeltunnell.com/contact

I had someone contact me through that method regarding some GNOME stuff I was working on while I was gone so perfectly timed proof that it was an option.

Email me while I am not on, then I get on and address the issue. I am always available to the community to message regardless of being on IRC or not.

Just to be clear, I am not against more mods being created I am just somewhat dissappoined that I was gone for just a few days and all of the sudden it creates an issue. I like to think I’ve done a pretty good job with OPing the channel and being available 24/7. I understand that I can’t be the only mod forever though.

As for the giving me more powers, Mikaela is totally right about that. :)

• I would like to make it more clear that I didn’t mean to attack anyone with this thread and I had this thing on my mind for longer time and I just happened to talk with @pid1 about something and mentioned these concerns and that I have wondered if I should write about it and they thought that I should.

@MichaelTunnell being away was just coincidense and @faidoc I cannot remember ever seeing on the channel, but I admittably haven’t been there that long time.

There was one event that bothered me while there were no ops, but it happened some time after writing this and it doesn’t feel so important anymore.

I am sorry if anyone feels attacked.

• im just upset im not going to finland :cry: :disappointed_relieved:

but seriously i think this is just some miscommunication and everything is good :bowtie: :ok_hand:

• @MichaelTunnell

@MichaelTunnell said:

This is a little disheartening to me. I took a trip for a Linux project I work on to Linux Fest Northwest and all of the sudden a thread is made because I was absent for 3 days? Really?

DId you see Bryan Lunduke’s presentation Windows is awesome? I enjoy watching them on youtube, I’d like to see them live.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn I actually can’t stand him at all. He is a lying troll so I wouldn’t even consider listening to him lie.

• @MichaelTunnell said:

If anyone wanted to contact me for any reason whatsoever it is incredibly easy to do so.

My name is MichaelTunnell, my website is my name plus .com and contacting me is simple as http://michaeltunnell.com/contact

I had someone contact me through that method regarding some GNOME stuff I was working on while I was gone so perfectly timed proof that it was an option.

Email me while I am not on, then I get on and address the issue. I am always available to the community to message regardless of being on IRC or not.

Just to be clear, I am not against more mods being created I am just somewhat dissappoined that I was gone for just a few days and all of the sudden it creates an issue. I like to think I’ve done a pretty good job with OPing the channel and being available 24/7. I understand that I can’t be the only mod forever though.

As for the giving me more powers, Mikaela is totally right about that. :)

While I certainly agree that we could use more than one OP on #antergos, I feel its equally important that the community understands that we are always available regardless of whether or not one of us is on the channel. As @MichaelTunnell said, we are very easy to reach should you need to contact us. I am in front of the computer practically 24/7 between my day job and antergos. I monitor the forum feed constantly and I respond to e-mails within 10 minutes if I’m not sleeping. My point is, should there ever be a problem we are available. All one has to do is send an e-mail or post in the forum. That being said, we will discuss all of this and decide what action (if any) is needed. We will let you guys know what we decide, of course!

Cheers!

• @MichaelTunnell said:

@Wyn I actually can’t stand him at all. He is a lying troll so I wouldn’t even consider listening to him lie.

Oh. I can understand why, but from his the perspective he makes some interesting points. Including people using windows themes in Linux.

• @Wyn

Including people using windows themes in Linux.

A bit offtopic but why would somebody want to do that? xD

• @karasu said:

@Wyn

Including people using windows themes in Linux.

A bit offtopic but why would somebody want to do that? xD

I was surprised to see a Windows xp theme the top downloaded theme for kde off kde-look.

http://kde-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&xcontentmode=8x9x10x11x12x13x14x15x16

• Bumb, it has been five months and nothing has happened. If @faidoc has no interest towards IRC, could they at least visit the channel once and make @MichaelTunnell co-founder with /msg ChanServ flags #antergos MichaelTunnell +F* and if they don’t want to be a ghost there, /msg ChanServ flags #antergos faidoc -*F.

• I think freenode would also be happy if some official representative of Antergos would sent an email from @antergos.com to [email protected] or even [email protected] and asking for @MichaelTunnell to be made the founder.

ops1 irc6 Posts 22Views 5648