• Unable to install bootloader

When doing an install, and making a custom partition
    30gb /
    468gb /home

both formatted as btrfs and encrypted with luks, also tried using ext4 and no encryption, and using grub2, after the process of downloading all packages and installing, and error comes up and says,

“IMPORTANT: There may have been a problem with the bootloader installation which could prevent your system from booting properly.”

• Was it an EFI boot partition or a non-EFI one? What partition table did you use on the drive?

EFI boot only works with GPT partition tables while non-EFI Grub works with MSDOS/MBR partition tables.

• The installer shouldnt have let you continue without either a /boot partition (for BIOS) or a /boot/efi partition (for UEFI) since you chose btrfs for your /. If you could provide the installer log located in the /tmp directory that would be helpful. Thanks.

• It was on a non-efi mobo, and using a gpt partition table.

I’ll do another install and grab the logs in a little bit, it happens every single time, even if I let cnchi automatically partition everything.

This also happens to me in VirtualBox…

• Installing this morning, I no longer get the error, but it still fails to boot. I get the bios screen, “Please insert bootable media and reboot”

[logs.tar](uploading 100%)

And it tells me the entity is too large, so here is the log:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6PellpaXqO1d0RpZ1oyRzFVdkE/view?usp=sharing

• @Zerqz Okay, so there’s deifnitly a bug in that you were able to continue with a broken partition layout. If you are going to use btrfs, you must create a separate ext2 /boot partition. Try that and it should work fine. Let me know. Thanks.

• @lots.0.logs said:

@Zerqz Okay, so there’s deifnitly a bug in that you were able to continue with a broken partition layout. If you are going to use btrfs, you must create a separate ext2 /boot partition. Try that and it should work fine. Let me know. Thanks.

Same thing;
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6PellpaXqO1a3NQa0w0ZGc0cjA/view?usp=sharing

I have tried now on btrfs, and ext4, both with and without a ext2 /boot partition and both with and without encryption, I get the same thing all the time, it says its fine, but when I reboot there’s nothing. I have not tried using “auto’mode” because I have multiple drives in all my machines, and it scares the hell outta me.

I’m using the iommu=pt kernel argument when I first boot from the live iso to stop the amd-vi errors, but that wouldn’t cause this… other than that everythings pretty basic. The only 2 things in extras are AUR and printer support.

• @Zerqz said:

@lots.0.logs said:

@Zerqz
    I have not tried using “auto’mode” because I have multiple drives in all my machines, and it scares the hell >outta me.

Now I tried auto-mode… same thing, bootloader won’t install but it doesn’t give me an error.

• @Zerqz It looks like the installer is not creating the 2MB BIOS Boot partition that grub requires when installing on a non UEFI system using GPT. We’ll have to do some more testing. In the meantime, you should be able to get a bootable install by using the standard MSDOS partition table.

• @Zerqz It looks like the installer is not creating the 2MB BIOS Boot partition that grub requires when >installing on a non UEFI system using GPT. We’ll have to do some more testing. In the meantime, you >should be able to get a bootable install by using the standard MSDOS partition table.

The installer will create that partition only if we create a GPT partition table from scratch (clicking the create partition table button). This, of course, will erase al previous partitions already existing on the selected disk. On the other hand, if the disk has already a GPT partition table the 2MB Bios partition that grub requires won’t be created.

I’m not saying this is the correct™ way, it’s just how it is now.

• Oh, and in Automatic mode works this way:
    Are you using an UEFI System? Then GPT is used whereas if it’s a BIOS system, MBR is used.
    As simple as that.

Cheers!

• I am joining this a bit late, but why did you set up your drive as GPT with a non UEFI MOBO?
    I think you shot yourself in the foot doing that as karasu kind of implied.
    I realize it’s probably too late for you to switch to NON-GPT, just a comment perhaps for people thinking of doing the same thing.

• @karasu Im using a non-uefi boot because uefi is a pain :P , didn’t think the partition table would matter because I created the partitions as follows;

/boot 1gb
    / 35gb
    /home the rest

and assigned them all as such, but it still failed to boot. I’ll try creating it as a different partition table to see what happens and let you know, thanks!

• Please, anyone who can correct me, go right ahead.
    I believe the issue is this.
    Non-UEFI MOBO - Boot partition on boot partition of GPT disk
    BIOS MOBO
    BIOS MOBO looks for MBR,
    Booting on GPT partition which, to my knowledge, limited as it may be, looks for the Standard Partition table.

• Dang it all, I hate this NodeBB site. I can’t see the last line of what I am posting. Obscured by a translucent window.
    Can’t use FF, using Chrome for this now. Midori does the same thing.
    Manjaro, I have no idea what site s/w they use, but it LEAGUES ahead of this site s/w.
    I read that they have chosen NodeBB and we have to live with it. I just come here to post replies that I think I can help with.

• When trying to make a /boot partition, this happens no matter if I do it in GParted, or the installer. This is with a msdos partition scheme.

Screenshot from 2015-04-22 13-08-55.png

Even if I make all the partitions it won’t let me continue. and I also tried the /boot partition as ext2, fat32, ntfs, and pretty much everything else.

Screenshot from 2015-04-22 13-19-11.png

• This is from memory so bear with me.
    I just clicked on the partition sda5 as I recall and marked as / and format
    sda7 was /home
    so by editing those partitions I now had
    1 for root
    1 for home
    That was it.
    in Your case I would delet the boot and take the 500 and mmark it as / and format it and that should do it.

Hope that made sense.

• @herbie said:

This is from memory so bear with me.
    I just clicked on the partition sda5 as I recall and marked as / and format
    sda7 was /home
    so by editing those partitions I now had
    1 for root
    1 for home
    That was it.
    in Your case I would delet the boot and take the 500 and mmark it as / and format it and that should do it.

Hope that made sense.

I use btrfs, grub cannot be installed/work on it and that’s why I need a boot partition. I also want a home directory on the same drive, not a massive root drive.

Edit:
    If I change my root partition to anything other than btrfs it removes the requirement for a /boot partition, so something is messed in the script that stops you from continuing without it or detecting the /boot partition :P @karasu / @lots-0-logs

• Man oh man am I at a loss for a solution.
    If memory serves me, boot with btrfs has to be a FAT partition.

Perhaps this link might help or not…lol

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Btrfs

• @herbie said:

Man oh man am I at a loss for a solution.
    If memory serves me, boot with btrfs has to be a FAT partition.

Perhaps this link might help or not…lol

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Btrfs

I tried (basically)every type of file system for the /boot partition. There’s an issue in cnchi that appears not to be able to detect it.

Posts 23Views 6152