• A new Firefox issue

OK, when using Firefox 37.0.1, I am running into some odd issues.

If I am not logged in, I can click on the heading for a forum, the page will go translucent for a second or two, then the page changes to the new page, and the translucent effect goes away.

If I am logged in, I click a heading for a forum, and the page goes translucent, and dies. It never moves beyond that point.

I can click on the Read More link, for the latest post in a forum, and I can see that post. But, if I try to click on one of the breadcrumb links, I get the same result - the screen goes translucent, and I am stuck.

I have tried it in Chromium, Midori, Opera, Vivaldi, and Epiphany. All of them work as they should, the problem seems to be limited to Firefox. I just got Palemoon re-installed, and it does work. I figured with it being joined at the hip to Firefox, it would not. Perhaps it being so far behind Firefox development is the trick.

Yes, I cleared cache, and that made no difference. And no, I will not stop using Firefox.

@los.0.logs pretty much nothing has changed my opinion of NodeBB. This platform sucks! And that is as polite as I can make it. I’ve an unused XenForo license I am sorely tempted to renew and donate to the Antergos project, just so YOUR community members don’t have to put up with this pig-in-a-poke platform.

You know, I saw your frustrated post, asking people with problems to post appropriately. I feel your pain, I really do. Trust me, it is just as excruciatingly painful for forum members to find help, as it is for Antergos devs to provide it. If there were just some way of establishing proper moderator permissions (which have yet to happen after what, 2 or 3 WEEKS?!?), then maybe those of us you promoted to that status could be helping you out. Know how long it takes to grant a user moderator permissions in XenForo? It’s a single mouse-click, and you’re finished. No need to SSH into any server directories, to issue some arcane CLI commands, because you can do it all in a GUI.

I get it. You tried doing a new Web site (which is coming together nicely, BTW). But you did that at the same time you were trying to downgrade a phpBB3 forum into this flippin’ NodeBB nightmare, which was at the same time you were trying to get Minimal ISO images released, which was at the same time you were trying to get Cnchi 0.8 wrapped up, and then along came GNOME 3.16, and on, and on.

You got caught in a perfect storm.

So, howzabout we have a real discussion on how we can move forward, with making this a better place for everyone?

• Yup I get this problem alot on two systems with two different operating systems (Win8.1/antergos). Both using Firefox 37.0.1.
    (Also to add, I still hate Markdown)

Here’s an image of the effect stuck:
    aaaaaaaaaaaa

@Mike
    "No need to SSH into any server directories, to issue some arcane CLI commands"
    For forum permissions? Seriously? That’s terrible. I’ll throw in my fanboyism for Xenforo, so easy to edit board styles.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• This post is deleted!
  • @Mike said:

No need to SSH into any server directories, to issue some arcane CLI commands, because you can do it all in a GUI.

What are you talking about? I’m guessing you were just making a joke. You must have been because NodeBB cannot be configured form the command line. :confused:

Look, I get it. You’ve made it quite clear that you don’t like NodeBB. Please forgive my bluntness here. But at the end of the day, NodeBB is the route we’ve chosen to take and we’re sticking with it. It’s time to sit back, shut up, and enjoy the ride or get off the bus. I’ve had to accept the fact that it’s impossible to please everyone. No matter what choice we make regarding Antergos, there will ALWAYS be someone who disagrees/dislikes the choice. If we spent time trying to please everyone we wouldn’t get anything accomplished.

Obviously there are issues with the forum currently. The issues are NOT NodeBB issues. They are issues of the theme that I developed. They are MY issues. I assure you they will get fixed as soon as I can find the time. I’m not a Firefox user so I won’t know if some issue starts happening in Firefox unless someone tells me. Everything works great in Chrome and other webkit based browsers. IMO, Firefox needs to get their shit together just as much as I do…if not more… BUT I digress…

• Hi there,

Since I presume that only folk who have problems normally happen on threads like this I thought I’d reply to say that I’m using Firefox 37.0.1 on these forums and so far have had no problems other than having to reset my password to get in - but that may have been totally unrelated. On Gnome 3.16.

I’m only using four Firefox addons, though: Open H264, Flash, Gnome Shell Integration & iTunes Application Detector - which are pretty much standard. LastPass & X-Notifier extensions. That’s it.

Hope that helps :-)

• Yes, the same issue here.
    Fortunate, a simple F5 get me in.

a warm place with no memory

• If anyone could post here the console output from Firefox’s developer console when then issue occurs that would be helpful. Thanks,

NOTE: You must have the developer console open prior to loading the page otherwise no output will be displayed.

• From a freeze screen, try to click on any forum categories.
    Console

GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/23/pacman-amp-package-upgrade-issues [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 318ms]
    TypeError: can’t convert undefined to object nodebb.min.js:19:25290
    GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/16/kernel-amp-hardware [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 186ms]
    GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/17/newbie-corner [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 178ms]
    GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/23/pacman-amp-package-upgrade-issues [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 175ms]
    GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/15/artwork-and-screenshots [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 171ms]
    GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/10/off-topic [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 192ms]
    GET
    http://forum.antergos.com/api/category/18/community-contributions [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 166ms]

THen reload, and then

The connection to ws://forum.antergos.com/socket.io/?EIO=3&transport=websocket&sid=AJc57svYS8L09r-pADiD was interrupted while the page was loading.
    mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create nodebb.min.js:13:16261
    Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. nodebb.min.js:2:0
    Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/

All errors/warnings from .js tab

a warm place with no memory

• @lots-0-logs

Getting same output as Roberto.

aaaaaaaaaaaa

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• Same on this end of the pipe.

TypeError: can’t convert undefined to object

LastPass and HTTPS Everywhere are the only add-ons I use. LastPass, doubtless for reasons known only to NodeBB devs, refuses to work with this site. (Have I mentioned how much I dislike NodeBB?)

The problem cropped up within the last day, as I had never had any (Firefox) issues, prior to that.

• It appears the upgrade did the trick with the Firefox issue, as everything is back to working as before.

• @Mike I fixed the permissions too. Let me know if there are still issues with them.

• Dustin, the permissions are now worse than they were. Topic Tools is available in this topic, to allow me to delete the topic. There is no Topic Tools option in topics I have not started. On your post, I have the options to open a Chat, to Quote your post, or to Reply to your post. That’s it. Previously, I could also see an option to Edit a post, or to Move a post, but those are now gone.

One step forward, and two steps back. :confounded:

EDIT - Strike that, as I do see there is now a small gear icon available, with some functions attached to it. Hmmm, maybe we’ve taken two steps forward?

• @Mike Yeah, I’m not a fan of their design decision with that gear menu. I plan to work out something better when I can find the time.

Cheers!

• I also thought I lost the “Edit” option!!! :grinning:

• Looks like I have options to edit/delete other’s posts as well…
    BHAHAHAHA XD

EDIT : Nah, I don’t have privilege to do that ;-;

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• I’m using FF 37.0.1 too on two different systems, and I haven’t experienced any of those issues…

• @lots.0.logs said:

What are you talking about? I’m guessing you were just making a joke. You must have been because NodeBB cannot be configured form the command line. :confused:

When an upgrade is required, I close my forums with a single mouse click. How do you close these forums? Oh. Yeah. You SSH into the forum directory and issue a ./nodebb stop. Apologies for making it seem that all NodeBB configuration is handled from a command line.

Look, I get it. You’ve made it quite clear that you don’t like NodeBB. Please forgive my bluntness here. But at the end of the day, NodeBB is the route we’ve chosen to take and we’re sticking with it. It’s time to sit back, shut up, and enjoy the ride or get off the bus. I’ve had to accept the fact that it’s impossible to please everyone. No matter what choice we make regarding Antergos, there will ALWAYS be someone who disagrees/dislikes the choice. If we spent time trying to please everyone we wouldn’t get anything accomplished.

No need to ask forgiveness. As you said, the decision has been made. From this side of the table, I don’t appear to be the only one who does not care for NodeBB, but if that is the direction you plan to take, so be it. Perhaps I am the one who should beg forgiveness for being blunt with you. If that is the case, then I do hope you will forgive my honesty.

Sadly enough, I just cannot see anything worth enjoying about this particular ride, so I think I am going to take your advice and get off the bus. I was both willing and eager to try to lend you a hand with trying to do some housekeeping around here, but quite frankly, root canal sounds more appealing. I will try to find other, less aggravating ways to support the Antergos project.

And whilst I would never suggest Firefox is a perfect browser solution, I will take the time to belabour the point that it works just fine on phpBB3, vBulletin, Invision Power Board, XenForo, FluxBB, Simple Machine Forums, MyBB, WoltLab Burning Board, etc. A substantial percentage of my income comes from the operation of discussion forums, something I have been doing for well over a decade. And Firefox has served me well on all of them. Of course, I’ve never chosen to use NodeBB. But, there you go.

Feel free to rescind my moderator permissions, I’ll be restricting my Antergos discussion activities to G+, from this point forward. I look forward to seeing you, over there.

Posts 18Views 4572