• Antergos installation of Bootloader fails

Today I installed Antergos, The minimal and the standard iso. Via USB Stick(with and without USBDiskwriter, both worked the same) on my Acer 5755g. Bios is legacy and not UEFI, i could enable UEFI, but Windows and the drive is still using mbr,. So that doesnt need to be done.
    During installation it warns me, that Grub did not install.
    In terminal i see some kind of swap error.
    After reboot nothing works.
    For troubleshooting i followed these steps:

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    cd /mnt
    mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
    mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
    chroot /mnt
    grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

after these steps i can reboot into windows and/or start my antergos. But it doesn’t login at all.
    I am hopelessly trying to start a prompt. but this also doesn’t work. After every login attempt it gets back onto the login screen.

Seems very buggy for me… Worked before on version 0.6 or something.
    here are my logs. They are too big for this forum. I just put in everything i found in /var/logs
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2008171/logs.tar

• @dehein Could you grab the lightdm logs (lightdm.log and x-0-greeter.log) There’s a HOW TO sticky post if you need it…

• This has been my week so far with Antergos 2015.04.12:

attempt1:
    Try not to waste another DVD and install from previous edition of LiveCD.
    result:
    cnchi freezes after update - won’t start.

attempt2:
    Download and install last iso image: 2015-04-12. Try to make bootable usb stick using dd comand as stated on the website. I knew what was coming:
    result:
    Non-bootable image. I gathered so far certain experience with Linux and would consider myself as not only a beginner. But, making a bootable image with dd command was always a gamble. Never found out why.

attempt3:
    Find someone’s Windows machine, because USBWriter for some reason, always works. And it did. But, website was not clear that this iso is dual boot : GPT & MBR. So my default motherboard settings booted UEFI Live image. Ok, now cnchi works.
    I demand separate / and /var partitions and NO swap. So I have to use advanced partition setup in installer : /boot:512MB, /, /var. I picked GRUB2.
    Result:
    non-bootable system. tmp/cnchi.log: Couldn’t install bootloader “swap”

attempt4:
    Try the same just pick: Gummiboot.
    result:
    Same error.

attempt5:
    Boot LiveUSB as MBR and try the same.
    result:
    Same error.

! And in between those trials, only every 3rd attempt of installation on average succeeded to go that far to report bootloader error. Usually it breaks because of package download problems with: “can’t install necessary packages” (setup is: yaourt, ttf-fonts,libreoffice,ufw and firefox).

I really like your style in shaping one cool distro, but guys, please solve this. This has been a disaster so far. And I don’t have a working machine for a 5th day now.

• @dunchy said:

So my default motherboard settings booted UEFI Live image

Did you try changing the BIOS settings from UEFI to CMS ? Changing to CMS worked for me.

• Yes I did of course. Sorry I wasn’t precise enough:

attempt5:
    Change BIOS settings and boot LiveUSB as MBR and try the same. Repartition HD to MBR.
    result:
    Same error.

• another basic question . did you check the version of Cnchi after you are connected to Internet. Sometimes Cnchi does not get updated, has to be done manually from terminal.

• It did update correctly to version 0.8.21.

I made another try with/without /boot partition and swap partition. But nothing. It looks hopeless. I simply do not want to try basic installation because installer makes 7.5GB swap partition on my SSD which I do not need and don’t want to waste that space. I’m running a machine with 16GB RAM.

• @dunchy The installer was updated today to include a few changes that we hope will resolve the bootloader issues. Please give it another try when you have time. If it still fails, please post the logs located in the /tmp directory of the live environment. Thanks.

• GRUB is golden! It looks like the GRUB issue has been fixed. I installed the Gnome desktop with AUR and SMB with absolutely no issues! This is by far the BEST version of Gnome I’ve ever seen.

• With cnchi version 0.8.29-1 bootloader was installed properly. My setup: UEFI - GPT - EfI system partition mounted on /boot - Gummiboot.

But, now during installation mirror/antergos/x86_64/package-query-1.5-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz was not found. This leads to broken installation as lightDM now doesn’t want to start.

Correction: After next try all packages downloaded correctly but lightDM still fails to start.

• well i didn’t have the time to wait. i just installed arch and used a script to install everything else. So the process took some time but I am now at a machine working great. If i find some time on the weekend i could take a clonezilla backup and try reinstalling antergos and see if it works this time.

cnchi112 gnome243 install78 boot175 grub79 Posts 12Views 5723