• Problem with Lightdm on Xfce after Gnome Update

I am using the Antergos lightdm-webkit-theme on Arch, and after the major update of the Gnome 3.16 components all I get is a white screen when I reach the login screen which I think is similar to this one. and this one
    However I can get to a terminal, stop the service and login manually and start X normally with startxfce4.
    On dmesg I get:

[   76.141015] WebKitWebProces[370]: segfault at bbadbeef ip b3f9d320 sp bfb27be0 error 6 in libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18.1.7[b38c8000+8ca000]

And this is mi /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log:

[+0.08s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
    [+0.08s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.14.0, UID=0 PID=226
    [+0.08s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.08s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.08s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.08s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    [+0.08s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
    [+0.21s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
    [+0.21s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
    [+0.21s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
    [+1.25s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
    [+1.25s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
    [+1.25s] DEBUG: Loading properties from config section SeatDefaults
    [+1.25s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
    [+1.25s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
    [+1.50s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
    [+1.50s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process "plymouth" (No such file or directory)
    [+1.50s] DEBUG: Using VT 1
    [+1.50s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 1
    [+1.50s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
    [+1.53s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:0
    [+1.53s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Launching X Server
    [+1.53s] DEBUG: Launching process 248: /usr/sbin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt1 -novtswitch
    [+1.54s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
    [+1.54s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
    [+1.54s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
    [+6.37s] DEBUG: Loading users from org.freedesktop.Accounts
    [+6.38s] DEBUG: User /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User1000 added
    [+7.76s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 248
    [+7.76s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Got signal from X server :0
    [+7.76s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Connecting to XServer :0
    [+7.77s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server ready, starting session authentication
    [+7.77s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
    [+8.18s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
    [+8.18s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session authenticated, running command
    [+8.18s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-webkit2-greeter
    [+8.18s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm
    [+8.18s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log
    [+8.60s] DEBUG: Activating VT 1
    [+8.60s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session c1
    [+8.60s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c1
    [+8.60s] DEBUG: Session c1 is already active
    [+19.38s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Greeter connected version=1.14.0 resettable=false
    [+62.92s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to 
    [+83.50s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c2
    [+102.30s] DEBUG: Got signal 15 from process 1
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Caught Terminated signal, shutting down
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 248
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
    [+102.78s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Sending SIGTERM
    [+107.78s] DEBUG: Sending signal 9 to process 248
    [+108.01s] DEBUG: Process 248 terminated with signal 9
    [+108.01s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: X server stopped
    [+108.01s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 1
    [+108.01s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Removing X server authority /run/lightdm/root/:0
    [+108.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
    [+109.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Greeter closed communication channel
    [+109.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=296: Exited with return value 0
    [+109.65s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
    [+109.65s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopped
    [+109.65s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
    [+109.65s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
    [+109.74s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 0

My /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log is empty and journalctl -b does not provide any usefull output. I really don’t know how else to debug this so any hint on were to look next is appreciated

• Hello @Rayonant! I have the same problem, but I also have another problem, the thing is that since with the problem to login the GUI, I really don’t know how to get the logs from the system. Then just to learn a little bit more about linux… can you tell me how did you get the lightdm.log?
    Thanks.

• Hmmm…it seems I need to rebuild the webkit greeter against the new gtk version. I’ll do that now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

@eliko There is a sticky post at the top of each category of the technical issues section that explains how to grab your system logs. Let us know if you have trouble with it 😄

• Thanks @lots-0-logs for the quick response, I’ll wait then until the update, in the meantime disabling the lightdm service would suffice as a workaround.

@eliko It is a matter of doing a manual login, just press “Ctrl+Alt+Fx” where x is a number from 2 to 6 (It depends on some configurations but 2 is always a safe bet) then you log in with tour user and password and you are good to go. If you want a graphical interface first you need to stop the lightdm service with

systemctl stop lightdm

executed as root, and after that start the x , in the Xfce case startxfce4 would do, on other enviroments a I am not sure, but I would guess that it should be startx.

• @Rayonant thank you for explaining me how to access my desktop and get tha info, I access my info from chroot.
    Also @lots-0-logs thank you for explaining me how to get that information.

• Seems like quite a few people are having the same issue and I guess I’ll do the same as @Rayonant and wait for the webkit greeter rebuild @lots-0-logs talked about.

• @bazini2880 The greeter has already been rebuilt. If you are having trouble please create a new topic so we can assist you. Be sure to include your logs in the topic. Thanks.

• @lots-0-logs Not sure if I’ve tried to update again since the fix but if I’m still having issues after updating I will post. Thanks.

lightdm104 xfce57 webkit4 Posts 8Views 3658
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.