• Blank White Screen After Update

After installing latest batch of updates on my Acer C720 I get a blank white screen with just the mouse cursor after reboot. I used Clonezilla to go back to a previous image I had but would like to be able to install the most recent updates. Any ideas what may be causing the blank white screen? Machine goes through all the normal processes and then when it gets to the where the login screen would normally be this is where I get the blank white screen with the cursor. Thank you.

• Hi,

We would need to see the system logs from when that occurs. If you can try it again and post them here that would be great.

Cheers!

• Yeah @bazini2880, I have the same problem!!! After I apply the last update with gnome 3.16, I don’t have lightdm anymore, I had the cinnamon version, after that I did a fresh install of the openbox version, I got the same problem again, I downgrade clutter how is explained by @lots-0-logs but without positive results. Someone have an effective solution? My hardware:

IMG_20150411_220549084.jpg

Thanks for your help!!

• @eliko Check the HOW TO post for obtaining system logs. Post the logs here. Thanks.

• Thank you very much for the reminder about the logs @lots-0-logs , I still forget that :)
    Since I don’t have the GUI, then I only was able to get 2 logs; the lightdm and Xorg logs, I hope they will be useful.

lightdm log

Xorg log

Cheers!

• @lots-0-logs No luck after the greeter update. Here are my logs. varlogs.tar systemd.tar

• @lots-0-logs Oh and xsession log said “**(gnome-session-check-accelerated:427): WARNING ** : Couldn’t register accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the route application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken”.

• See the sticky post for HOW TO obtain system logs. Post the lightdm greeter log and your system journal. Thanks!

• @lots-0-logs My x-0-greeter log is empty. Here is my lightdm log though. lightdm.GIF

• @lots-0-logs Is there a good way to post the journal log, which is quite long. Convert text to jpeg? Sorry, I’m kind of new to all of this.

• @lots-0-logs Hope this is ok for the journal log. Journal.pdf

• @lots-0-logs I just ended up using GDM as suggested by @ant77 in another thread. Able to login now. Thank you for the help.

• Okay, I’m glad you did that because it was going to be my next suggestion. It seems the issue with the greeter is due to a bug in webkitgtk. An update should come down soon.

Cheers!

• Is anybody have the same problem ?
    Is there a fix to it ?

• @Gwilh-le-Kiwi, this is what worked for me.

sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm

Posts 15Views 4632