• Gnome acting unstable since update

Is it just me or is anyone else getting strange things happening since yesterday’s update? Folders are large & even when reduced keep returning to large. The left side menu bar also keeps going to large icons but reverts to normal on its own. Even issues with sound not playing 5.1 only stereo on some files via SMPlayer.

Waiting to see if an update corrects it or whether to use a backup to restore to Thursday.

• Hmmm - Pamac not finding any packages too. Having to use PacmanXG instead.

• My folders and other icons are HUGE. I didn’t know you can modify icon size, (you say you reduced them) but I looked. My left side bar icons are fine but having 13 or 14 icons in there keeps them that way. Also have some things like gnome tweak tool launching maximized and when i toggle window size it goes way too small and bunched up. This is annoying because if I drag and fix window size it doesn’t save. Same problems affecting 2 different laptops after restarting. What a blunder on Gnomes part. Considering they don’t integrate many useful extensions, and gnome updates cause them to break + sloppy update bugs.

• @Uzi - I thought there was a pamac problem at first as well - turns out the split screen on the right side has been set to have the bottom ‘description’ panel take the whole space. You can drag the split bar down to see the packages - not sure how to make this persistent. Every time I open the application, I have to make this adjustment…

• There’s also a kind of ugly shadow around applications. maybe non-gnome or GTK ones?
    just noticed this on my telegram messenger and firefox-beta browser. Not sure what’s up with that.

does not affect chromium, chrome, jbidwatcher, steam, qbittorrent, veracrypt, vlc
    affects thunderbird, libreoffice, minutube, fceux, springseed, gimp, xfburn, telegram, deven, clementine, jitsi, bleachbit, tribler

I’m guessing this has to do with whatever code the software was written in?
    does anyone have a gnome bugzilla account to report these?

• @λlτεrηιτγ said:

My folders and other icons are HUGE. I didn’t know you can modify icon size, (you say you reduced them) but I looked. My left side bar icons are fine but having 13 or 14 icons in there keeps them that way. Also have some things like gnome tweak tool launching maximized and when i toggle window size it goes way too small and bunched up. This is annoying because if I drag and fix window size it doesn’t save. Same problems affecting 2 different laptops after restarting. What a blunder on Gnomes part. Considering they don’t integrate many useful extensions, and gnome updates cause them to break + sloppy update bugs.

When you are in ‘FILES’ there are 3 menu options next to close. ‘search’ then one with dots. Click that & there is a slider. Doesn’t keep the size though. http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2015/03/gnome2-100575874-large.png

• @watgrad said:

@Uzi - I thought there was a pamac problem at first as well - turns out the split screen on the right side has been set to have the bottom ‘description’ panel take the whole space. You can drag the split bar down to see the packages - not sure how to make this persistent. Every time I open the application, I have to make this adjustment…

Wow, how did you figure that out? That is a terrible set up. I had to enter search item 1st then find the drag point to reveal the list of results. Next time use puts it back to hidden. This upgrade is killing Gnome 3 with so many issues. Hope it gets sorted soon.

• @Uzi said:

When you are in ‘FILES’ there are 3 menu options next to close. ‘search’ then one with dots. Click that & there is a slider. Doesn’t keep the size though.

ah yeah, i tried that as well. I don’t think that should effect desktop icons as well? that’s the most annoying . I have my folder on my desktop.

• I got the exact same behaviour… @lots-0-logs Any ideas? :)

• @jchayan said:

I got the exact same behaviour… @lots-0-logs Any ideas? :)

I’m afraid not! I don’t use GNOME. This issue is a perfect example of why I don’t use GNOME actually. BUT I won’t go into all that. My advice if you want to keep GNOME, install Nemo!

Cheers!

• I changed my icon set from Antergos default of Numix to the set that Manjaro uses, Nitrux today & all the randon size issues seem to have stopped. Numix updated along with Gnome so which is the culprit, I dont know but Naulitus doesn’t seem to be a factor. More in the other thread including Nitrux screenshot - http://forum.antergos.com/topic/1876/gnome-3-16-questions

• New update fixed Pamac too. All is getting right with the world again.

• that’s funny because I been using Nitrux all along and my icons are still huge.

• @λlτεrηιτγ said:

that’s funny because I been using Nitrux all along and my icons are still huge.

I didn’t say they were not still larger than before but they were stable now with no random size changes. I get 7 folders across on my 1360 x 768 & 10 across on 1920 x 1080

• @λlτεrηιτγ @Uzi To make the folder size permanent in Nautilus, open up a Nautilus window and make sure it is focused. Then, in the top left of your screen, click on “Files.” Under preferences, there will be an option to permanently use the small, medium, and large icon sizes. I hope that helps a bit!

Edit: Pinging @jchayan and @watgrad as well.

• @pid1 said:

@λlτεrηιτγ @Uzi To make the folder size permanent in Nautilus, open up a Nautilus window and make sure it is focused. Then, in the top left of your screen, click on “Files.” Under preferences, there will be an option to permanently use the small, medium, and large icon sizes. I hope that helps a bit!

Edit: Pinging @jchayan and @watgrad as well.

Yeah, that works - cheers. Need to close & reopen for change to work,

• That fixed it, thanks! guess they made the standard icon size larger.

• Anyone notice that things often need to be clicked twice to work? Like power off icon?
    I have to go through the menu process twice.
    I’ll have to test it further but seems like everytime.
    Gnome extension had to be turned off and on again to work, stuff like that.

• @λlτεrηιτγ said:

Anyone notice that things often need to be clicked twice to work? Like power off icon?
    I have to go through the menu process twice.
    I’ll have to test it further but seems like everytime.
    Gnome extension had to be turned off and on again to work, stuff like that.

I did a fresh install yesterday & everything went smoothly. No bugs (touch wood) have shown up so far.

• @λlτεrηιτγ said:

that’s funny because I been using Nitrux all along and my icons are still huge.

Is your Nitrux updated? Mine keeps failing the validity check for 3.5.0.

Posts 24Views 7000