• [RESOLVED] ATTN CINNAMON USERS

GNOME 3.16 was released in Extra earlier today. If you have not installed the updates already, please hold off on doing so until further notice. If you have already installed the updates you can try the following to resolve it. I’m not sure what actually resolved the issue for me as I tried several things before Cinnamon finally began working again. It could be one or both of these:

1. Downgrade clutter and clutter-gtk to the previous version (1.20.0-1 & 1.6.0-1). I used the downgrade app available in the AUR for this.
    2. Using ABS, rebuild all of the cinnamon packages and then re-install them. Here are the steps to do it:
    su
    pacman -S abs
    abs community
    chmod -R a+rw /var/abs
    exit
    cd /var/abs/community
    for pkg in cinnamon** muffin nemo;do { cd $pkg && sed -i -r 's|pkgrel=[[:digit:]]|pkgrel=2|g' PKGBUILD && makepkg -sf && pacman -U --force $pkg***.pkg.*** && cd ..; } || break; done
    sudo restart lightdm

So that’s what I came up with while stuck on the terminal. I did it in a way to require the least amount of input possible. I’m sure Alex ( @faidoc ) will rebuild the cinnamon packages in the Arch repo soon so those commands won’t be applicable for very long. They may not be needed if downgrading clutter resolves the problem. I don’t know because I tried #2 first :laughing:

If anyone has questions, please make a new topic in the Cinnamon section of the forum. Thanks!

• Far simpler solution:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=195857

Not sure if it’s the same :)

• Yep, it appears to be the same. Thanks for sharing. I’m sure the package will be updated soon!

• @lots-0-logs i tried the temp solution you posted, and when I type in the long line

for pkg in cinnamon** muffin nemo;do { cd $pkg && sed -i -r ‘s|pkgrel=[[:digit:]]|pkgrel=2|g’ PKGBUILD && makepkg -sf && pacman -U --force $.pkg. && cd …; } || break; done

I get an error about not being able to connect to X

I was in TTY and entering one line at a time. Perhaps I’m not following the directions clearly?

• No, its my fault. There was a typo. I corrected it in my previous post. Though you shouldnt have to do it. All that you need to do is install downgrade and then downgrade clutter like this:

sudo pacman -Syyu
    yaourt -S downgrade
    sudo downgrade clutter
    sudo systemctl restart lightdm

• I did the commands you just posted, and they completed, however I still have “Cinnamon just crashed.”

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -myk

• @lots-0-logs actually, i may have missed a step… Be right back.

• Yeah, i missed the “downgrade clutter” part. At the end it asked “do you want to add clutter to the ignore list” or something to that effect.

I chose Y and I am back at my desktop.

Should I have chosen Y, and if not, how to I change it back?

Thanks

• It’s okay to add it to your ignore list b/c it will prevent you from accidentally installing it with other updates. Though once the issue has been resolved you will need to edit your pacman.conf to remove it from the Ignore list.

• So, is it safe to say cinnamon-session 2.4.3-2 and muffin 2.4.5-2 are bringing back some cheer for those of us running Cinnamon?

I just finished removing GNOME from this new install, so I am back to running just Cinnamon, again. Is it safe to remove the work-around file that exported CLUTTER_BACKEND, as shown in this thread - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=195857

I really like Cinnamon, and I dislike GNOME about twelve times that much. OK, maybe thirteen or fourteen times. I don’t care how many extensions they add to GNOME, I still do not care for it.

• @Mike Hmmm…I’m not sure. I havent allowed clutter to be updated yet as I don’t really have time for it not to work right now. Are you saying its working with the latest version of clutter?

• No, I wasn’t saying, I was asking, ;-)

However, I did just remove the fix file and everything is working as it should.

cinnamon73 gnome 3.164 update46 Posts 12Views 3435