• Gnome 3.16 questions...

Hello - I was happy to install gnome 3.16 today from stable. The install seemed to go smoothly, however gnome has restarted on me by itself 3 times since the update…not sure why yet.

Just a few questions I hope someone can help with.
    The icons are HUGE! In Files (Nautilus) I have three options for icon size and they are all too large to my taste. I also attempted to change the size using dconf editor - but also only 3 choices for icons size are listed. Any idea how to change the default ‘small’ size in nautilus to something more reasonable?

Finally, is there a way to move the ‘task tray’ (I’m not sure what it is called) from the bottom left side of the screen to the bottom right side.

• I doubt that there is a way to change the icon sizes. The reason I doubt it is because the GNOME developers have consistently removed options that allowed for customization of the experience in some way with each new release of GNOME. But, hey…I could be wrong.

As for the task tray icon, if you dont see an option for that within dconf then its probably not possible by default. Perhaps an extension has been created that will do what you want with it?

Cheers!

• The TopIcons extension moves the bottom left task tray to the top panel. Much better spot, imo, especially considering the tray is in conflict with a maximised terminal window.

• Thanks Even - TopIcons is helpful.

• Try this:
    use the ctrl+mousewheel

• @watgrad You don’t need to use dconf editor to change the icon size. With Nautilus open, click on the “Files” button to the right of Activities. You can set your icon size preferences there. Unfortunately, there is nothing smaller than the default “small” available. If I figure out a way to fix that, I’ll let you know.

• I just use NEMO instead of Nautilus and no icon size problems there. I love Gnome shell but the way the devs have treated its file manager, poor Nautilus, it’s now almost unusable IMHO. Nemo from Cinnamon works just fine in Gnome shell. Now if I only could change the default antergos icon set from yellow/orange to something else… does anybody know how to?? I only find PPAs for Ubuntu on the Numix website.

Intel NUC D54250WYK, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD
    Multi -boot (no MS-Win &no UEFI) Legacy MBR with GPT

• @ant77 What do you want to change? Numix Square to Numix Circle?

• @Zheng-Xuan-Ho No just the colour, light blue /grey would be much better with the new blue/black gnome 3.16. The default antergos orange seems out of place, just personal taste, of course!

• @ant77 said:

@Zheng-Xuan-Ho No just the colour, light blue /grey would be much better with the new blue/black gnome 3.16. The default antergos orange seems out of place, just personal taste, of course!

The only thing I like better about Manjaro is their icon set NITRUX, So I downloaded that & added it. Fantastic look now & BLUE folders too.

• @Uzi said:

@ant77 said:

@Zheng-Xuan-Ho No just the colour, light blue /grey would be much better with the new blue/black gnome 3.16. The default antergos orange seems out of place, just personal taste, of course!

The only thing I like better about Manjaro is their icon set NITRUX, So I downloaded that & added it. Fantastic look now & BLUE folders too.

FYI Screenshot from 2015-04-12 09-39-21.png

• @ant77 said:

Orange? Where are you seeing orange?

• @lots.0.logs said:

@ant77 said:

I’m not, now I changed icons from Numix to Nitrux. Under the standard Antergos install Numix has Mustard Yellow / Orange folders even on Firefox Bookmark folders. Changing to Nitrux as in screenshot changes all to BLUE.

• @lots.0.logs said:

Screenshot from 2015-04-12 06-58-02.png
    Default Antergos icons… aren’t they orange? or may be dark yellow or light brown, whatever you call it, thanks for the suggestions, @Uzi where did you get the blue color from manjaro? I thought they use green.
    Anyway I found this blue set (faenza-cupertino) and I’m happy with it. I love Antergos :blue_heart:
    Screenshot from 2015-04-12 06-58-41.png

• @ant77 While trying to figure out why I couldn’t get my game playing under Wine using Arch, I installed Manjaro Gnome. Nitux looked so good & copied the file nitrux-icon-theme-3.2.5-1-any.pkg.tar .xz from them. After install, I used the Tweak Tool & changed icons to Nitrux & voila. I think my blue icons are much nicer than the rather bland looking ones you show, which is the old Antergos set I believe.

• BTW, I only did the Nitrux Icon change about 6 hours ago & the random sizing issues I was having have stopped (so far) too. Looks like it ‘could’ be the Numix update that caused it in unison (?) perhaps with the Gnome update.

• nope, i have a bunch of icon themes installed, and I have the same problem with whatever ones I choose.

Posts 17Views 7403