• Sickbeard - Setup Assistance

Maybe it’s just because I’m not feeling well today, but I can’t seem to wrap my head around setting up Sickbeard.

Anyone care to offer assistance?

Thanks

• @Myk-Robinson said:

Sickbeard

Well, considering I had to open a new tab and google Sickbeard I obviously can’t offer any help :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Hopefully someone else will chime in and shed some light on it.

Cheers!

• **i love sickbeard! although i dont think its being updated anymore. anyway here is the tutorial that got me started. you dont have to use it word for word but its a good walk through. hopefully this helps. it is kinda a long setup. **

Pre-Installation

Since Sick Beard is in developmental status the best version to install is usually the most up-to-date one. To get this we only need to click on this link. This should prompt you to download the latest and greatest version of Sick Beard from their github development site. Save the file to your Download folder in your Home directory.

Note: There is a chance (albeit quite small) that there could be a critical bug when you go to download Sick Beard. If you have such an issue be sure to watch the comments on the latest changes to see if it gets resolved and then simply download a new copy with the link above and continue on below.

Now that we have Sick Beard downloaded we’ll want to find it and extract it to a folder of its own. To do so we’ll need to open up a file browser and navigate to the Downloads directory in our Home folder. To do so, go to the mintMenu (the Menu button at the bottom left of your screen), then find Places (top left of the mintMenu), and then click on Home Folder. Once the Home folder opens up in a new window, find the Downloads folder and open that.
    The downloaded file should be named something like midgetspy-Sick-Beard-xxx.tar.gz. Once you’ve located it right click on it and select Extract Here. This should create a similarly named folder in your Downloads folder. Go ahead and open this folder up, and move on to the next section.

Installation

We will now want to open another File Browser and go to our Home directory. Repeat the steps above to do so now. Now, in this new file browser window, go up to the File menu and select Create Folder. There should now be an untitled folder in your Home folder. By default, the name will be selected so you can type something new in. If it is not, right click on the folder and select rename.

Now, type in

.sickbeard
    while making sure to note the period at the start of the name. The period will make it hidden so it doesn’t clutter up your Home folder. Once renamed, the folder will remain temporarily visible, so find it and open it up.

Now, we’ll need to go back to the midgetspy-Sick-Beard-xxx folder we extracted in the Pre-Installation section. Select everything in this folder and copy and paste or drag it to the .sickbeard folder we just created.

And, that’s it! Sick Beard is now installed on your system!

To test, we can open up a Terminal window. Don’t worry if you’re new to this Linux Mint or GNU/Linux stuff it’s all very straight forward (and often much easier than using the graphical user interface!).

To open up the Terminal, go up to the mintMenu again and click on Terminal. Once you have the Terminal window open type the following and hit Enter.

python /home/$USER/.sickbeard/SickBeard.py
    If everything is working properly a bunch of text should stream in the terminal window and your web browser should open with Sick Beard’s Home page.

If you have any problems, triple check your steps above, verify SABnzbd+ is installed, check the Troubleshooting section on the last page, and if all else fails leave a comment or contact me.

If all’s well, Sick Beard is now installed, simple eh? Find the Shutdown link in Sick Beard and shutdown the program. Keep the .sickbeard folder open and lets move on to the Setup sections on the next page. (You can close the rest of the windows at this point.)

Setup

Auto Processes

So, we now have Sick Beard installed. Next, we’ll need to prepare Sick Beard to integrate with our SABnzbd+ installation. From the .sickbeard folder find the autoProcessTV folder and open it up. In here, you should have a file named autoProcessTV.cfg.sample right click this file and select rename. Now remove the .sample from the end of the file and hit Enter. You should now have a file named

autoProcessTV.cfg
    if so open it up in a text editor (double clicking should do this automatically).

You should be looking at a simple configuration file with the following information.

[SickBeard]
    host=localhost
    port=8081
    username=
    password=
    web_root=
    If you will be running Sick Beard and SABnzbd+ on the same machine, and not changing the port, username, or password, leave the above as is (recommended!). If you’ll be changing any of the above, you’ll need to adjust the details here, but this is outside the scope of this guide! (This file tells SABnzbd+ how to contact and connect to Sick Beard.)

Once done, close out of the text editor.

Now, we’ll need to open up SABnzbd+ and navigate to the Folders Config page and find the Post-Processing Scripts Folder: field. Here we’ll need to tell SABnzbd+ where the Sick Beard autoProcessTV folder is located. The path should look like this

/home/USER/.sickbeard/autoProcessTV
    be sure to replace USER with your Linux Mint or Ubuntu user name. If you’re not 100% certain on what your user name is, this is the name of your Home Folder and can also be found by going to the mintMenu, clicking the All applications button on the top right, and then navigating to Administration and opening Users and Groups. In the User Settings window it will be the smaller, lighter name just below your full name.

Alternatively, from the autoProcessTV folder you can hit Control-l on your keyboard and then copy the full address from the Location: text field! This is also a handy shortcut for navigating back to the hidden sickbeard folder in the future. You can type in the folder location just as you might type in a web address in a web browser.

Once you have the correct path entered hit the Save Changes button at the bottom and then go to the Categories Config page in SABnzbd+.

Here we’ll want to go down to the tv category and across to the Script drop down list. This should currently be set to Default. Click on it and find the sabToSickBeard.py option select this and hit the Save button and the end of the tv category.
    Now, we’re almost done setting up Auto Processing. To finish, we just need to go to the Sorting Config page in SABnzbd+ and make sure TV Sorting is disabled and also make sure that the tv category is not active for any of the other sorting options. (Sick Beard will be handling all of the sorting and renaming for the tv category from here on out.)

If you had to adjust any Sorting options be sure to save at the bottom of the page. Once done, move on to the Autorun section (next page!).

Autorun

To fully automate Sick Beard, we will want to have it automatically start and stop (properly!) with the PC. To this end, Sick Beard includes an autorun script for both Fedora and Ubuntu based systems. However, I will still be recommending and using my script over the integrated one as this allows me to pre-configure more options and it is also quite well tested at this point. The integrated script is more “proper,” but I have had problems in testing it and am sticking with my script for now.

The easiest way to setup the autorun script will require that we run a simple little command from the Run Application box. This command will open a text editor so we can put the script in the proper location and change a few of the options. So, hit Alt-F2 and type the following into the Run Application box.

gksudo gedit /etc/init.d/sickbeard
    You will likely be prompted for your password. Enter it in now. Once done, a text editor will open up with nothing in it. This is exactly what we want so don’t fret.

In this text editor window select all the text from this script (Control-a) and copy and paste it into the blank text editor (be sure to select every thing!).

Once we have the script pasted into our text editor we’ll need to change the USER=”ChangeMe” field to match your Ubuntu or Linux Mint user name (it’s the short name that we used in the Auto Processes section, and the same one you type in to login to your computer). So, for example, using “daemox” as the user name, it should look like this.

USER="daemox"
    Once you have changed it accordingly, click on Save and close out of the text editor.

Now, we’ll need to add this script to the system’s start/stop list. We can do this either from the Terminal or the Run Application box, but I’m going to recommend the Terminal (open the mintMenu, then click on Terminal) so we can see exactly what happens when we run them. I strongly recommend copying and pasting these lines (one at a time) as they need to be entered in exactly as they are for them to work properly.

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/sickbeard
    Enter your password if prompted.

sudo update-rc.d sickbeard defaults
    After the second command it should say “Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/sickbeard” and then have several lines after that. If you run the second command twice it should say that “System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/sickbeard already exist.” If so, you should be all set.

To test the script run the following from the terminal.

/etc/init.d/sickbeard start
    This should launch Sick Beard and it’s web interface. If it worked you should be good to go and are ready to move on. You may also want to take a moment to reboot your system to confirm that the script is executed and successfully starts and loads Sick Beard automatically.

Note: Do NOT run the script as a super user! This will pretty much hose your install. The script should be ran as a standard user. No super powers are needed here (in other words, no sudo!)

Once you’ve verified that Sick Beard is automatically starting with your system, we can move on to the Configuration section on the following page!

Configuration

Before moving on and adding shows to Sick Beard I strongly recommend going through all of Sick Beard’s configurations. While the defaults may work for some, the options are heavily dependent upon how your collection is currently organized, how it is used, and how your system is setup. Also, due to the highly active development of Sick Beard additions and changes to the configuration options are to be expected.

In other words, there may be options that my guide hasn’t been updated to cover yet. If you stumble upon something like this and have a question feel free to ask in the comments section below or by contacting me directly!

General

First off, before we get into the actual Config screens, Sick Beard probably has a warning about an Unknown version:…Update Now. Go ahead and click on the Update Now link. Sick Beard will then download the latest version of Sick Beard, install it, restart, and reload. In the future, this is the same process that you can use to keep Sick Beard updated on a regular basis!

Once it has reloaded, find and highlight the Config button and click on General.

Misc
    If you’re comfortable with navigating to Sick Beard (or have bookmarked its address) uncheck Launch browser on startup so your default browser doesn’t launch every time you reboot your system. If you forget the address, by default it will be http://localhost:8081.
    Leave the Check for Update option enabled, so that you can keep Sick Beard updated. Each time a new update comes out Sick Beard will give you a notice just as it did initially!

By default the Logs folder will be put in your Home directory. If you’d like to relocate these to your hidden .sickbeard folder you can change the path (for Logs) here.

So, for example, using “daemox” as my Linux Mint user name my path would be.

/home/daemox/.sickbeard/Logs
    Web Interface
    Nothing under this section needs to be changed. Adjust if you know you need to (or want to).

And then, Save Changes and move on to the Config, Search Settings screen which, we’ll cover on the next page!

Search Settings

Episode Search
    Download Propers and Search Frequency are both great as defaults. If you aren’t as concerned about the quality of your episodes, and would rather reduce the amount of bandwidth you’re using you may want to disable Download Propers.

Usenet Retention is the main field of interest here. Set it to your Usenet server’s current retention. The servers I recommend, Giganews and Supernews are, at the time of this writing, at 975 and 800 days respectively!

NZB Search
    By default Search NZBs will already be enabled, for proper use with SABnzbd+ the NZB Method: should be changed to, you guessed it, SABnzbd.

Once changed, some additional options should show up. The SABnzbd URL field will need to be filled in. If you’ve followed my guides to the letter, and are using both SABnzbd+ and Sick Beard on the same system you should put in

127.0.0.1:8080
    You will also need to put in your SABnzbd API Key which can be found under the General Config tab in SABnzbd+.
    Torrent Search
    We will not be covering torrents or this section in this guide.

Once you’ve finished with your changes be sure to hit the Save Changes button, and we’ll move on to the next tab, which is Search Providers.

Search Providers

Provider Priorities
    The order of the Search Providers is arranged as it is by default for a reason. Unless you have a particular reason for re-ordering I would suggest leaving it as it is. Be sure to note the asterisks that indicate whether or not a search provider provides backlog support. Backlog support provides searching for old shows, not just what has recently came out or been released.

Also, be sure to check mark any provider that you are currently using! It is best to use as many as possible (and to have paid accounts at any that offer them)!

Configure Providers
    The providers that require credentials are selectable from a drop down list. Womble’s Index is the only provided that doesn’t require you to have credentials to use! You do not need to save after out each of the providers, but you do need to save before leaving the page!

To enable NZBs.org you’ll need a free account. Once you have one you can go to the RSS page and get the user id number and the hash number. These can be found toward the top of the page and should look something like

&i=001122&h=938486abcdeu814546787
    Note the &i= and the &h=. The first indicates user id and the second indicates the hash. Only copy the numbers inbetween or after these indicators. So, in the example above the user id (UID) would be:

and the hash

938486abcdeu814546787

NZBs’R’US is setup pretty much like NZBs.org. You’ll need a free or VIP account and then go here to find your UID and hash. The information is toward the very bottom of the page (see the NZBs.org section above for more details).
    If you have a Newzbin account enter in your username and password and you’ll be all set!

To use NZBMatrix you’ll need to pay for a VIP account. After doing so you’ll be able to put in your Username and API Key (found here).

Newznab Providers
    This section is for other sites that use the same underlying framework. You can ever run your own personal Newznab server!

NZB.su is pre-populated in case you have or would like to sign up for an account. You need a hash similar to NZBs.org and NZB’sR’US. This can be found on your RSS page (once you have an account and are logged in) here.

Once you are satisfied with your Search Providers we can move on to the next tab (on the next page), Post Processing.

Post Processing

Post Processing
    Keep Original Files should be disabled to prevent clutter in your download directory and to prevent unneeded usage of storage space. Move Associated Files should be enabled so that any extra information that comes with the episode is not lost. This will increase the clutter in your folders, but if you’re using XBMC Media Center as a library manager this will not be a problem.

Rename Episodes should be left enabled, and Scan and Process should be left as disabled (as Auto Processes will take care of this for us!).

Metadata
    Sick Beard has a few different options for its Metadata Types. I will be covering XBMC only in my guide. If you will be using your collection only with XBMC or Boxee, enabling all of the XBMC Create: options should be the way to go.
    Alternatively, you could try leaving both the thumbnail options disabled (the last two), which will leave XBMC Media Center to automatically generate them.

If you will not be using any media librarys, it’s best to leave all the Matedata optios disaled otherwise Sick Beard will generate unneeded files that will clutter up your file system.

If you would rather Use Banners instead of Posters check this box as well.

Episode Naming
    This is highly dependent on your preferred episodic organizational schema. Thankfully, if you pick something that you don’t like, you can use Sick Beard to rename the shows that are already organized in your collection!

I leave the defaults here with one exception. I uncheck Use dates for air-by-date shows. If you’re not regularly backing-up your Sick Beard database you may also want to enable Quality. Pick what works best for you, as the descriptions on the options are very clear.

Once done, be sure to hit the Save Changes button here, and we’ll move on to the last section, Notifications.

Notifications

This whole tab is optional, if you’re using XBMC you can Enable Sick Beard to send a message to let you know when a show has been downloaded. You can also have Sick Beard update the XBMC Library so that the new content is immediately available in your XBMC Library.

I recommend enabling all the check box options (the first four). If there’s something you don’t care about here skip it. In XBMC, go to System and then Network. If not already set, enable Allow Control of XBMC via HTTP. Set the port to 8082 and leave the password blank (username doesn’t matter).

In Sick Beard set XBMC host to:

127.0.0.1:8082
    Leave both the XBMC Username and Password fields blank. To test simply hit the Test XBMC button and XBMC should pop up with a visual and auditory test alert.
    If so, you’re golden. If not, verify the above steps and try again.

The rest of the notification options will not be covered in this guide. If you’re interested in them Enable them and fill in the require settings.

Once you’re satisfied, hit the last Save Changes button and move on to the closing! You’re done!

• @megaman That post would make for a great Wiki article! :wink:

• Or maybe a book… man that was long!

• yes that is a very long guide :eyes: maybe i can edit it down some and add to the wiki.

• @megaman how do you get passed the error message about a certain directory needing to be writable? Not near my Antergos PC at the moment, so I don’t recall what that path is, unfortunately.

• what is the error message? tell me what you are trying to do.

i should mention that i have my sickbeard setup on a kodibuntu machine. i have a desktop pc and then i have my htpc for sickbeard and sabnzb.

i wouldnt use this guide word for word on antergos since this guide was made for linux mint. you kinda gotta just take some of the general info. its still a good guide to walk you through the steps.

• i should also mention sickbeard and sabnzbd are both in AUR. i dont know if that would make installing them easier? just a thought.

• I’m running sabnzbd just fine.

When I try to run Sickbeard, I get this:
    Data directory: /usr/lib/sickbeard must be writable (write permissions). Exiting

• did you install via AUR?

on my setup i just download sickbeard and run it from my home folder. you can make a shortcut to it or run it via the terminal.

if you want to keep your current setup you will have to change the permissions for that folder. im not really a expert in that area but here is a link to the arch wiki on file permissions
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=File_permissions_and_attributes&redirect=no

the message seems very clear that you dont have permission to write to that folder.

• I agree the message is clear, but something seems inherently wrong about giving a “regular user,” even though that user is me, permission to write to a directory that is not normally writable without su permissions.

Yes, I installed using yaourt. Everything I have read talks about a directory in the home directory somewhere, but apparently this installs in another way.

• i would download sickbeard directly and make a sickbeard folder in your home directory. extract in to that folder. this will fix any permission problems. this is how i have always set mine up and it works great.

sickbeard1 Posts 13Views 2969