• (Solved)How do you install AMD drivers?

Please provide step by step instructions on how to do so. Thank you!

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151
    Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 8GB DDR4-2800
    Storage: Western Digital 1TB
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Red)
    Power Supply: EVGA 850W Gold 80+

• Hi,

Check the wiki. If you have trouble, let us know :smile:

http://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/amd-catalyst-drivers/

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs Is there an easier way to install it because I keep running into problems

• that guide is a bit confusing for a newer user. i would suggest you just use the opensource drivers unless you are having some major problems.

• @megaman The opensource drivers are terrible for video editing and other stuff. Is there a linux distro that comes with the AMD drivers by default?

• @ChrisMX3417 ive heard they have improved a lot of late. you have tested them out already? im not sure of any distro have enables them by default but something like ubuntu or linux mint make them much easier to install.

• @ChrisMX3417 Did you try using the helper script? I tried to update it recently but I don’t have AMD on my system so I don’t know if I missed something. Let me know if you got any errors with it.

• @lots.0.logs I extracted the helper script but I don’t know what to do from here. Do I copy and paste this stuff somewhere or what? Thank you!2015-04-06--1428337323_1366x768_scrot.png 2015-04-06--1428337309_1366x768_scrot.png 2015-04-06--1428337281_1366x768_scrot.png

• No. Open a terminal in the directory that you downloaded the zip file to and then do this:

unzip installCatalyst.zip
    chmod +x  installCatalyst.py
    sudo ./installCatalyst.py

• @lots.0.logs I am trying to but it keeps saying I don’t have permission. Is there a way around this? 2015-04-06--1428341523_1366x768_scrot.png 2015-04-06--1428341546_1366x768_scrot.png

• @lots.0.logs I really need help

• Are you using openbox or xfce?

• @lots.0.logs I am using openbox

• I only recommend using Openbox to users who have a bit of linux experience under their belt. Honestly. when you are at a beginner level and are trying to learn, its like you are setting yourself up for failure by choosing Openbox on an Arch based system. I strongly suggest that you give serious consideration to using GNOME. Cinnamon, or Xfce instead of Openbox.

That being said, you need to open the terminal directly from the Application menu (not from within the file manager). You should then be able to execute commands.

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs said:

I only recommend using Openbox to users who have a bit of linux experience under their belt. Honestly. when you are at a beginner level and are trying to learn, its like you are setting yourself up for failure by choosing Openbox on an Arch based system. I strongly suggest that you give serious consideration to using GNOME. Cinnamon, or Xfce instead of Openbox.

Those are very wise words. Openbox is cool because is fast, but you have to know very well what you’re doing… almost everything must be setup by hand modifying text files, not an easy task for novice people (You could add KDE4 to the recommended list, but the amount of setup options can also be overwhelming for a novice user).

Oh, if I recall correctly, to open a terminal you can use the shortcut Special Key (windows key) + T

• @karasu Sorry, I have been away from my PC for awhile because I took a vacation up to northern Michigan (It was a blast!). I’ve gotten the helper script to work and I installed the AMD drivers. It said it downgraded xorg and related dependencies and I was wondering is this a good or bad thing? Does it effect anything? I also want to know if AMD releases another driver, how do I upgrade it?

• Hi @ChrisMX3417 ,

Don’t worry, I really envy you! xD

It said it downgraded xorg and related dependencies and I was wondering is this a good or bad thing? Does it effect anything? I also want to know if AMD releases another driver, how do I upgrade it?

Long story short, AMD does not update its driver as often as it should, so you need to use an old Xorg version to run it. It’s not a bad thing per se, but if there is a new version… you should be able to use it. Shame on them!

About a new version, I think that the script downloads the driver from a repository, so it should update itself, but to tell you the truth, I have Nvidia cards in all my PC’s so I really don’t know.

I’m sure lots.0.logs can help you better.

Cheers!

• Hi @ChrisMX3417

Good that you got catalyst installed with the helper script.

I just came here to tell you that the catalyst wiki page is updated and is now completely different from what you saw 3 months ago. and yeah, is pretty straight forward now.

The do_it_yourself section can solve almost all your arising questions. So, just go through it once when you have time.

What to do when catalyst Updates?
    Just remove the [xorg116] repo from pacman.conf and update the system. (article shall tell you how)

http://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/amd-catalyst-drivers/#Do_it_yourself

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @karasu and @lots-0-logs : The helper script in the wiki is no longer available. What do?

• I do not know why the script has been removed. I’ll ask @lots-0-logs .

Meanwhile, you can follow the “do it yourself” part, is a step by step guide that’s easy to follow. Ask us if you have any doubts.

http://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/amd-catalyst-drivers/#Do_it_yourself

Cheers!

Posts 20Views 3588