• Edimax USB WiFi Support Lost

Hello, Antergos Community,

I’m attempting to use an Edimax USB WiFi card in my desktop for internet access. When I first installed, it connected beautifully. Now, however, post upgrade to the new kernel, it can recognize and begin connecting to the adapter, but eventually times out and fails.

I tried downgrading but no luck. I’m up to date on all other packages, and am using Openbox for my WM. The WiFi connection runs on other devices perfectly fine, but just not here. Any help would be very appreciated.

Also, slightly off topic, I can’t seem to locate the ipeth module for iPhone tethering. I can open another forum page for this, if necessary.

Thanks, guys, for the OS and the support for it.

• Hi,

Which chipset uses that WiFi card? Post here the result of lsusb, please.

• Thank you for taking a look. Here’s the output for lsusb.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1058:1100 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. My Book Essential Edition 2.0 (WDH1U)
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0603:0002 Novatek Microelectronics Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

• Try installing the driver from the AUR, enable dkms, and reboot:

yaourt -S dkms-8188eu
    sudo systemctl enable dkms
    reboot

Let us know the result!

• You guys are responsive. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. It looks like the package didn’t build correctly.

Error! echo
    Your kernel headers for kernel 3.18.6-1-ARCH cannot be found at
    /usr/lib/modules/3.18.6-1-ARCH/build or /usr/lib/modules/3.18.6-1-ARCH/source.
    Error! echo
    Your kernel headers for kernel 3.18.6-1-ARCH cannot be found at
    /usr/lib/modules/3.18.6-1-ARCH/build or /usr/lib/modules/3.18.6-1-ARCH/source.
    modprobe: WARNING: Module 8188eu not found.
    error: command failed to execute correctly

Is there anything I can do to make it run correctly?

• Is your system completely up-to-date?
    pacman -Syyu

I sent you a chat msg, the forum is going to be down for a bit. Shouldnt be too long. Cheers!

• I saw that, but I thought it was something sent to everyone, noreply and that sort, I didn’t know you meant it for me. Sorry about that.

I upgraded everything and brought the kernel back up to speed, ran the installation again, everything ran perfectly smooth, but the WiFi still isn’t working after reboot.

• Okay, make sure that the module is loaded by creating this file /etc/modules-load.d/edimax.conf and add 8188eu to it. Also create this file: /etc/modules-load.d/blacklist.conf and add this to it: install rtlwifi /bin/false

Cheers!

• Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

I put those in and tried running those two commands again, reboot, and no luck.

• Hmmm…Could you post the system journal logs here? There is a sticky topic with instructions for obtaining the logs if you need it.

Cheers!

• lightdm.log logs.zip lightdm.log.old
    The LightDM logs seem kind of error prone, so they might not open. It’s also worth noting that I went somewhere with unprotected WiFi and it connected fine.

Thanks!

• This post is deleted!
  • Try installing this module from the AUR (its supposed to have some patches that the built-in module does not): 8192cu-dkms

wifi86 edimax1 lost6 support1 usb65 Posts 13Views 3023