• Enable window transparency in muffin?

I am trying to enable true window transparency (specifically for the terminal emulator, which is xfce4-terminal 0.6.2) in Cinnamon/Muffin. When i enable transparency within the xfce4-terminal preferences, it only implements fake transparency (it just shows the desktop, not actual other windows that are underneath the terminal).

My understanding is that Cinnamon does use a compositor, which i thought would make this possible. I even installed the Compton package and tried to run it, but I get the message that “Another composite manager is already running”. I’ve looked in the Menu->System Tools->System Settings->Windows but there aren’t any options in there about enabling compositing. Am i looking in the wrong place? or is this not possible? If it is not possible with Muffin, how can i enable Compton to run along with or instead of Muffin?

• I am trying to enable true window transparency (specifically for the terminal emulator, which is xfce4-terminal 0.6.2) in Cinnamon/Muffin. When i enable transparency within the xfce4-terminal preferences, it only implements fake transparency (it just shows the desktop, not actual other windows that are underneath the terminal).

My understanding is that Cinnamon does use a compositor, which i thought would make this possible. I even installed the Compton package and tried to run it, but I get the message that “Another composite manager is already running”. I’ve looked in the Menu->System Tools->System Settings->Windows but there aren’t any options in there about enabling compositing. Am i looking in the wrong place? or is this not possible? If it is not possible with Muffin, how can i enable Compton to run along with or instead of Muffin?

• Unfortunately cinnamon will not function properly with compiz. I am sure mutter will get better transparency options sooner rather than later. For now we’ll just have to live with the illusion of transparency

Posts 3Views 1023