• Dual boot Antergos + Windows and Encryption, how do I make it happen?

Hello Antergos community, I’m just trying out your distro for the first time and just from how snappy and elegant the live USB is, I’m very excited about Antergos.

Here’s my situation: installation is happening on a portable; already installed Windows in the last 60GB of laptop’s 240GB SSD. First few partitions in the beginning of SSD are the Windows boot partions and OEM partition. There’s a 160GB between the boot and Windows main partitions where I was planning to install Antegros root 20GB and Home partition 140GB. I’d like to encrypt the installation but it’s not available in the custom partition Menu. The Automated disk section says it’s going to erase the whole disk. I’m assuming that means I’ll loose my Windows, Is there a workaround this? If not, is there a way I can backup the Windows partition with Clonezilla and restore it after Antergos installation? If not, can I just reinstall windows after Antergos is installed?

• Hi,

"I’d like to encrypt the installation but it’s not available in the custom partition Menu"
    It will be (hopefully) available on Cnchi 0.8.x
    But until then, it has to be done manually before the installation.
    Do you want to encrypt your home partition or both? (root and home)
    I ask this because if it’s only home it easier to setup, and you can follow this guide:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_a_non-root_file_system
    If you want to encrypt the entire system:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system

Please read those and ask here as many questions you want to ask, I’ll be more than glad to help.

Cheers!

• @karasu Thank you so very much! I’ll have a look at those.

• Hello :) !

After alot of work, I’ve succeed in setting up LUKS+Antergos with Windows in a dualboot. I found that the Arch/grub Wiki tutorials, as extensive and well written as they were, were missing some very important info in setting up grub to mount an encrypted container. Furthermore, the CLI installer was outright broken. Still, I’ve managed to resolve all my installation issues and took notes while doing it. I will be writing and posting in this forum an Antergos oriented tutorial for Arch Newbs (such as myself - lolol) who want to dual boot Antergos+LUKS/LVM2 with windows. I’ll post the link here when I’m done. ;)

• Hey, I noticed in one of your more recent builds that the new version of Cnchi installer has the option LUKS encrypting individual partitions (no LVM2) . Would the tutorial I’m proposing still be relevant/helpful to you guys, I’ve written a third of it but it’s pretty long and I’d rather not write if it’s not needed.

I’ll give you the details and you can give me some feedback:

The tutorial would be on how to setup a LVM2 logical volume group in a luks encrypted container. In the January 2015 release of Antergos, I found the command line installer to be broken (as in, it was missing alot of thing in it’s installation, giving error in mkcpio and grub etc etc) but it had a great utility which took made setting up LVM2 and LUKS really easy. In my tutorial, I would show the reader how to use the CLI to get their encryption and logical volumes going and then use Cnchi to do the rest of the installation. This would be the structure more or less:

• Step 1: Setup your windows before setup your linux (make sure it’s only taking up only a fraction of your hard drive). If you want to keep an already existing windows, you’ll have to resize it’s partition.
    • Step 2: Launch Antergos CD or USB
    • Step 3: Launch CLI installer and use it to setup LUKS encrypted container and LVM2 logical volumes where you will install your different Antergos partitions.
    • Step 4: Close CLI and use Nautilus (Files) to decrypt and mount LUKS/LVM2 partitions.
    • Step 5: Open Cnchi and use Cnchi GUI installer to install Antergos. In prepare hard disk section of installer: be sure to select custom partitions (that’s the second option). You now be able to see the LUKS/LVM2 partion’s you’ve mounted and able to format and use them as mount points. Do not reboot when installation is finished.
    • Step 6: Add encrypt and lvm2 hooks to /install/etc/mkinitcpio.conf (/install is the mount path for your future Antergos root)
    • Step 7: Add relevant encryption parameters to /install/etc/grub file
    • Step 8: Setup an environment where you can compile the mkinitcpio.conf and grub files. In terminal chroot the /install directory or whatever your Antergos root partition mount path is.
      mount or bind /boot /proc /dev /sys run/lvm and any partions you’ve setup (such as /home or /usr etc…)
    • Step 9: From terminal, while in chroot, run mkinitcpio and grub-mkconfig
    • Miscellaneous: some errors you can run into; managing your LVM2 volumes
encrypt2 encryption11 dual boot21 windows37 Posts 5Views 3323