• Ethernet Adapter - Not Responding to Cable Change

I use my laptop for network troubleshooting quite a bit. One thing that is a bit frustrating is that if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the laptop, then reconnect the cable, or if I have to reboot a router, my laptop does not reconnect automatically. In fact, it acts as if the cable is no longer connected, even though the link lights on the connected switch/router say otherwise.

For what it’s worth, I had the same issue in Ubuntu. I would just use the network manager and disable/enable the NIC, then it would work again. I can’t find that option for the wired connection in Antergos. SO, what I did today was to take down the driver then re-enable it with:

sudo rmmod r8169
    sudo modprobe r8169

That works, but ideally, I’d just like the NIC to work as it is supposed to.

Any ideas to help me with this? According to lshw, the network adapter is
    RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Thanks

• @Myk-Robinson said:

RTL8111/8168/8411

What’s the output of lspci | grep Ethernet?

• @lots.0.logs

03:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., LTD. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

• Try installing r8168 (its in the official repos). You’ll probably need to blacklist r8169 so that udev will load r8168 automatically. Let me know how it goes!

• How do I blacklist in Antergos? I come from Ubuntu, and am finding some differences in how things are done.

• Actually, when I installed r8168, it gave me the command to blacklist the conflicting driver. Will report back shortly.

• @lots.0.logs

That worked! I unplugged and replugged three times, and each was successful.

Thank you

• You’re welcome. I’m glad it was an easy fix :wink:

ethernet11 Posts 8Views 1962