• Why lightdm with Antergos Gnome

I apologize if the question has already been answered, but I tried to search and didn’t find. Can somebody explain why Antergos Gnome comes with lightdm instead of GDM? what are the benefits to change default gnome GDM?
    I’ve already experienced some minor issues related to Lightdm, like no screensaver, no power management and issues with some Logitech keyboards which refuse to use the system layout and fall back to US kb layout on login screen (which can be fixed in gdm but couldn’t in lightdm).
    Should I remove lightdm and install gdm?

Intel NUC D54250WYK, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD
    Multi -boot (no MS-Win &no UEFI) Legacy MBR with GPT

• @ant77 If you want to install gdm go for it, i read where others had some of the same issues with gnome. lightdm is cross-desktop, it is easier to maintain lightdm than different display managers for different DE’s. So instead lightdm is used because it is able to handle other desktop environments.

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

• Thanks now I got it. I’ll try gdm and see if it’s better :+1:

• @detrimental said:
    lightdm is cross-desktop

Does this mean if I use GNOME exclusively (which I do) I may better off using GDM? With lightdm I experience lock screen and suspend issue.

You know, I was wrong. I thought you boys weren't prepared for the future. But now, I realize your future is gonna be filled with that crap. So keep it up, you guys will be just fine. (Stan Smith, 9-13)

• @vlad said:

Does this mean if I use GNOME exclusively (which I do) I may better off using GDM? With lightdm I experience lock screen and suspend issue.

Since I changed to gdm 2 days ago, it’s like a breath of fresh air on my gnome antergos. I can understand the devs prefer the same display manager for all flavors, but from a user’s point of view I would D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y go for gdm. All those annoying issues have gone and gdm is much better integrated. Ok the beautiful wallpapers on login screen have also gone… but I think it will be easy to change the grey gnome background with something else.

• @ant77 said:

@vlad said:
    but I think it will be easy to change the grey gnome background with something else.

:laughing: I’m afraid you might be in for a surprise when you try to change that gray background on GDM. hehe…I’m not laughing at you, I don’t want you to think that I am…its just extremely ironic (what you said).

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs said:

:laughing: I’m afraid you might be in for a surprise when you try to change that gray background on GDM.

eheheh LOL yes you’re right to say ‘eheheh’ because it’s not as obvious as that to change that grey screen. But it’s OK, I’m done!! In fact when we logout, we are talking of 2 backgrounds. The first one (the ‘waiting’ screen with the time) can be easily changed with gnome settings /Personal /Background /Lock Screen. The second one, the actual ‘login screen’, which is grey by default, can be changed by replacing the default ‘noise-texture.png’ in /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/
    Easiest way to do this for a newbie, open nautilus as root:
    sudo nautilus /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/
    make a backup of “noise-texture.png” image (just in case) and replace it.
    That’s all Folks!!!
    :laughing:

• @ant77 said:

eheheh LOL yes you’re right to say ‘eheheh’ because it’s not as obvious as that to change that grey screen. But it’s OK, I’m done!! In fact when . The second one, the actual ‘login screen’, which is grey by default, can be changed by replacing the default ‘noise-texture.png’ in /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/

FYI, this will no longer be possible in GNOME 3.16+ (The shell theme has been compiled into the shell binary so it’s no longer editable without a great deal of effort).

• @lots.0.logs
    Not an issue here. I am not convinced that the background pic for login screen is in any way essential for what most of us do with our computers. I was more concerned with non locking screen with lightdm, and time it took to get back from suspend (though this may be kernel issue). At the end I installed GDM few days ago, and I can definitely recommend for everyone using only GNOME. Don’t get me wrong, I would have liked to avoid the whole tinkering with it, but lightdm was simply not working as it should, once it does I’ll switch back to it.

Apart from this minor DM related issue I am really happy with the distro, been using it for over a year now (except for few months when for whatever reason it wasn’t working on my laptop, one that I am using now. However, after few months I was able to install Antergos again).

You know, I was wrong. I thought you boys weren't prepared for the future. But now, I realize your future is gonna be filled with that crap. So keep it up, you guys will be just fine. (Stan Smith, 9-13)

• @lots.0.logs said:

FYI, this will no longer be possible in GNOME 3.16+ (The shell theme has been compiled into the shell binary so it’s no longer editable without a great deal of effort).

OK time to share infos, I knew it wouldn’t take too long to correct this, and it’s now very easy to edit GDM login screen :) Credits to an arch forum member, who posted a useful bash script:
    GNOME 3.16 + GDM Login & Background Image
    Now, just open a terminal in the login-bckground script folder and type:
    IMAGE=/path/to/your/wallpaper.png sh login-background.sh
    And voilà! Enough of that grey depressing login screen :smiling_imp:

Posts 10Views 4167