• Grub fails on multi-boot

I already noticed on Ubuntu that when an arch distro is also installed, Grub hangs when updated, just before listing the distros it finds. I had to wait about a minute when I had Manjaro installed, and then a couple of minutes when I also added Antergos.
    When Antergos installs and starts grub config at the end, it also hangs, but seems not to wait for grub to finish and a warning appears that something went wrong. The system is un-bootable and the only way to fix is to manually edit /etc/fstab which is empty.
    Does anybody know what grub is looking for when arch is installed? why this does not happen on debian-based distros?

Intel NUC D54250WYK, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD
    Multi -boot (no MS-Win &no UEFI) Legacy MBR with GPT

• When installed, I never let Antergos control Grub. Cnchi is great in that it allows installation without Grub. I let the Ubuntu distro control Grub, which is not a problem as Arch is a rolling distro.

• The issue where grub-mkconfig hangs for an extended amount of time has been around for quite some time now. From what I can tell, the bug is within osprober. I have looked into it more than a few times but I never could turn up anything that would help solve it. :disappointed:

• @lots.0.logs Oh thanks for explaining, at least now I know I’m not the only one who noticed this bug! And no parkslope, this problem is not related to the distro controlling grub, from Ubuntu, Mint… grub always hangs when it finds arch in the system.
    However, waiting for the problem to be solved, may I suggest to delay the time cnchi waits for grub to finish, so that the install doesn’t get corrupted, making the all system unbootable (what a frustration for a newbie!)?

Intel NUC D54250WYK, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD
    Multi -boot (no MS-Win &no UEFI) Legacy MBR with GPT

• @ant77 Yes, there can be a delay of no more than a minute with a Debian/Ubuntu distro when updating Grub. But all my OS’s boot.

Good luck.

• @ant77 said:

I suggest to delay the time cnchi waits for grub to finish, so that the install doesn’t get corrupted, making the all system unbootable (what a frustration for a newbie!)?

We already did :-)

Posts 6Views 1445