• [SOLVED]- Yaourt Fails

I hate to keep posting, but seems like I can’t find answers to what are likely simple problems :(

I started another thread about F-prot, which I had previously installed from the downloadable perl installer on the F-prot website. I would like to install the one from the AUR because it already includes the CRON jobs I would like to have in place to keep the definitions updated. I also want to learn how this OS works versus the 'Buntu derivatives I have historically used.

Anyway, I can’t find F-prot using pacman. I “think” i have figured out that maybe pacman doesn’t search AUR, but yaourt does. So, I try the command

yaourt -S fprot

and I get an error Missing package() function in /tmp/yaourt-tmp-myk/aur-fprot/.PKGBUILD

How do I correct this?

Thanks

• Hi,

You’re right, pacman does not search or install from AUR, you must use yaourt.

Do you have multilib enabled in /etc/pacman.conf? Something like this (uncommented!):

[multilib]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

• @karasu

Thanks for the response.

Yes, Multilib is enabled. Had to do that yesterday to install Teamviewer ;)

What else might I be missing?

• It looks like the pkgbuild maintainer has not updated it since pacman 4.2 was released. Now all pkgbuilds are required to include a package function. In many cases you can simply rename the build function to package and it will work. I havent had a chance to review the pkgbuild. I will try to take a look asap and let you know.

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs said:

It looks like the pkgbuild maintainer has not updated it since pacman 4.2 was released. Now all pkgbuilds are required to include a package function. In many cases you can simply rename the build function to package and it will work. I havent had a chance to review the pkgbuild. I will try to take a look asap and let you know.

Cheers!

Since we’re in the newbie portion, I guess there’s no shame in asking ;)

When you say to rename the build function to package , I assume I need to select edit on one of the files. I am familiar with using nano, so I may try this evening. I just want to make sure this all gets documented in case someone else has the same issue.

Thanks

• Okay, for anyone else who needs help with this, here’s what I did:

yaourt -S fprot (or whatever package you’re trying to install that provides the error message from the original post)

On the first question, Edit PKGBUILD , choose yes. I used *nano as my editor because it makes sense ;)

Look through the PKGBUILD file and locate build() and change it to package()

Save, then continue to install as normal. Seems to work fine.

Posts 6Views 2861