• CUPS Error Message with Add Printer.

Using CUPS 2.0.2 WEB Administration Interface. As soon as I click [Add Printer] I get these message in the logs:

Feb 21 15:14:18 dldsk01 hp[2458]: io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1
    Feb 21 15:14:18 dldsk01 python[2457]: io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1

I’m trying to connect to a Brother MFC-8890DW which I have been using with Linux for many years without issue but have lots of problems since the CUPS 2.0 release (my other networks printers work fine from CUPS 2.0.2). And of course my Windows clients have no issue - nothing wrong with network or printer - operates fine. And from my Linux desktop I can still use Simple Scan to interact with the printer’s scanner with no issue.

Doesn’t seem to matter if I select in “Add Printer” either the Discovered Network Printer listed or manually selecting " Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)". For years I used this for the connection “ipp://BRW002556268268/ipp”.

Now when I try to use this the CUPS HTTP page stays at “waiting for localhost…” for a while then get this screen:

Add Printer BrotherMFC-8890DW Error
    Unable to get list of printer drivers:
    Success

Nothing else is in the log file - and I don’t know what to make of a “error” message of “success”.

Suggestions appreciated.

• I’ve been having this same issue with my wireless HP Printer since Cups 2.0 as well, but I’m just as unsure as you about what would be going on.
    I’ll see what I can find out about this ASAP.

Java is now a foreign language credit? Assembly would make more sense!

• Try force uninstalling foomatic-db-engine. It also causes lpinfo to not be able to find drivers. Just be sure to reinstall it afterwards.

cups error pp.c1 Posts 3Views 1866