• Hello from a new antergos user.

Just wanted to drop in here and say HI. I did a quick look and figured this was the best place to post this

I’ve been trying out Antergos since last weekend on my Acer C720. I wanted to try it out for a few months to see if I want to switch my main rig, the desktop, over to it.

I love what you guys are doing here. The super easy install and setup couldn’t have been better. I was very pleased to see folks doing all the hard work do I didn’t have to command line though everything to get Arch up and running.

My plan is to run antergos for a few months on the chromebook and see if I can run it on my desktop which I use as my main rig. I saw beforehand that the Arch and AUR repos and pacman work quite a bit different then YAST or zypper with a lot more and frequent updates. I figure if I pay attention and do my updates in the right way at the right time I shouldn’t have to worry about problems or breakage.

I’m really hoping this antergos challenge works out good for me. I’m looking forward to completely switching and becoming active in the community, learning more, and helping others where I can.

• Hi,

Thanks for your kind words.

About updates, a rule of thumb is update at least once a week. I also recommend to keep an eye on the archlinux website, and of course, visit this forum from time to time.

Cheers!

• I agree with karasu, if you are about to update and see important core packages for sure check arch site. If you are careful and look what is being updated before just updating blindly should you run into some issue you will know what is causing it and can fix it. Be aware when kernel is updating and other core packages like xorg so if something goes wrong you can just revert to older package.

Anyways. Welcome to Antergos! If you run into any issues and need assistance post on the appropriate board and someone will be able to help, most of the time pretty quick;y.

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

• I have been using arch proper for a while, but after a castatrofic death of my hdd, i dint wanted to go thru the hassle again of arch proper.

So i go with antergos, and deligted it comes with the theme i always install, numix.

Thx you for your hard work

• @werkman2 Welcome to Antergos :-)

• What struck me at the install time was the ability to choose your desktop. That does save the dev’s a lot time and energy in not having to create so many different images for all the desktops.
    This release is really slick. Fast, very fast.
    I just came over from Manjaro and though it is ‘based on Arch’ it is not Arch. Antergos takes the pain out installing Arch. You get everything that Arch has to offer. What more could you want?
    I have run on multiple distributions, Ubuntu, Sabayon, Manjaro, Debian (Stable the SID), LMDE, Linux MInt and this is by far the best for me. Not saying it is for everyone, but for me at least it fits the bill.
    Kudos to the dev’s for creating such a fantastic release. My hat is off to them for all the work put into Antergos.
    I really don’t envision any problems that aren’t fixable by either coming here, the wiki or the ArchWiki. The Arch Wiki is a great place to go for information for any Linux distribution, not just Arch.
    The work put in Antergos should be a guideline for anyone thinking of using Arch, provided you are not a ‘total noob’. lol
    As the philosophy goes, 'You are in charge of your system.'
    Pay attention to the updates and I think that you will have minimal problems.
    Again, thank to the Antergos Team for putting together a great distribution.

• Hello! I’ve just recently came across Antergos and I’m looking at picking up a Chromebook to test Antergos. I’ve had tons of experience with different distributions but haven’t loved them for a couple reasons. I’m curious for an update on how Antergos is running on your Chromebook? Thanks!

• @skyrocket : One of the devs managed to install it in his Chromebook, but I think it wasn’t a piece of cake. He hardly comes to the forum but if you experience any difficulties just ask here and I’ll talk to him.
    Cheers!

• @skyrocket :

Hi and welcome to Antergos! I’ll get right to the update your looking for.

About 1 week after my install there was some Arch changes that borked me up a bit, but the Antergos team started fixing links, repos, and updated the installer right away. After that I was able to boot up no problems.

I was still fighting with suspend/resume with Antergos just the same as the 3 other distros I put on there. I followed all the steps( about 2 or 3 different ones for each distro from different time periods) that would supposedly solve this problem. None worked no matter how new or patched the kernel was.

I finally broke down and and applied the John Lewis coreboot/seabios script/flash to my little machine. Everyone has steps on how to do this too. It’s basically a script that checks your hardware, disables software write protect, takes a snapshot of your bios, flashes a modified coreboot/seabios with all the corrects setting and flags just the same as one would do for the initial developer mode entry via chrosh, verifies that it flashed correctly with no errors, and then tell you your good to reboot.

It was not hard at all and I lost all fear of doing it after I came across John’s G+ site and saw that he was extremely active on it helping people work through problems if they had any AND how to go back to the plain old stock Google ChromeOS if they didn’t like real Linux.

After I did that all of my Chromebook specific issues went away and I couldn’t be happier. Antergos snaps to life on boot up looking all pretty and working great. Please note, it also runs perfect with no missing hardware functionality while booted off of a USB live stick too now.

I can only talk about my intel CPU based adventures and how the John Lewis script cleaned up all my issues. Aside from that I have no problems or issues and love my install. I have no idea if there is a ARM port of Antergos so you have to make sure that if you are going to buy a Chromebook make sure it is intel based or you will need to find an ARM port of a distro.

OH, and I was only able to get the 32 bit ISO to load. I have not tried the 64 bit since I did the JL script. I only have 4G or RAM anyway and everything has been working so good that I just haven’t touched it.

Please feel free to ask me anything more specific or simple about this. Maybe best to ask specifics in the proper subforum and just ping/mention my nick so it’s easier to help others too.

• Please feel free to ask me anything more specific or simple about this. Maybe best to ask >specifics in the proper subforum and just ping/mention my nick so it’s easier to help others too.

That’s very kind of you!
    Cheers!

• @billj said:

@skyrocket :

Hi and welcome to Antergos! I’ll get right to the update your looking for.

About 1 week after my install there was some Arch changes that borked me up a bit, but the Antergos team started fixing links, repos, and updated the installer right away. After that I was able to boot up no problems.

I was still fighting with suspend/resume with Antergos just the same as the 3 other distros I put on there. I followed all the steps( about 2 or 3 different ones for each distro from different time periods) that would supposedly solve this problem. None worked no matter how new or patched the kernel was.

I finally broke down and and applied the John Lewis coreboot/seabios script/flash to my little machine. Everyone has steps on how to do this too. It’s basically a script that checks your hardware, disables software write protect, takes a snapshot of your bios, flashes a modified coreboot/seabios with all the corrects setting and flags just the same as one would do for the initial developer mode entry via chrosh, verifies that it flashed correctly with no errors, and then tell you your good to reboot.

It was not hard at all and I lost all fear of doing it after I came across John’s G+ site and saw that he was extremely active on it helping people work through problems if they had any AND how to go back to the plain old stock Google ChromeOS if they didn’t like real Linux.

After I did that all of my Chromebook specific issues went away and I couldn’t be happier. Antergos snaps to life on boot up looking all pretty and working great. Please note, it also runs perfect with no missing hardware functionality while booted off of a USB live stick too now.

I can only talk about my intel CPU based adventures and how the John Lewis script cleaned up all my issues. Aside from that I have no problems or issues and love my install. I have no idea if there is a ARM port of Antergos so you have to make sure that if you are going to buy a Chromebook make sure it is intel based or you will need to find an ARM port of a distro.

OH, and I was only able to get the 32 bit ISO to load. I have not tried the 64 bit since I did the JL script. I only have 4G or RAM anyway and everything has been working so good that I just haven’t touched it.

Please feel free to ask me anything more specific or simple about this. Maybe best to ask specifics in the proper subforum and just ping/mention my nick so it’s easier to help others too.

I appreciate the in-depth comment! I’ll keep thinking about it and if I do decide to get the Chromebook, I’ll let you know. :)

Posts 11Views 3057