• Solved: Issue with LightDM

The recent LightDM changes fail to change /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf correctly.

The line “greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter” was still “greeter-session=lightdm-webkit-greeter.”

Changing webkit to webkit2 fixes the issue.

EDIT: More Detailed Instructions

Reboot

When you get to grub, press the down arrow so the timer stops counting down

Highlight the “Antergos Linux” entry, and then press E

Arrow down to the line that starts “linux /boot/vmlinuz”

At the end of that line, add “systemd.unit=multi-user.target”

Press F10 to boot

Run the following command:
    $ cd /etc/lightdm

Use your favorite text editor to edit the line

greeter-session=lightdm-webkit-greeter

Change it to

greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter

If you’re using nano, you can use CTRL-W to find this line more easily. It will be towards the bottom of the file.

Save your changes and reboot with

$ sudo shutdown -r now

• Thanks for reporting this! I will take care of it.

Cheers!

• No problem! I opened an issue on Github with a fix. There’s also a minor permissions issue on the antergos theme folder.

• @pid1 Thanks…I think the permissions are correct now but they were not correct before which is causing the errors to show in pacman output. There is bug report open for pacman regarding how it handles permission situations like this. Hopefully they will straighten it out soon.

• Man i could not find this ca 2 hours ago. Had to remove lightdm completly and am now using gdm. Works fine for me. I already once had a lightdm greeter update error like this. And also had to resolve it with gdm, because i could not find anything about it.

• I solved this issue by simply opening a tty screen and running the command
    sudo pacman -Syyu
    After the newer update of LightDM, everything works fine!
    *Thanks Dustin -:)

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @George-Pantelis Yup, this isn’t needed since the update. =)

• Hi…i had same problem. I tried to follow your topic but i didn’t solve the problem and my lightdm greeter doesn’t work. I have Mate like desktop environment. When i log out from mate menù the lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos doesn’t appear and i can’t login.
    I attached to this message a pacman.log copy…pacman.log.

It seems there is a authorization problem or like this one…Could you help me???

• Hi! When you say you tried to follow the the topic, what exactly did you do?
    I give a more detailed description of my actions.

1. Boot into Antergos and open a tty screen by pressing (Ctrl+Alt+F2).
    2. You will enter a black screen, asking for your user name to login & for your password, afterwards.
    3. You then type the command
      sudo pacman -Syyu
    4. Type your password again, install the new update and …
    5. When you are done with the installations, type
      reboot
      to get your pc started again and I hope you will be able to enter… (at least this worked for me).

Cheers!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Hi George, thank you for your help. I’ve already tried also with command:
    sudo pacman -Syyu

but the answer is that there isn’t any update avalaible…

• @manu1979 It looks like you have both lightdm-webkit2-greeter and lightdm-webkit-greeter installed concurrently.

Run a “sudo pacman -Rsn lightdm-webkit-greeter” and then “sudo pacman -S lightdm-webkit2-greeter”. That may resolve things.

• There was a change needed in the theme that I missed. Sorry! It has been corrected in v2.0.7 which should be available in all repos within the hour.

• To pid1…thanks for your help but i don’t have lightdm-webkit-greeter installed otherwise it was impossible the lightdm-webkit2-greeter packet installation due to their conflict…
    So what i have to do? Is it only necessary install the v2.0.7 lightdm-webkit2-greeter?

• You need only install the greeter theme. It will take care of the dependencies (just answer “Yes” when prompted):

sudo pacman -S lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos

• My problem isn’t solved yet. I can’t logout or change the user session. This is my pacman log (i have used kalu. Please focalize your attention on the last warnings):

[2015-02-16 21:10] [kalu] synchronized database extra
    [2015-02-16 21:11] [kalu] synchronized database community
    [2015-02-16 21:11] [kalu] synchronized database antergos
    [2015-02-16 21:11] [kalu] starting sysupgrade…
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] transaction started
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] upgraded ghostscript (9.15-1 -> 9.15-2)
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] upgraded hplip (3.15.2-2 -> 3.15.2-3)
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/
    filesystem: 775 package: 755
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/css/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/font-awesome/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/img/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/js/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/img/thumbs/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/font-awesome/css/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/font-awesome/fonts/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/css/lib/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/share/lightdm-webkit/themes/antergos/css/bootstrap/
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] upgraded lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos (2.0.6-3 -> 2.0.7-1)
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Setting Antergos as default LightDM Theme
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] upgraded python-setuptools (1:12.1-1 -> 1:12.2-1)
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [ALPM] transaction completed
    [2015-02-16 21:13] [kalu] sysupgrade completed

It seems a directory permission problem…Any idea???

• I followed all of the above and have the same issue I guess. I got tty2 to say couldn’t start lightdm service, or something close to it. It flashed on quickly then went away.

Using an Acer C720

• Please…Is there anyone which can help us?

• HI,

Try running the following commands:

su
    pacman -Rn lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos
    pacman -Scc
    pacman -Syyu
    pacman -S lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos

Then check /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and verify the following options are correct:

greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter
    # The next value should be the DE that you are using.
    user-session=cinnamon

Let me know the results!

• okay…thank you…Below there is my report concerning your commands:

[[email protected] ~]$ su
    Password: 
    [[email protected] manu]# pacman -Rn lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos
    controllo delle dipendenze in corso...

Pacchetti (1) lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos-2.0.7-1

Dimensione totale dei pacchetti rimossi:  1,68 MiB

:: Vuoi rimuovere questi pacchetti? [S/n] 
    (1/1) rimozione in corso di lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos    [################################] 100%
    [[email protected] manu]# pacman -Scc

Directory della cache: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
    :: Vuoi rimuovere TUTTI i file dalla cache? [s/N] s
    rimozione di tutti i file dalla cache in corso...

Directory del database: /var/lib/pacman/
    :: Vuoi rimuovere i repository inutilizzati? [S/n] 
    rimozione dei repository inutilizzati in corso...
    [[email protected] manu]# pacman -Syyu
    :: Sincronizzazione dei database in corso...
     core                               120,1 KiB   817K/s 00:00 [################################] 100%
     extra                             1792,2 KiB  2,65M/s 00:01 [################################] 100%
     community                            2,5 MiB  2,74M/s 00:01 [################################] 100%
     antergos                           321,7 KiB   585K/s 00:01 [################################] 100%
    :: Aggiornamento del sistema in corso...
    risoluzione delle dipendenze in corso...
    ricerca dei pacchetti in conflitto in corso...

Pacchetti (3) clutter-1.20.0-3  libinput-0.10.0-1  wayland-1.7.0-1

Dimensione totale dei pacchetti da scaricare:    1,88 MiB
    Dimensione totale dei pacchetti da installare:  16,72 MiB
    Dimensione netta dell'aggiornamento:             0,08 MiB

:: Vuoi procedere con l'installazione? [S/n] 
    :: Download dei pacchetti in corso...
     libinput-0.10.0-1-i686              52,6 KiB   626K/s 00:00 [################################] 100%
     wayland-1.7.0-1-i686               156,6 KiB  1118K/s 00:00 [################################] 100%
     clutter-1.20.0-3-i686             1713,9 KiB  1797K/s 00:01 [################################] 100%
    (3/3) verifica delle chiavi presenti nel portachiavi         [################################] 100%
    (3/3) verifica dell'integrità dei pacchetti                  [################################] 100%
    (3/3) caricamento dei file dei pacchetti                     [################################] 100%
    (3/3) controllo dei conflitti in corso                       [################################] 100%
    (3/3) controllo dello spazio disponibile sul disco           [################################] 100%
    (1/3) aggiornamento in corso di libinput                     [################################] 100%
    (2/3) aggiornamento in corso di wayland                      [################################] 100%
    (3/3) aggiornamento in corso di clutter                      [################################] 100%
    [[email protected] manu]# pacman -S lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos
    risoluzione delle dipendenze in corso...
    ricerca dei pacchetti in conflitto in corso...

Pacchetti (1) lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos-2.0.7-1

Dimensione totale dei pacchetti da scaricare:   0,80 MiB
    Dimensione totale dei pacchetti da installare:  1,68 MiB

:: Vuoi procedere con l'installazione? [S/n] 
    :: Download dei pacchetti in corso...
     lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos...   824,1 KiB   883K/s 00:01 [################################] 100%
    (1/1) verifica delle chiavi presenti nel portachiavi         [################################] 100%
    (1/1) verifica dell'integrità dei pacchetti                  [################################] 100%
    (1/1) caricamento dei file dei pacchetti                     [################################] 100%
    (1/1) controllo dei conflitti in corso                       [################################] 100%
    (1/1) controllo dello spazio disponibile sul disco           [################################] 100%
    (1/1) installazione in corso di lightdm-webkit-theme-ant...  [################################] 100%
    Setting Antergos as default LightDM Theme
    [[email protected] manu]#

But nothing is changed. It is impossible logout or closing the session or changing user by logout function…
    Wht do you think about this last result?

• @manu1979 Please post the contents of the following files, thanks.

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    /etc/lightdm/lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf
    /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

Be sure to use code blocks when posting logs/code. You can make any text block appear as a code block in the forum by adding three “back ticks”
    ( ` `` ) on the line before and the line after it.

lightdm89 Posts 32Views 22541