• How to gain authorization to perform a action?

How do I gain authorization to perform a action in Gnome Disk Utility? I seem to cannot figure this out. I would greatly appreciate it!

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151
    Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 8GB DDR4-2800
    Storage: Western Digital 1TB
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Red)
    Power Supply: EVGA 850W Gold 80+

• How do I gain authorization to perform a action in Gnome Disk Utility? I seem to cannot figure this out. I would greatly appreciate it!

• hi. What specific action are you trying to perform? All I see is something about write cache settings.
    have you tried to [i:143bdex1]su[/i:143bdex1] your action via Terminal?

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• @“Modisc”:2n9yjsy7 said:

hi. What specific action are you trying to perform? All I see is something about write cache settings.
    have you tried to [i:2n9yjsy7]su[/i:2n9yjsy7] your action via Terminal?[/quote:2n9yjsy7]
    I am trying to write cache my hard drive but I don’t know how to use the terminal to do this. How can I do this with the terminal to be able to do this?

• Have you done a performance test first?
    Are you sure it isn’t already enabled?
    Is your Hard drive an IDE based drive?
    To do a performance test, you use the utility [i:1eu0yy1n]hdparm[/i:1eu0yy1n]

sudo pacman -S hdparm

It’s wiki page and usage is here:

[url:1eu0yy1n]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hdparm#Usage[/url:1eu0yy1n]

If going to use this utility, be careful as it can do some nasty stuff to your hard drive. Also, might you be aware that by enabling write caching,a file system corruption and/or data loss could occur if your machine experiences a power, a device or a system failure and cannot be shutdown properly. So be careful.
    Use that utility first to find stuff out about your hardware.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• Thank you for the tip and I also have all my important files backed up just in case something goes wrong. I am well aware of the data loss possibilities if my the system experiences a sudden power outage but that shouldn’t be a problem since I’m running Antergos on a laptop and the battery would save me

• no problem. If any questions on usage, don’t hesitate to ask. If you want the help file on [i:2mh0hwkt]hdparm[/i:2mh0hwkt], do

hdparm --help

It’s usage parameters are:

Usage: hdparm [options] [device ...]

So if your not familiar with the paramater set up as given in the help file for the tool, it would be something like this:

sudo hdparm -B /dev/sdX

or

sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda

Use this last command to [u:2mh0hwkt]begin with[/u:2mh0hwkt] on getting info of your HDD.
    You can tell if write caching is enabled if there is a * next to Write cache. Look under the following after you’ve input that last command on getting info on your hard drive:

Commands/features:  
    Enabled Supported:

Posts 7Views 1505