• Unable to connect to Wi-Fi on Surface Pro 2

Hi! I’m an Arch/Antergos newbie and I was trying to install the system on my Surface Pro 2. It has a Marvell 88W8797 wireless chipset. Everything in the OS works great, but there’s no working Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Because of this (and because I can’t buy an USB-Ethernet adapter) I’m unable to install Antergos (or plain Arch Linux, for that matter) on the tablet.

The system comes with the driver [i:1b0sn9qw]usb8797_uapsta.bin[/i:1b0sn9qw] by default since a few ISOs ago. Nice. It does nothing at all. Right now (on this session at least), it seems that the OS detects the chipset as Bus 002 Device 008, ID 1286:2044, and the system loads the interface driver [i:1b0sn9qw]mwifiex_usb[/i:1b0sn9qw], but then the networking device does not appear with the command [i:1b0sn9qw]ip link[/i:1b0sn9qw], where there’s just a lo (loopback) device.

What can I do? Thanks in advance for your help :3

• Hi! I’m an Arch/Antergos newbie and I was trying to install the system on my Surface Pro 2. It has a Marvell 88W8797 wireless chipset. Everything in the OS works great, but there’s no working Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Because of this (and because I can’t buy an USB-Ethernet adapter) I’m unable to install Antergos (or plain Arch Linux, for that matter) on the tablet.

The system comes with the driver [i:1b0sn9qw]usb8797_uapsta.bin[/i:1b0sn9qw] by default since a few ISOs ago. Nice. It does nothing at all. Right now (on this session at least), it seems that the OS detects the chipset as Bus 002 Device 008, ID 1286:2044, and the system loads the interface driver [i:1b0sn9qw]mwifiex_usb[/i:1b0sn9qw], but then the networking device does not appear with the command [i:1b0sn9qw]ip link[/i:1b0sn9qw], where there’s just a lo (loopback) device.

What can I do? Thanks in advance for your help :3

• Hi,

You can start by running the ‘dmesg’ command to see what the kernel is telling you. Look for any clues there.

Maybe this thread is of any help: [url:209a294p]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=158490[/url:209a294p]

• Thank you for helping me! ^_^

I’ve checked out with [i:38au99og]dmesg |grep wifi[/i:38au99og] (rebooted the Surface) and found this.

[ 20.555957] usbcore: registered new interface driver mwifiex\_usb  
    [ 21.909111] mwifiex\_usb: mwifiex\_usb\_disconnect: card or card-\>adapter is NULL  
    [ 42.808542] usb 2-2: mwifiex\_cmd\_timeout\_func: Timeout cmd id = 0xa9, act = 0x0  

Don’t know what to do from here on.
    Also, I already have found that thread and another one. Neither were too useful.

• Hi,

You need to load the firmware for your wifi card. Check that you have the package linux-firmware installed

[command:1sh9eo40]sudo pacman -S linux-firmware[/command:1sh9eo40]

Now unload and load the driver again:
    [command:1sh9eo40]sudo modprobe -r mwifiex_usb && sudo modprobe mwifiex_usb[/command:1sh9eo40]

Run dmesg to check the kernel output:
    [command:1sh9eo40]dmesg[/command:1sh9eo40]

It says something different? Post it here! ;)

If it’s not working, also post the output of modinfo:
    [command:1sh9eo40]sudo modinfo mwifiex_usb[/command:1sh9eo40]

Cheers!

• Already did that (and was suggested to do it via Google+). It gives the same output. But I can’t understand why - the chipset works (almost) flawlessly on Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

[i:3aqfkxej]EDIT: have to check out modinfo later[/i:3aqfkxej]

• OKay, here’s what I’ve got for return after running [i:6y24121v]modinfo[/i:6y24121v]:

filename: /lib/modules/3.17.6-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/mwifiex/mwifiex\_usb.ko.gz  
    firmware: mrv/usb8897\_uapsta.bin  
    firmware: mrv/usb8797\_uapsta.bin  
    license: GPL v2  
    version: 1.0  
    description: Marvell WiFi-Ex USB Driver version1.0  
    author: Marvell International Ltd.  
    srcversion: B58ADC41B83AB1AE9164A88  
    alias: usb:v1286p2046d\*dc\*dsc\*dp\*icFFiscFFipFFin\*  
    alias: usb:v1286p2045d\*dc\*dsc\*dp\*isc\*ip\*in\*  
    alias: usb:v1286p2044d\*dc\*dsc\*dp\*icFFiscFFipFFin\*  
    alias: usb:v1286p2043d\*dc\*dsc\*dp\*isc\*ip\*in\*  
    depends: mwifiex,usbcore  
    intree: Y  
    vermagic: 3.17.6-1-ARCH SMP preempt mod\_unload modversions  

• Hi,

I was expecting an easy solution, like not loading the firmware or a missing kernel module, but it seems it’s not the case.

I’m really sorry but I don’t know how to help you. Maybe somebody with experience with the Surface will be able to help you.

I’ll search a bit more when I have the time.

Cheers!

• Antergos is now able to connect to Wi-Fi networks, but hangs randomly after connecting. Will have to wait some time for it to get stable.

Posts 9Views 3287