• Desktop Icons Plasma 5

Dumb question. I have been searching Plasma 5 and the Arch Wiki about how to add Icons to my Desktop. I suspect I am missing a package.

Any ideas how to do it?

Thanks.

• Dumb question. I have been searching Plasma 5 and the Arch Wiki about how to add Icons to my Desktop. I suspect I am missing a package.

Any ideas how to do it?

Thanks.

• Hi,

I am about 90% sure that Plasma doesn’t allow icons to be placed directly on the desktop. Instead it offers a plasma applet for displaying any directory. You can set it to show your ~/Desktop directory.

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2hjexfhy said:

Hi,

I am about 90% sure that Plasma doesn’t allow icons to be placed directly on the desktop. Instead it offers a plasma applet for displaying any directory. You can set it to show your ~/Desktop directory.

Cheers![/quote:2hjexfhy]
    Thanks, I finally found the answer. The more I see and use Plasma 5, the less I like. Too bad as I had high hopes for it. This reminds me of the ugliness of Gnome Shell when it was first unveiled. As a result, I keep going back to Cinnamon.

• I also find myself always back to Cinnamon. I have high hopes for Plasma 5 but I’m not going to even try it until it has matured more. I don’t want to be disappointed. Maybe I’ll try it around version 5.7-ish

• You know, plasma 5 for me at least, after upgrading it from v.4 to v.5 works out quite well. I haven’t noticed anything unusual yet.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• @“Modisc”:u2xvm1hj said:

You know, plasma 5 for me at least, after upgrading it from v.4 to v.5 works out quite well. I haven’t noticed anything unusual yet.[/quote:u2xvm1hj]
    I didn’t upgrade, I installed Plasma 5 with Cinnamon already installed.

The other issue that has popped up is that the computer monitor does not turn off in Plasma 5. And now the Power Management settings in Cinnamon also don’t work (I have it set to turn off after 5 minutes). I have to wonder if Plasma and Cinnamon aren’t playing well together.

Any ideas how to tackle the issue in either DE or should I start a new thread?

Thanks.

• I’ve found it to be a good practice to create separate user accounts for each DE you install on a single system. While it “should” work regardless, as you have noticed there can be conflicts so its best to avoid them altogether :-)

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:vnj5vwrj said:

I’ve found it to be a good practice to create separate user accounts for each DE you install on a single system. While it “should” work regardless, as you have noticed there can be conflicts so its best to avoid them altogether :-)

Cheers![/quote:vnj5vwrj]
    I never thought of that. I’ll give it a try although I doubt it will be the fix I’m looking for. I probably will need to provide my logs.

• Yeah its not going to help at this point because the damage has already been done. I just mentioned it for future reference :-)

Posts 10Views 4820