• Back to Antergos. Very impressed.

Hey everybody. I used antergos before, when it was new. Been away from it for a while, using my own distro as my daily driver, for testing. I just installed antergos openbox yesterday and I’m really impressed with how refined antergos has become! Install went off without a hitch and after first boot, I was greeted by a beautifully designed openbox installation. I love openbox but when I install it over arch, I can never get it exactly how I want it. You antergos devs have done a wonderful job and saved me lots of headaches.
    One thing I’m wondering though is why the forums seem to be so empty. Does it just mean that maybe the average antergos user doesn’t ask as many questions as with other distros?
    Anyways. Big thanks to the devs for making my life just a little easier. :)

Distro hopping junkie
    Developer for [Entropy GNU/Linux[/url:22cla13f]]0

• Hey everybody. I used antergos before, when it was new. Been away from it for a while, using my own distro as my daily driver, for testing. I just installed antergos openbox yesterday and I’m really impressed with how refined antergos has become! Install went off without a hitch and after first boot, I was greeted by a beautifully designed openbox installation. I love openbox but when I install it over arch, I can never get it exactly how I want it. You antergos devs have done a wonderful job and saved me lots of headaches.
    One thing I’m wondering though is why the forums seem to be so empty. Does it just mean that maybe the average antergos user doesn’t ask as many questions as with other distros?
    Anyways. Big thanks to the devs for making my life just a little easier. :)

Distro hopping junkie

• I’ve kind of noticed that as well with the forum being kind of empty. Maybe I can help to explain this from my own perspective. For instance, when I face a problem or need some kind of solution, I would just normally Google the solution and voila! Problem/issue resolved. Then there’s also the Arch Wiki. Very useful indeed and extremely well written, planned, and informative.

So now when I, for instance search google directly, it beats having to login, post, search, and then wait for an answer from here. There are exceptions. Right now, I"ve posted something on a problem that after Googling for a solution, hasn’t satisfied me. Hence, I’m here on the board to seek some help. :)

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2168&start=10#p12910][0]">viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2168&start=10#p12910

[0]: <a href=

• i agree the openbox version of antergos is great :D

• @“Modisc”:127qgewp said:

I’ve kind of noticed that as well with the forum being kind of empty. Maybe I can help to explain this from my own perspective. For instance, when I face a problem or need some kind of solution, I would just normally Google the solution and voila! Problem/issue resolved. Then there’s also the Arch Wiki. Very useful indeed and extremely well written, planned, and informative.

So now when I, for instance search google directly, it beats having to login, post, search, and then wait for an answer from here. There are exceptions. Right now, I"ve posted something on a problem that after Googling for a solution, hasn’t satisfied me. Hence, I’m here on the board to seek some help. :)[/quote:127qgewp]

I’m the same way. I practically live on the arch wiki. Just kinda sad. Both the antergos and archbang forums are dead. I blame manjaro. I don’t get it though. Manjaro is a nice looking distro but I’ve only ever had trouble with it.

Distro hopping junkie

• archbang seems more active then antergos forum. manjaro was a very active forum but ive also had trouble with it. not to mention they seem to ignore the openbox version from last i heard.

• Yeah. I actually went looking for it. Seems they gave up on it.
    I ran manjaro openbox for a while because it was so pretty. I quickly found out though, that doing configuration and tweaking, like I did in arch, caused a bunch of problems du to mhwd and stuff. I didn’t like that. And a more pure arch system, you can recover from breaks, with enough patience. With manjaro, if you break something, the only option is a fresh install. I dunno. There was something about it that just drove me insane. I think the devs over there are doing a good job. But everything was too simplified for me. I don’t wanna be pigeonholed into using a “point and click” gui.

Distro hopping junkie

• @“AnonKS”:26vvnaxz said:

Yeah. I actually went looking for it. Seems they gave up on it.
    I ran manjaro openbox for a while because it was so pretty. I quickly found out though, that doing configuration and tweaking, like I did in arch, caused a bunch of problems du to mhwd and stuff. I didn’t like that. And a more pure arch system, you can recover from breaks, with enough patience. With manjaro, if you break something, the only option is a fresh install. I dunno. There was something about it that just drove me insane. I think the devs over there are doing a good job. But everything was too simplified for me. I don’t wanna be pigeonholed into using a “point and click” gui.[/quote:26vvnaxz]

I have to agree on a couple of things with what you’ve said. I also ran openbox, but on archbang. I really like it a lot. I tried to do some tweaking of the openbox system on archbang. For me, it was a matter of attempt and fail followed by another attempt at success or failure. I really liked that. In having said that, ever since having migrated over to Linux (from Windoze), most especially the arch-based distros like Antergos, gives me a feeling of intelligence and knowledge base in how to utilize the OS I am working with. I find that Linux is incredibly more utilitarian (when using Terminal) than any kind of GUI such as what Windows or even what Linux gui might be on the odd occasion to simply matters for the user.

Also, I didn’t know that about Manjaro that with breaking something, it’d be best to re-install. I find that kind of extreme since that OS is also arch-based.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• well I suppose one could fix just about anything, in just about any linux system. Just manjaro uses some tools to simplify things for new users. That’s of course perfectly fine. The more users we get on linux, the better. They stray just enough away from arch, however, that the arch wiki isn’t always relevant to manjaro and manjaro isn’t as well documented as arch. (well really nothing is…maybe gentoo). Basically, a lot of time is spent in the forums asking for help. Even for an experienced user, if you’re just not familiar with some of the tools that are built in.
    There were also many occasions where I wanted to help someone fix something, the arch way, and was told “no they don’t need to do ALL THAT! Jesus this isn’t arch!” just like "lol wut?"
    I dunno. I honestly think that the devs there are doing a great job, for their target audience. I just apparently don’t belong to that audience.
    That’s where antergos comes in. A more pure type of arch, without the install headaches, with a great looking openbox installation, and I can do everything the way I’m used to. And if I break something, it’s my fault. That’s heaven, right there :)

Distro hopping junkie

• LOL, AnonKS. I love your comment. If you break something, it;'s your fault . That’s heaven. I had a good chuckle there.
    I did use Manjaro once. For about a month or so. Thereafter, I went back to a more pure Arch system. In that case, it was archbang. I’d do a dual boot system using that and Antergos this time. The openbox style was very simple. Very low on resources too.

• I used archbang for a while. That’s how I got into arch actually. Also the people on the forums are some great people to chat with. The archbang forums are where I met my dev partner for Entropy.
    I like antergos a lot though because there’s nothing in it that I myself don’t install. So it saves me a lot of time. The people here are friendly, just like at archbang. The community has a lot to do with if I run a distro or not. I can’t wait until antergos starts advertising. There was the user boom after it was featured on LAS, but now it’s really slow around here. I’m looking forward to the future though and antergos getting the recognition, and large number of users, that it deserves. :)

Distro hopping junkie

Posts 12Views 2189