• Transition of KDE software to the KDE Framework and Qt 5

[https://www.archlinux.org/news/transition-of-kde-software-to-the-kde-framework-and-qt-5/][0]">[https://www.archlinux.org/news/transiti][1] … -and-qt-5/

Transition of KDE software to the KDE Framework and Qt 5
    2015-01-26 - Andrea Scarpino
    The KDE Software Collection has been updated to KDE Applications 14.12.

The KDE developers have started porting their software to KDE Frameworks and Qt 5. For a list of the software that has been ported see the announcement.

When a KDE Frameworks port of a KDE application is considered stable, it is released with KDE Applications and development and bug fixes are no longer applied to the Qt4/KDE4 version. This means that as ported versions of applications are released, we will switch to the newer version. At the same time, we are getting rid of KDE module prefixes (e.g. kdebase-konsole -> konsole).

The result of this transition is that some packages will be using Qt5 and some will be using Qt4. We are working hard to make the transition smooth for KDE4 users, but things might look different depending on your configuration. Please adjust themes and colors as necessary for the two toolkits. See the wiki for help. We also recommend switching to Plasma 5.2 which will be released this week.

Please report upstream bugs to the KDE bugzilla. Feel free to CC me.
    : <a href=
    [1]: https://www.archlinux.org/news/transiti

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

• [https://www.archlinux.org/news/transition-of-kde-software-to-the-kde-framework-and-qt-5/][0]">[https://www.archlinux.org/news/transiti][1] … -and-qt-5/

Transition of KDE software to the KDE Framework and Qt 5
    2015-01-26 - Andrea Scarpino
    The KDE Software Collection has been updated to KDE Applications 14.12.

The KDE developers have started porting their software to KDE Frameworks and Qt 5. For a list of the software that has been ported see the announcement.

When a KDE Frameworks port of a KDE application is considered stable, it is released with KDE Applications and development and bug fixes are no longer applied to the Qt4/KDE4 version. This means that as ported versions of applications are released, we will switch to the newer version. At the same time, we are getting rid of KDE module prefixes (e.g. kdebase-konsole -> konsole).

The result of this transition is that some packages will be using Qt5 and some will be using Qt4. We are working hard to make the transition smooth for KDE4 users, but things might look different depending on your configuration. Please adjust themes and colors as necessary for the two toolkits. See the wiki for help. We also recommend switching to Plasma 5.2 which will be released this week.

Please report upstream bugs to the KDE bugzilla. Feel free to CC me.
    : <a href=
    [1]: https://www.archlinux.org/news/transiti

• How will we, antergos/arch users know when the transition is complete… I mean when will that time come when you choose kde in antergos and the entire kde DE will be the new one? Just wondering

• Archlinux devs are encouraging everyone to update to 5.2 and that it will be in arch repos this week.

Edit: Looks like 5.2.0-1 is in the extra repository now.
    *Edit: I updated my entire kde installation to 5.2.0-1 with no issues so far.

• @“detrimental”:cv1e1qhx said:

Archlinux devs are encouraging everyone to update to 5.2 and that it will be in arch repos this week.

Edit: Looks like 5.2.0-1 is in the extra repository now.
    *Edit: I updated my entire kde installation to 5.2.0-1 with no issues so far.[/quote:cv1e1qhx]
    Is it stable? More importantly, what command in terminal did you use in Konsole?

Thanks for any help.

• If you are already using plasma-next just run

sudo pacman -Syyu

If you are making the transition from kde4 remove kdebase-workspace and then install plasma;

sudo pacman -Rsc kdebase-workspace && sudo pacman -S plasma

I seems as stable as any other type of environment i have used. KDE4 applications will no longer receive development or bug fixes once they are ported to qt5/kf5, i guess if you encountered any inconveniences you could revert back to kde4 for the time being.

• I did the above commands and ended up with a black screen and login & kernel version. I was about to format and reinstall when i thought… hmmm let me pacman -S kde
    and got rid of all those that were installed and reinstalled kde voila back to comfortable working desktop… maybe all the packages for plasma next aren’t all ready?

• Out of curiosity, I am installing Antergos KDE right now with the default setup of 2015.01.11 ISO and then I will transition it to KDE FW5 to see what happens. :)

Edit #1: I found a pretty critical bug when installing KDE via Antergos. Konsole isn’t installed. I think it might be safe to say that all of the applications that transitioned from “kdebase-whatever” to “whatever” are not installed and thus the setup is broken. It isn’t completely lost to tty because of pacmanxg being installed which then gives me easy access to install Konsole. (issue I made on github, [https://github.com/Antergos/kde-setup/issues/4#issue-55698578][0]">[https://github.com/Antergos/kde-setup/i][1] … e-55698578 )

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://github.com/Antergos/kde-setup/i

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• @“detrimental”:6qrnm5m3 said:

If you are already using plasma-next just run

sudo pacman -Syyu

If you are making the transition from kde4 remove kdebase-workspace and then install plasma;

I seems as stable as any other type of environment i have used. KDE4 applications will no longer receive development or bug fixes once they are ported to qt5/kf5, i guess if you encountered any inconveniences you could revert back to kde4 for the time being.[/quote:6qrnm5m3]
    Good stuff, it works! The one problem I had was with lightdm. Plasma uses SSDM so during installation there was a conflict with lightdm webkit greeter which would not allow installation. What is the best way to handle that issue? I assume lightdm needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

• @“binskipy2u”:14mfx1re said:

I did the above commands and ended up with a black screen and login & kernel version. I was about to format and reinstall when i thought… hmmm let me pacman -S kde
    and got rid of all those that were installed and reinstalled kde voila back to comfortable working desktop… maybe all the packages for plasma next aren’t all ready?[/quote:14mfx1re]

What display manager were you using? Maybe removing kde-workspace and it dependencies removed your display manager?

@“parkslope”:14mfx1re said:

@“detrimental”:14mfx1re said:

sudo pacman -Syyu

I seems as stable as any other type of environment i have used. KDE4 applications will no longer receive development or bug fixes once they are ported to qt5/kf5, i guess if you encountered any inconveniences you could revert back to kde4 for the time being.[/quote:14mfx1re]
    Good stuff, it works! The one problem I had was with lightdm. Plasma uses SSDM so during installation there was a conflict with lightdm webkit greeter which would not allow installation. What is the best way to handle that issue? I assume lightdm needs to be replaced.

Thanks.[/quote:14mfx1re]

Disable lightdm service and then uninstall it, install sddm and enable it. (if i recall you can’t have sddm and lightdm installed at once because of conflicts)

sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service

sudo pacman -Rsc lightdm && sudo pacman -S sddm

(should just remove lightdm and the theme that depends on it, make sure before you say yes)

sudo systemctl enable sddm

If you want to use the breeze theme, make sure you have it installed and generate default sddm config and edit it accordingly. More information here;
    [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM][1]

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM

• @“detrimental”:2gjh1x3x said:

@“binskipy2u”:2gjh1x3x said:

I did the above commands and ended up with a black screen and login & kernel version. I was about to format and reinstall when i thought… hmmm let me pacman -S kde
    and got rid of all those that were installed and reinstalled kde voila back to comfortable working desktop… maybe all the packages for plasma next aren’t all ready?[/quote:2gjh1x3x]

What display manager were you using? Maybe removing kde-workspace and it dependencies removed your display manager?

@“parkslope”:2gjh1x3x said:

@“detrimental”:2gjh1x3x said:

sudo pacman -Syyu

I seems as stable as any other type of environment i have used. KDE4 applications will no longer receive development or bug fixes once they are ported to qt5/kf5, i guess if you encountered any inconveniences you could revert back to kde4 for the time being.[/quote:2gjh1x3x]

Thanks.[/quote:2gjh1x3x]

Disable lightdm service and then uninstall it, install sddm and enable it. (if i recall you can’t have sddm and lightdm installed at once because of conflicts)

sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service

sudo pacman -Rsc lightdm && sudo pacman -S sddm

(should just remove lightdm and the theme that depends on it, make sure before you say yes)

sudo systemctl enable sddm

If you want to use the breeze theme, make sure you have it installed and generate default sddm config and edit it accordingly. More information here;
    [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM][1][/quote:2gjh1x3x]
    Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I was unsure how to proceed as the wiki really didn’t reference lightdm. I really appreciate you getting back to me.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM

• so let me get this clear… I installed plasma-next and then uninstalled what it stated were in conflict. I rebooted and got a black screen w/ just a kernel version and log in prompt…

I was about to format and reinstall and thought… pacman -S kde (got rid of the plasma-next,etc) and reinstalled kde and voila everything worked…

but if i disable lightdm, remove it, install sddm, and enable sddm and THEN install plasma next (and let it uninstall conflicts) and reboot
    I should have an actual log in screen(sddm)??

• @“binskipy2u”:uryeyp95 said:

so let me get this clear… I installed plasma-next and then uninstalled what it stated were in conflict. I rebooted and got a black screen w/ just a kernel version and log in prompt…

I was about to format and reinstall and thought… pacman -S kde (got rid of the plasma-next,etc) and reinstalled kde and voila everything worked…

but if i disable lightdm, remove it, install sddm, and enable sddm and THEN install plasma next (and let it uninstall conflicts) and reboot
    I should have an actual log in screen(sddm)??[/quote:uryeyp95]

Yes, you may also have to explicitly install the kde apps that have not been ported and that are not pulled with plasma group. Its not pulling konsole so you may also want to at least install it before rebooting, konsole is now called konsole, not kdebase-console. If the other packages are trying to pull kdebase-workspace which conflicts with plasma-workspace you can add it to “IgnorePkg” in /etc/pacman.conf.

Not sure what all has been done regarding dependency conflicts as i installed plasma 5 right before all the changes.

• KDE 5/Plasma has come a long way. It still is buggy as 5.2 is still in Beta. The Desktop Wallpaper changes back to default at each reboot; no matter what I do, I need to enter a password when the system goes to sleep; and most glaring for some time - anything other than the default theme will work. Change to Oxygen or make too many changes to the base system and my system freezes up. Also, many packages are just not included that really should be. It is easy enough to add Konsole, but I’m sure I have many left out.

However, this certainly is more usable than any other Plasma Desktop I have tried thus far. Not quite stable enough for everyday use, but fun to play with.

• @“parkslope”:2pefaos6 said:

KDE 5/Plasma has come a long way. It still is buggy as 5.2 is still in Beta. The Desktop Wallpaper changes back to default at each reboot; no matter what I do, I need to enter a password when the system goes to sleep; and most glaring for some time - anything other than the default theme will work. Change to Oxygen or make too many changes to the base system and my system freezes up. Also, many packages are just not included that really should be. It is easy enough to add Konsole, but I’m sure I have many left out.

However, this certainly is more usable than any other Plasma Desktop I have tried thus far. Not quite stable enough for everyday use, but fun to play with.[/quote:2pefaos6]

I am not experiencing any of those issues, the password when your computer goes to sleep can be set: system settings > screen locking.
    If you don’t see it in system settings try ALT + F2 and typing “lock”. Maybe you have conflicting configurations from kde4, you could mv your .kde4 folder to something like .kde4backup and restart kde, plasma will still make a .kde4 folder but it will be fresh configs.

• @“detrimental”:3mnwwvrc said:

@“parkslope”:3mnwwvrc said:

KDE 5/Plasma has come a long way. It still is buggy as 5.2 is still in Beta. The Desktop Wallpaper changes back to default at each reboot; no matter what I do, I need to enter a password when the system goes to sleep; and most glaring for some time - anything other than the default theme will work. Change to Oxygen or make too many changes to the base system and my system freezes up. Also, many packages are just not included that really should be. It is easy enough to add Konsole, but I’m sure I have many left out.

However, this certainly is more usable than any other Plasma Desktop I have tried thus far. Not quite stable enough for everyday use, but fun to play with.[/quote:3mnwwvrc]

I am not experiencing any of those issues, the password when your computer goes to sleep can be set: system settings > screen locking.
    If you don’t see it in system settings try ALT + F2 and typing “lock”. Maybe you have conflicting configurations from kde4, you could mv your .kde4 folder to something like .kde4backup and restart kde, plasma will still make a .kde4 folder but it will be fresh configs.[/quote:3mnwwvrc]
    I did a clean install after the comments I read in this thread, which is fine as I just installed kde 4.1.13 a few days ago. Removing lightdm first as you suggested works well. Then install Plasma without all the dependency issues. That really is the way to go.

I will look into screen locking issue. You really taught me quite a bit with this thread, so it was worth the effort. Thanks!

• Just an FYI, I submitted a bug report to fix the issue of sddm being required when installing plasma5 since it actually is not required upstream. It should be fixed now. I’ll check on it tonight when I get home.

Cheers!

• I don’t have lightdm installed, instead i for whatever reason have sddm-kcm and kcm for x11 so would i have to “stop” that service if it is one, uninstall both of those, then install sddm itself per an earlier post in here… since when, like i wrote earlier, I added plasma-next and uninstalled all the kde stuff it asked to, i rebooted and had nothing but a kernel version and login prompt… just asking, pardon my ignorance… or should I just let arch devs do what they do, and update as usuall and when it asks me to uninstall anything, just do it, got get plasma next piece by piece until complete?>

• I think you must have installed it while they were in the middle of making some changes to the package groups. There is no more “plasma-next” meta package. Now there’s a “plasma” group. You could switch to lightdm like this:

sudo pacman -S plasma --needed  
    sudo pacman -R sddm-kcm  
    sudo pacman -S lightdm-webkit-theme-antergos

• My experience with KDE 5 has been bad. Crashing, flicking screens, frozen Desktop, etc. As long as no changes are made to System Settings, then it works. Change anything and trouble will follow. I had to go back to Cinnamon to get anything done. Oh well…

Posts 21Views 4269