• \[SOLVED\] ldconfig wrong magic bytes

Hi to all,

i’m quite new to Arch & linux general, with my last upgade of lib32-openssl-1.0.1.l-1 i got this:

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1gui.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2gui.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1controllers.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3core.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2core.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3gui.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3controllers.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1controllers.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1gui.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3core.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3controllers.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2gui.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1core.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1controllers.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2core.so.0.9.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2core.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3gui.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1core.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2gui.so.0.9.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1gui.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3controllers.so.3 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1core.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3core.so.3 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3gui.so.3 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

=> Process completed

what is it?
    do i need to do anything?

i read somewhere that i need to reinstall each package that owns these lib’s, is that true?
    thanks in advance

• Hi to all,

i’m quite new to Arch & linux general, with my last upgade of lib32-openssl-1.0.1.l-1 i got this:

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1gui.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2gui.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1controllers.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3core.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2core.so.2 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3gui.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3controllers.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1controllers.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1gui.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3core.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3controllers.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2gui.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1core.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1controllers.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2core.so.0.9.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2core.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3gui.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1core.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libokteta2gui.so.0.9.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1gui.so is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3controllers.so.3 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3okteta1core.so.0.3.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3core.so.3 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkasten3gui.so.3 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

=> Process completed

what is it?
    do i need to do anything?

i read somewhere that i need to reinstall each package that owns these lib’s, is that true?
    thanks in advance

• hi.
    ok, I’m not 100 percent sure what might be the problem but if your trying to want and use 32-bit libs, you need to enable the [i:2d50lbgm]multilib[/i:2d50lbgm] library in

you need to uncomment the [i:2d50lbgm]multiliblib[/i:2d50lbgm]. that is if you don't have them already enabled.   
    after you have done that, do:  

sudo pacman -Syu

try that to start with. If they were enabled already prior to that, have you synced to a current mirror?
    Would you be able to post the contents of your [code:2d50lbgm]makepkg.conf[/code:2d50lbgm] file?

EDIT: From what I’ve been reading on the web, it’s some kind of ELF executable. I think what might be happening is that somewhere within your system, a script or a process is trying to determine if this or that file (from the paths given) are executable ELF files. And somewhere along the line, that particular file at /path/to/file is not an ELF file. And in the process in trying to determine if it’s an ELF file, it fails.

As for trying to fix it, I’m afraid this is as far as I can go. sorry, have tried to help at least in understanding. But I’d still like to know outputs and maybe I can still help. :)

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• @“Modisc”:ukb4vzrj said:

hi.
    ok, I’m not 100 percent sure what might be the problem but if your trying to want and use 32-bit libs, you need to enable the [i:ukb4vzrj]multilib[/i:ukb4vzrj] library in

> you need to uncomment the [i:ukb4vzrj]multiliblib[/i:ukb4vzrj]. that is if you don't have them already enabled.   
    > after you have done that, do:  
    >   
    > sudo pacman -Syu

try that to start with. If they were enabled already prior to that, have you synced to a current mirror?
    Would you be able to post the contents of your [code:ukb4vzrj]makepkg.conf[/code:ukb4vzrj] file?

EDIT: From what I’ve been reading on the web, it’s some kind of ELF executable. I think what might be happening is that somewhere within your system, a script or a process is trying to determine if this or that file (from the paths given) are executable ELF files. And somewhere along the line, that particular file at /path/to/file is not an ELF file. And in the process in trying to determine if it’s an ELF file, it fails.

As for trying to fix it, I’m afraid this is as far as I can go. sorry, have tried to help at least in understanding. But I’d still like to know outputs and maybe I can still help. :)[/quote:ukb4vzrj]

Hi Modisc,

so yes I allready have multilib uncommented

here is my pacman -Syu output

:: Synchronizing package databases…
    core is up to date
    extra 1800.7 KiB 684K/s 00:03 [################################################] 100%
    community 2.5 MiB 531K/s 00:05 [################################################] 100%
    multilib 121.0 KiB 399K/s 00:00 [################################################] 100%
    antergos 328.5 KiB 449K/s 00:01 [################################################] 100%
    :: Starting full system upgrade…
    warning: chromium-pepper-flash: local (1:15.0.0.239-1) is newer than antergos (1:15.0.0.223-4)
    warning: package-query: ignoring package upgrade (1.4-1 => 1.5-4)
    warning: pacman: ignoring package upgrade (4.1.2-7 => 4.2.0-6)
    warning: yaourt: ignoring package upgrade (1.5-1 => 1.5-2)
    resolving dependencies…
    looking for inter-conflicts…

Packages (3): firefox-35.0.1-1 flashplugin-11.2.202.440-1 lib32-flashplugin-11.2.202.440-1

Total Download Size: 51.97 MiB
    Total Installed Size: 126.71 MiB
    Net Upgrade Size: -0.04 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
    :: Retrieving packages …
    firefox-35.0.1-1-x86_64 38.9 MiB 541K/s 01:14 [################################################] 100%
    flashplugin-11.2.202.440-1-x86_64 8.3 MiB 600K/s 00:14 [################################################] 100%
    lib32-flashplugin-11.2.202.440-1-x86_64 4.8 MiB 747K/s 00:07 [################################################] 100%
    (3/3) checking keys in keyring [################################################] 100%
    (3/3) checking package integrity [################################################] 100%
    (3/3) loading package files [################################################] 100%
    (3/3) checking for file conflicts [################################################] 100%
    (3/3) checking available disk space [################################################] 100%
    (1/3) upgrading firefox [################################################] 100%
    (2/3) upgrading flashplugin [################################################] 100%
    (3/3) upgrading lib32-flashplugin [################################################] 100%

sudo pacman -Syu 10.39s user 2.28s system 8% cpu 2:27.94 total

as you can see I ignored some packages (I wonder if that helped with my problem)
    …and here is my makepkg.conf

#
    # /etc/makepkg.conf
    #

#########################################################################
    # SOURCE ACQUISITION
    #
    #-- The download utilities that makepkg should use to acquire sources
    # Format: 'protocol::agent’
    DLAGENTS=(‘ftp::/usr/bin/curl -fC - --ftp-pasv --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u’
    ‘http::/usr/bin/curl -fLC - --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u’
    ‘https::/usr/bin/curl -fLC - --retry 3 --retry-delay 3 -o %o %u’
    ‘rsync::/usr/bin/rsync --no-motd -z %u %o’
    ‘scp::/usr/bin/scp -C %u %o’)

# Other common tools:
    # /usr/bin/snarf
    # /usr/bin/lftpget -c
    # /usr/bin/wget

# ARCHITECTURE, COMPILE FLAGS
    #
    CARCH="x86_64"
    CHOST=“x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu”

#-- Compiler and Linker Flags
    # -march (or -mcpu) builds exclusively for an architecture
    # -mtune optimizes for an architecture, but builds for whole processor family
    CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
    CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
    CXXFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
    LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,–sort-common,–as-needed,-z,relro"
    #-- Make Flags: change this for DistCC/SMP systems
    #MAKEFLAGS="-j2"
    #-- Debugging flags
    DEBUG_CFLAGS="-g -fvar-tracking-assignments"
    DEBUG_CXXFLAGS="-g -fvar-tracking-assignments"

# BUILD ENVIRONMENT
    #
    # Defaults: BUILDENV=(fakeroot !distcc color !ccache check !sign)
    # A negated environment option will do the opposite of the comments below.
    #
    #-- fakeroot: Allow building packages as a non-root user
    #-- distcc: Use the Distributed C/C++/ObjC compiler
    #-- color: Colorize output messages
    #-- ccache: Use ccache to cache compilation
    #-- check: Run the check() function if present in the PKGBUILD
    #-- sign: Generate PGP signature file
    #
    BUILDENV=(fakeroot !distcc color !ccache check !sign)
    #
    #-- If using DistCC, your MAKEFLAGS will also need modification. In addition,
    #-- specify a space-delimited list of hosts running in the DistCC cluster.
    #DISTCC_HOSTS=""
    #
    #-- Specify a directory for package building.
    #BUILDDIR=/tmp/makepkg

# GLOBAL PACKAGE OPTIONS
    # These are default values for the options=() settings
    #
    # Default: OPTIONS=(strip docs !libtool !staticlibs emptydirs zipman purge !upx !debug)
    # A negated option will do the opposite of the comments below.
    #
    #-- strip: Strip symbols from binaries/libraries
    #-- docs: Save doc directories specified by DOC_DIRS
    #-- libtool: Leave libtool (.la) files in packages
    #-- staticlibs: Leave static library (.a) files in packages
    #-- emptydirs: Leave empty directories in packages
    #-- zipman: Compress manual (man and info) pages in MAN_DIRS with gzip
    #-- purge: Remove files specified by PURGE_TARGETS
    #-- upx: Compress binary executable files using UPX
    #-- debug: Add debugging flags as specified in DEBUG_* variables
    #
    OPTIONS=(strip docs !libtool !staticlibs emptydirs zipman purge !upx !debug)

#-- File integrity checks to use. Valid: md5, sha1, sha256, sha384, sha512
    INTEGRITY_CHECK=(md5)
    #-- Options to be used when stripping binaries. See `man strip’ for details.
    STRIP_BINARIES="–strip-all"
    #-- Options to be used when stripping shared libraries. See `man strip’ for details.
    STRIP_SHARED="–strip-unneeded"
    #-- Options to be used when stripping static libraries. See `man strip’ for details.
    STRIP_STATIC="–strip-debug"
    #-- Manual (man and info) directories to compress (if zipman is specified)
    MAN_DIRS=({usr{,/local}{,/share},opt/*}/{man,info})
    #-- Doc directories to remove (if !docs is specified)
    DOC_DIRS=(usr/{,local/}{,share/}{doc,gtk-doc} opt/*/{doc,gtk-doc})
    #-- Files to be removed from all packages (if purge is specified)
    PURGE_TARGETS=(usr/{,share}/info/dir .packlist *.pod)

# PACKAGE OUTPUT
    #
    # Default: put built package and cached source in build directory
    #
    #-- Destination: specify a fixed directory where all packages will be placed
    #PKGDEST=/home/packages
    #-- Source cache: specify a fixed directory where source files will be cached
    #SRCDEST=/home/sources
    #-- Source packages: specify a fixed directory where all src packages will be placed
    #SRCPKGDEST=/home/srcpackages
    #-- Log files: specify a fixed directory where all log files will be placed
    #LOGDEST=/home/makepkglogs
    #-- Packager: name/email of the person or organization building packages
    #PACKAGER=“John Doe <[email protected]>”
    #-- Specify a key to use for package signing
    #GPGKEY=""

# COMPRESSION DEFAULTS
    #
    COMPRESSGZ=(gzip -c -f -n)
    COMPRESSBZ2=(bzip2 -c -f)
    COMPRESSXZ=(xz -c -z -)
    COMPRESSLRZ=(lrzip -q)
    COMPRESSLZO=(lzop -q)
    COMPRESSZ=(compress -c -f)

# EXTENSION DEFAULTS
    #
    # WARNING: Do NOT modify these variables unless you know what you are
    # doing.
    #
    PKGEXT=’.pkg.tar.xz’
    SRCEXT=’.src.tar.gz’

# vim: set ft=sh ts=2 sw=2 et:

thanks man…

p.s. how do you post long list ( in quotes or what ever) with the scrollbar so that i get to post a shorter post :) , and yeah how do you post emoticons :)

• Use the Code tags for listing your Terminal output. Use the ‘Reply to Topic’ and you’ll see smilieys on the left hand side.

First, [u:18u3jka3]before proceding[/u:18u3jka3] read my whole post thoroughly right to the very bottom to ensure you don’t miss anything.

Googling this problem for you has turned up some information. Some posts throughout the web claim that this can be safely ignored. Some posts throughout the net state to go into removing the .[i:18u3jka3]so[/i:18u3jka3] files. Then updating again with scrutiny to determine if there are follow up concerns. Some posts on the net report or query if the files are even in the right or correct directory.

Googling the process idconfig on the Linux man pages basically state the following about idconfig. When reading this, take note that lib directory is for library files. So files in the /lib directory are files used as a library for your system to process information and so forth.

escription

[u:18u3jka3]ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared libraries found in the directories specified on the command line,[/u:18u3jka3] in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted directories (/lib and /usr/lib). The cache is used by the run-time linker, ld.so or ld-linux.so. ldconfig checks the header and filenames of the libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their links updated.

ldconfig will attempt to deduce the type of ELF libs (i.e., libc5 or libc6/glibc) based on what C libs, if any, the library was linked against. [/quote:18u3jka3]

So basically what is happening is that it thinks that the offending files are ELF files stored in the /usr/lib directory and expects them to when linking them in that same directory. Similiar to what I explained above. But the problem is that they are not ELF files. I have no idea how or why this is happening in the first place.

Question: Do you have a multi-boot computer that has more than 1 Linux Distro on it? For example, Antergos and Ubuntu.[u:18u3jka3] Not [/u:18u3jka3]Windows.
    I am asking this question as you might come to understand in the below explanation/instruction and see the advantage of it.

What would happen if you rooted into the specific directory. That is you went

cd /usr/lib/ 

then,

followed by inputting your administrator password.  
    then,   
    mv libkasten3okteta1gui.so.1 /home/your-username-here/Documents

The 1st [i:18u3jka3].so[/i:18u3jka3] file you would be moving somewhere to your home directory

You can try this with more than just one file. Do 2 or 3 at the most. For example, you would do

sudo mv libkasten3okteta1gui.so.1 libokteta2gui.so.2 libkasten3okteta1controllers.so /home/your-username-here/Documents

[u:18u3jka3]You would not be deleting the offending files at all. [/u:18u3jka3]
    Then,

sudo pacman -Syu

What is the result after you do an update? That is, are there errors that follow as a result of having moved some of the files elsewhere for the time being?
    If no errors, what would happen if you rebooted into Antergos? Any boot concerns? What would happen if you cd back into usr/lib and

cd /usr/lib  
    su  
    mv libokteta2core.so.2 libkasten3controllers.so libkasten3gui.so /home/your-username-here/Documents

you could also go back into /usr/lib and see if the offending files were repopulated in that same directory as a result of having been moved.

[u:18u3jka3]again, you would not be deleting the offending files at all which you moved into your home directory somewhere. [/u:18u3jka3]

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• Ok so I figured it out, it’s nothing to do with lib32-openssl, the problem was with the okteta package, I moved all the offending .so files and removed the okteta package (a hex editor that I don’t need it anyway
    did a pacman -Syu, and all is back to normal, I’m going to keep the files lying around for a bit just in case.

thanks for your time Modisc

p.s. I had noscript on with firefox so that’s why my smiles didn’t work

• @"\\chakra//":chqa6lls said:

thanks for your time Modisc
    [/quote:chqa6lls]

Your Welcome.

So how has everything worked out with respect to having moved the .so files so far? I guess with one of the reports I reaad on the web about moving .so files somewhere else temporarily has helped you somewhat then. great job!

Posts 7Views 5552