• Replace lightdm with gdm by default when setting up Gnome 3

Hi folks,

reproducing a discussion I just had in IRC that I was asked to post here:

<axfelix_> just wanted to give a heads up that antergos probably shouldn’t be setting up lightdm by default with gnome 3 anymore
    <axfelix_> as it’s not supported and things are starting to break without gdm
    <axfelix_> specifically, lockscreen stuff isn’t configurable using gnome preferences in lightdm and several games that use middleware shims (unity and mono) will stutter badly in gnome without gdm
    <MichaelTunnell> axfelix_: post about this on the forum for a more public discussion
    <axfelix_> k, which subforum would you suggest?
    <MichaelTunnell> I dont know, but you dont need to use GNOME tools to edit the lockscreen, there are other tools :)
    <axfelix_> yeah, but the stuttering in games is actually an issue
    <axfelix_> and the gnome builtin prefs really go out of their way to be super usable and in every other case they work fine
    <MichaelTunnell> I’ve never experienced any stuttering, and I dont see how a lockscreen could affect a game performance
    <axfelix_> so I think there’s a case to be made for supporting them
    <axfelix_> it’s not the lockscreen affecting game performance, it’s something with the lightdm context vs. gdm
    <MichaelTunnell> alright, make the case.
    <axfelix_> I was surprised that fixed it too
    <MichaelTunnell> in the forum I mean
    <MichaelTunnell> I need to reboot so brb
    <axfelix_> try mini metro or shadowrun returns on steam if you want to duplicate
    <MichaelTunnell> I have played a lot heavier games on Steam without any issues it could be an issue of those games rather than lightdm
    <MichaelTunnell> brb
    <axfelix_> like I said, I think it’s the specific middleware shims used by the games (unity and mono respectively), both of which are very popular for linux ports of titles these days, and the issue disappeared after switching from lightdm to gdm, which also fixed a bug in prefs. I don’t have any more of a case than that to make. it was simple enough to switch to gdm but I think it should be the default for usability’s sake, I don’t think I have any more of a case to make than that.

• Hi folks,

reproducing a discussion I just had in IRC that I was asked to post here:

<axfelix_> just wanted to give a heads up that antergos probably shouldn’t be setting up lightdm by default with gnome 3 anymore
    <axfelix_> as it’s not supported and things are starting to break without gdm
    <axfelix_> specifically, lockscreen stuff isn’t configurable using gnome preferences in lightdm and several games that use middleware shims (unity and mono) will stutter badly in gnome without gdm
    <MichaelTunnell> axfelix_: post about this on the forum for a more public discussion
    <axfelix_> k, which subforum would you suggest?
    <MichaelTunnell> I dont know, but you dont need to use GNOME tools to edit the lockscreen, there are other tools :)
    <axfelix_> yeah, but the stuttering in games is actually an issue
    <axfelix_> and the gnome builtin prefs really go out of their way to be super usable and in every other case they work fine
    <MichaelTunnell> I’ve never experienced any stuttering, and I dont see how a lockscreen could affect a game performance
    <axfelix_> so I think there’s a case to be made for supporting them
    <axfelix_> it’s not the lockscreen affecting game performance, it’s something with the lightdm context vs. gdm
    <MichaelTunnell> alright, make the case.
    <axfelix_> I was surprised that fixed it too
    <MichaelTunnell> in the forum I mean
    <MichaelTunnell> I need to reboot so brb
    <axfelix_> try mini metro or shadowrun returns on steam if you want to duplicate
    <MichaelTunnell> I have played a lot heavier games on Steam without any issues it could be an issue of those games rather than lightdm
    <MichaelTunnell> brb
    <axfelix_> like I said, I think it’s the specific middleware shims used by the games (unity and mono respectively), both of which are very popular for linux ports of titles these days, and the issue disappeared after switching from lightdm to gdm, which also fixed a bug in prefs. I don’t have any more of a case than that to make. it was simple enough to switch to gdm but I think it should be the default for usability’s sake, I don’t think I have any more of a case to make than that.

• The issue you experienced, whatever the root cause, is not one that most users will experience. As you said, it is simple enough to switch to GDM should a user encounter the same issue. We are working on improvements to the lock screen situation. We have no plans to switch to GDM which is exclusive to GNOME and therefore cannot be used on other desktops.

Best Regards,

Posts 3Views 1871