• Heads Up: Grub Not Installing Correctly on EFI Systems

Hey guys,

I walked through the graphical installer with a custom /boot and / partitions. The installer seemed to work fine, until the end it reported that it had errors when installing grub.

To fix this, I hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 to another terminal and did the following:

\# su  
    \# efivars -l  

I got an error about efivars. No list was shown. Apparently Arch has changed some stuff dealing with efivars since I last did an install. More specifically [b:20n5nl6g]efivars[/b:20n5nl6g] is >Still supported by kernel upstream [b:20n5nl6g]but completely disabled in Arch’s official kernels.[/b:20n5nl6g]

I found some useful information on it here: [url:20n5nl6g]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Variables[/url:20n5nl6g]. Long story short, they are now favoring the replacement [b:20n5nl6g]efivarfs[/b:20n5nl6g].

To fix this, I needed to make a small change as root:

\# modprobe efivarfs  
    \# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

Then I could continue on as usual.

\# df -h  
    \# cd /install  
    \# mount -t proc proc proc/  
    \# mount --rbind /sys sys/  
    \# mount --rbind /dev dev/  
    \# mount --rbind /run run/  
    \# chroot /install /bin/bash  
    \# source /etc/profile  
    \# grub-install --target=x86\_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub\_uefi --recheck  
    \# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• Hey guys,

I walked through the graphical installer with a custom /boot and / partitions. The installer seemed to work fine, until the end it reported that it had errors when installing grub.

To fix this, I hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 to another terminal and did the following:

\# su  
    \# efivars -l  

I got an error about efivars. No list was shown. Apparently Arch has changed some stuff dealing with efivars since I last did an install. More specifically [b:20n5nl6g]efivars[/b:20n5nl6g] is >Still supported by kernel upstream [b:20n5nl6g]but completely disabled in Arch’s official kernels.[/b:20n5nl6g]

I found some useful information on it here: [url:20n5nl6g]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Variables[/url:20n5nl6g]. Long story short, they are now favoring the replacement [b:20n5nl6g]efivarfs[/b:20n5nl6g].

To fix this, I needed to make a small change as root:

\# modprobe efivarfs  
    \# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

Then I could continue on as usual.

\# df -h  
    \# cd /install  
    \# mount -t proc proc proc/  
    \# mount --rbind /sys sys/  
    \# mount --rbind /dev dev/  
    \# mount --rbind /run run/  
    \# chroot /install /bin/bash  
    \# source /etc/profile  
    \# grub-install --target=x86\_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub\_uefi --recheck  
    \# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• Thanks for this. Grub installed fine on my antergos install. On my arch install, however, I was having trouble and couldn’t figure out why. So thank you 🙂

Distro hopping junkie
    Developer for [Entropy GNU/Linux[/url:22cla13f]]0

• Thanks for this. I just did 2 installs on EFI systems in the past week and couldn’t reproduce this. I am glad you were able to solve it

Posts 4Views 2744
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.