• Hp device manager setup problem.

Hi. Though I was able to set up my HP Officejet_4500_G510g-m 5 in 1 printer via the System settings (Gnome DE), I am unable to take full advantage of its functions, because I cannot set it up via the hplip tool.
    On running

I am getting this outcome  
    Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)  
    error: No PPD found for model officejet\_4500\_g510g-m using old algorithm.  
    error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model officejet\_4500\_g510g-m

Any assistance appreciated…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Hi. Though I was able to set up my HP Officejet_4500_G510g-m 5 in 1 printer via the System settings (Gnome DE), I am unable to take full advantage of its functions, because I cannot set it up via the hplip tool.
    On running

I am getting this outcome  
    Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)  
    error: No PPD found for model officejet\_4500\_g510g-m using old algorithm.  
    error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model officejet\_4500\_g510g-m

Any assistance appreciated…

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• hi. my reply is a bit late; however, after googling your problem to help you out a bit, I found a link on the Arch forums.

[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48733][0]">[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48733][1]

Have a read through and let us know if this has helped you. :)

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48733

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• Hi

I’m having the same problem. My printer is a HP Photosmart 5510 which I know is supported by hplip and installation has never been a problem under other distros.
    This is a new install of Antergos 2015.01.11 Gnome and installing my printer is pretty much the first thing I tried to do.
    I’ve updated and reinstalled hplip and all its dependencies a couple of times. hp-check shows no error. I’ve tried installing over both wireless and usb but that makes no difference.
    Both the gui printer manager and hp-setup find the printer without a problem, but the gui just hangs on ‘scanning for driver’ when I select hplip in the Connections list and, like the OP, using hp-setup I get the ‘no PPD’ error message, though it’s there in usr/share/ppd/HP/

I’d be grateful for any help. This is my first experience with Antergos and I’d like to stick with it, but I need to get my printer working.

• hi. I take it you installed the other dependencies that have to go with installing [i:39fozc2z]hplip[/i:39fozc2z]?
    Did you also install a PPD file?
    You might need to go to the AUR or the OpenPrint Database go get what you need for PPD. Those PPD files, if your missing them that is, go into
    [i:39fozc2z]/usr/share/cups/model/[/i:39fozc2z]
    There is a great article on the Arch Wiki on this. [url:39fozc2z]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS#HP[/url:39fozc2z]
    If any problems, just post. I’ll do my best.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• Thanks, Modisc.

What finally got it working, I think, was an update to hplip. I think there may have been a cups update at the same time. Whatever it was, it worked fine after that.

• Hi George, perhaps your printer problem was finally resolved by removing gutenprint (looking at your comment at http://forum.antergos.com/topic/1622/cups-foomatic-problem-with-new-iso/13), but in case the solution that worked for me can otherwise help others with similar error messages to yours about using an ‘old algorithm’ (e.g. hp-setup command returned ‘No PPD found for model laserjet_2200 using old algorithm’), the solution that worked for me recently when attempting to install my HP LaserJet 2200 D printer is described below. Later, when installing an Epson Stylus CX4800 to the same Antergos installation, instead to using the sudo hp-setup -i command, I had success like others by removing two foomatic files (bash command: yaourt -R foomatic-db foomatic-db-nonfree). Note: I read somewhere that foomatic-db-engine should be kept.

Mind you, even though I was able to attach my HP printer, I still had to click on ‘Connect…’ to the server (if I remember correctly) in the Printer applet and give my username and password to be able to configure the printer settings e.g. double-sided prints, etc. Also, please note that I have had a few hiccups installing Antergos, although I don’t know if these may not be pertinent to this printer problem: (a) Installed as Legacy boot, not UEFI, as I did know how to safely reload secure boot keys - was prompted by the system to use HackTool; (b) Antergos screen goes black after logging in my encryption key if I don’t choose the ‘Antergos fallback’ grub option; © Startup script writes “ignoring bgrt invalid status 0 (expected 1)”; (d) ‘hibernate device not specified’ according to startup script; (e) ‘kvm: disabled by bios’, according to startup script; (f) for some reason, HP Device Manager appears in the Dock but clicking on it does not launch any GUI or terminal - no apparent effect noted.

The solution that worked for me on the HP printer:

1. Look for the compressed PPD file (extension .ppd.gz) for your printer first at the /usr/share/cups/model folder, where an arch wiki webpage says it would be if at all; in my Antergos setup, it was actually in subfolder ‘C’ with other compressed PPD files at:

/usr/share/cups/model/C/stp-hp-lj_2200.5.2.ppd.gz

1. Then extract the compressed PPD file as root, to be able to save as root. A fairly new Linux user might do that as I would in a terminal:

cd /usr/share/cups/model/C
    sudo nautilus

Then, in Nautilus, right-click on your .ppd.gz file and choose ‘Open with Archive Manager’ and then extract it to that same ‘C’ folder.

1. After closing Archive Manager and Nautilus, run the following (using ‘sudo’ as I got an error message otherwise):

sudo hp-setup -i

1. Answer questions on the interacteractive setup process that appears similarly to the answers I used below, I would suggest; if there is no answer following a question mark, this means that I hit the ‘Return’ key because this selects the default answer, although for some reason I needed to choose ‘0’ for USB ‘connection type’ at the first question or else the setup failed:

SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE

Num Connection Description
    Type

0* usb Universal Serial Bus (USB)
    1 net Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
    2 par Parallel Port (LPT:)

Enter number 0…2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 0

Using connection type: usb

Using device: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_2200?serial=00CNBRG18482

Setting up device: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_2200?serial=00CNBRG18482

PRINT QUEUE SETUP

Please enter a name for this print queue (m=use model name:‘HP_LaserJet_2200’*, q=quit) ?
    Using queue name: HP_LaserJet_2200
    Locating PPD file… Please wait.
    error: No PPD found for model laserjet_2200 using old algorithm.
    error: Unable to find an appropriate PPD file.

Would you like to specify the path to the correct PPD file to use (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ? y

Please enter the full filesystem path to the PPD file to use (q=quit) :/usr/share/cups/model/C/stp-hp-lj_2200.5.2.ppd
    Description for the file: HP LaserJet 2200 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10

Use this file (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
    Enter a location description for this printer (q=quit) ?
    Enter additonal information or notes for this printer (q=quit) ?

Adding print queue to CUPS:
    Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_2200?serial=00CNBRG18482
    Queue name: HP_LaserJet_2200
    PPD file: /usr/share/cups/model/C/stp-hp-lj_2200.5.2.ppd

PRINTER TEST PAGE

Would you like to print a test page (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y

Done.

1. Then, run Settings/Printers applet, unlock with your password, and choose ‘Add’ Printer, if I remember correctly.

2. Unfortunately, as noted towards the beginning of this post, in the Print Settings applet I am not allowed to access the printer settings unless I clicked on ‘Connect…’ and logged in to the server in the printer applet. I suppose that this might be a matter of adding my username to the printer group or something like that (I can’t remember how I did this back in Ubuntu).

I hope this helps someone.

• @ AntergosThankYou My, my! That was way too long a solution! Thanks!
    ***I, too, have a problem launching the hplip applet. I have changed laptop and I have to figure out how I was able to get it to launch in my old one and let you know…

• @George-Pantelis said:

***I, too, have a problem launching the hplip applet. I have changed laptop and I have to figure out how I was able to get it to launch in my old one and let you know…

Install python-pyqt4 and the hplip GUI will start right up for you.

• @AntergosThankYou said:

(f) for some reason, HP Device Manager appears in the Dock but clicking on it does not launch any GUI or terminal - no apparent effect noted.

Install
    python-pyqt4, python2-pyqt4 and pyqt4-common
    to get HP-Toolbox to work[/quote:1t3834fr

About this startup message…
    "(e) ‘kvm: disabled by bios’, according to startup script"
    look here…
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/303164/what-does-the-kvm-disabled-by-bios-message-during-the-boot-process-mean

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=155146

• @Mike said:

Install python-pyqt4 and the hplip GUI will start right up for you

Thanks, Mike. I wish I`d seen your message earlier. It took me some 4 hours of searching, installing & configurating…
    Let me ask you, however. You are giving me “python-pyqt4”, whereas I have installed “python2-pyqt4” and “pyqt4-common”, as well.
    Should I uninstall them if not really needed?

• @Mike and @George-Pantelis:
    Thanks for your tips about how to get the HP Device Manager to launch. Indeed, installing python-pyqt4 got this GUI to display!

@George-Pantelis:
    Thanks also for those links to resolve issue “(e) ‘kvm: disabled by bios’, according to startup script””. I had a look and the lscpu bash command on my HP notepad returns “Virtualization: AMD-V” - I think I set virtualization to ‘enabled’ in the BIOS since issuing the post above, and perhaps the ‘kvm: disabled by bios’ message may not appear again in the startup run; at any rate I am not fussed about using any virtual boxes, etc. for now. I appreciate all your feedback though!

• You1re welcome!:thumbsup:

• @George-Pantelis said:

Let me ask you, however. You are giving me “python-pyqt4”, whereas I have installed “python2-pyqt4” and “pyqt4-common”, as well.
    Should I uninstall them if not really needed?

George, I am happy to hear I was able to help you out. I pulled my hair out, trying to sort what was causing the problem.

I just looked at my own install, and pyqt4-common is installed. I am wading pretty deeply here, but I think that is because CUPS uses that one.

I do not have python2-pyqt4 installed, but (and again, I might be over my head, here) I think that might be down to my using the Cinnamon desktop. I am thinking you mentioned using Openbox, at one point, yes? If so, you likely have python2-pyqt4 installed as a dependency for Openbox.

I need to move back to shallow waters here. :grinning: I’ve used Linux for 8 years, and exclusively for 4 years, but I am very much a newb. The Archers would hate me, for not knowing any more than I do. But, at least until this last 7 - 10 days, Antergos has worked very well for me, without my needing to know how every line of code works. I’ve spent a lot of time with Uncle Google, these last few days, but I am stubbornly going to stick with Antergos, until we get back to calmer waters. I get a lot from Antergos, so I am willing to help wherever and whenever I am able. I just don’t have the technical expertise to do much, that’s all.

@AntergosThankYou - You are more than welcome. I’m pleased to know my suggestion helped you.

• Dear @Mike, thanks for your taking time helping. I do appreciate it. To tell you the truth, this is an old issue, concerning another laptop. I had given up efforts, since I was able to print via Antergos as I was able to install the printer alone using the Gnome Settings Center (using gnome, NOT openbox). But I couldn`t use the HPLIP tool to set up the other functions of my 5 in one printer. As a classic lazy bone, I could always switch to Ubuntu in the rare occasion I needed to scan or fax sth.
    Since then, I have changed laptop (the one listed in my signiture) and I had to start all over again.
    This time, I could neither set the printer up via the Gnome Settings Center, nor the Hplip!!!. First thing I did was to dig out an answer from an older post of mine about how to get the hplip to launch. That s where I found that
    python-pyqt4, python2-pyqt4 and pyqt4-common
    had to be installed, but to no use, however.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    So, I found myself stuck before the two options I had to set up my printer. The one via my system settings finding the printer & after a 10-minute thrust of the CPU telling me it could not add it up. And the 2nd (Hplip tool) asking me for username & password, which I didn t know what they were.
    I also tried going to CUPS and add it from there. But, according to the message I was receiving, "this action is forbidden.:sweat:
    :satisfied: The first good news was when you mention sth about uninstalling
    gutenprint
    Uninstalling this, made it possible, at least, to set up the printer alone via the systems settings. Then, I had to do my homework & figure out how to install its other functions via the Hplip. Dag really deep back in time, found the dependencies I was given back then, tried launching it, got stuck in permition previlledges to finish the setting up. The answer was in the Archwiki. And it was just a simple command!!!:thumbsup:
    # hp-setup -i
    So, problem solved…
    *By the way, let me take this opportunity to make my point why I would NOT recommend Antergos to a beginner. In Ubuntu, I did NOT face any problems at all. After installation and rebooting, everything was there as expected.
    My next issue is how to get my bluetooth to work (in ubuntu it just works fine)…:innocent:
    **I, too, would be willing to help the Antergos project in any way they believe I could be of any use…:ok_hand:

• @zeno said in Hp device manager setup problem.:

It may be the printer problem that stuck in scanning mode or it also might be a driver problem.Because as written in Hp Photosmart 5510 Manual that always use right, new, latest and compatible drivers. So please also check your driver version. You can also do following steps if none of issue is found in pc:
    Press the Power button to turn off the product.

Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.

Wait 30 seconds.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

Replug the power cord into the electrical outlet

Press the Power button to turn on the product.

Load plain white, unused, letter size paper in the paper tray.

Lift the scanner lid, place the original face down on the scanner glass, and then lower the scanner lid.

Try again to make a color copy or scan

• @cdbadhgb 2 years old question

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

Posts 17Views 6332