• CUPS/foomatic problem with new ISO

Hello,
    I’ve just installed (fresh) Antergos from the new ISO (Jan 2015). DE Gnome, on a macbook pro 8,1.

I cannot add printers. The system printer setup window opens, I can see the network printers. When I select one (a lexmark) and attempt to install the “Searching for Drivers” window opens and the printer setup application freezes (CPU runs to . I get the same result when trying to add the CUPs-PDF printer as well.100% for CUPS and foomatic - 50% each).

I’m at a loss for how to resolve. I’ve reinstalled CUPS and foomatic to no effect.

Any suggestions to resolve this are appreciated.

• Hello,
    I’ve just installed (fresh) Antergos from the new ISO (Jan 2015). DE Gnome, on a macbook pro 8,1.

I cannot add printers. The system printer setup window opens, I can see the network printers. When I select one (a lexmark) and attempt to install the “Searching for Drivers” window opens and the printer setup application freezes (CPU runs to . I get the same result when trying to add the CUPs-PDF printer as well.100% for CUPS and foomatic - 50% each).

I’m at a loss for how to resolve. I’ve reinstalled CUPS and foomatic to no effect.

Any suggestions to resolve this are appreciated.

• FYI - it does not matter if I try to set up CUPS through the application or localhost - both result in the same freezing problem.

• More info:
    “sudo systemctl status org.cups.cupsd.service” gives:

org.cups.cupsd.service - CUPS Scheduler
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/org.cups.cupsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) since Mon 2015-01-19 12:37:55 EST; 8min ago
    Docs: man:cupsd(8)
    Process: 293 ExecStart=/usr/bin/cupsd -l (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 293 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    CGroup: /system.slice/org.cups.cupsd.service

Jan 19 12:28:08 macbookpro hpfax[1154]: [1154]: warning: python-dbus not installed.

NOTE: According to pacman “python-dbus” is installed…

• If anyone else experiences this the solution for me was to remove foomatic and install the printers via ppd.

• Hi Watgrad, many many thanks! I too have had the same problem and I solved it with your suggestion!

• @watgrad What’s the make and model of your printer? Is it a network printer or local?

• I had the same problem by following these threads on the forums of Arch, said he had to uninstall foomatic-db foomatic-db-nonfree after that and can be installed without problems printers. The CPU usage when using cups, is a problem of the new CUPS version 2.0.2-1 which have not yet been resolved, I have not found any response. Sorry for my english.
    This is what I did to install my printer:

su
    systemctl disable cups.service
    systemctl enable avahi-daemon.service
    systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service
    systemctl start avahi-daemon.service
    systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service
    pacman -R foomatic-db, foomatic db-nonfree

Reboot

Saludos.

• @lot-0-logs I could not install any printers (cups-pdf, or networked Xerox Workcentre printer/copiers, or lexmark printers). The printer settings dialog froze whenever I made the attempt. Is working now with above change…

• @kaxlanwa said:

avahi-daemon

Thanks for reporting this! I’ve already updated the installer’s cups configuration so this shouldn’t be a problem for new installs.

Cheers!

• Hello–New user here. I had the same problem setting up printer as well (same circumstances–printer discovered but no drivers being presented). Removing “foomatic-db” and “foomatic-db-nonfree” solved the issue and the printer setup process worked flawlessly. It does not appear as if the installer is fully corrected. Thanks to kaxlanwa for a proper solution. Note–all I did was remove the referenced files and everything worked. I did not have to disable or enable any services.

• Hi,

We’re not installing the foomatic package anymore, but maybe there’s another one that depends on it. We’ll check this.

Thanks for reporting it!

• I am seeing this about 2 minutes too late, but I managed to work around the same problem by uninstalling gutenprint. One or the other (foomatic or gutenprint) has to go, before you can install a printer.

• That was that for me, Mike! Gutenprint. Uninstalling foomatic didn`t change anything for me, but unistalling gutenprint was the solution to my problem.
    Thanks!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• glad i found this thread. uninstalled foomatic also worked in installing my canon printer.

Posts 15Views 4753
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.