• CUPS/foomatic problem with new ISO

Hello,
    I’ve just installed (fresh) Antergos from the new ISO (Jan 2015). DE Gnome, on a macbook pro 8,1.

I cannot add printers. The system printer setup window opens, I can see the network printers. When I select one (a lexmark) and attempt to install the “Searching for Drivers” window opens and the printer setup application freezes (CPU runs to . I get the same result when trying to add the CUPs-PDF printer as well.100% for CUPS and foomatic - 50% each).

I’m at a loss for how to resolve. I’ve reinstalled CUPS and foomatic to no effect.

Any suggestions to resolve this are appreciated.

• Hello,
    I’ve just installed (fresh) Antergos from the new ISO (Jan 2015). DE Gnome, on a macbook pro 8,1.

I cannot add printers. The system printer setup window opens, I can see the network printers. When I select one (a lexmark) and attempt to install the “Searching for Drivers” window opens and the printer setup application freezes (CPU runs to . I get the same result when trying to add the CUPs-PDF printer as well.100% for CUPS and foomatic - 50% each).

I’m at a loss for how to resolve. I’ve reinstalled CUPS and foomatic to no effect.

Any suggestions to resolve this are appreciated.

• FYI - it does not matter if I try to set up CUPS through the application or localhost - both result in the same freezing problem.

• More info:
    “sudo systemctl status org.cups.cupsd.service” gives:

org.cups.cupsd.service - CUPS Scheduler
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/org.cups.cupsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) since Mon 2015-01-19 12:37:55 EST; 8min ago
    Docs: man:cupsd(8)
    Process: 293 ExecStart=/usr/bin/cupsd -l (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 293 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    CGroup: /system.slice/org.cups.cupsd.service

Jan 19 12:28:08 macbookpro hpfax[1154]: [1154]: warning: python-dbus not installed.

NOTE: According to pacman “python-dbus” is installed…

• If anyone else experiences this the solution for me was to remove foomatic and install the printers via ppd.

• Hi Watgrad, many many thanks! I too have had the same problem and I solved it with your suggestion!

• @watgrad What’s the make and model of your printer? Is it a network printer or local?

• I had the same problem by following these threads on the forums of Arch, said he had to uninstall foomatic-db foomatic-db-nonfree after that and can be installed without problems printers. The CPU usage when using cups, is a problem of the new CUPS version 2.0.2-1 which have not yet been resolved, I have not found any response. Sorry for my english.
    This is what I did to install my printer:

su
    systemctl disable cups.service
    systemctl enable avahi-daemon.service
    systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service
    systemctl start avahi-daemon.service
    systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service
    pacman -R foomatic-db, foomatic db-nonfree

Reboot

Saludos.

• @lot-0-logs I could not install any printers (cups-pdf, or networked Xerox Workcentre printer/copiers, or lexmark printers). The printer settings dialog froze whenever I made the attempt. Is working now with above change…

• @kaxlanwa said:

avahi-daemon

Thanks for reporting this! I’ve already updated the installer’s cups configuration so this shouldn’t be a problem for new installs.

Cheers!

• Hello–New user here. I had the same problem setting up printer as well (same circumstances–printer discovered but no drivers being presented). Removing “foomatic-db” and “foomatic-db-nonfree” solved the issue and the printer setup process worked flawlessly. It does not appear as if the installer is fully corrected. Thanks to kaxlanwa for a proper solution. Note–all I did was remove the referenced files and everything worked. I did not have to disable or enable any services.

• Hi,

We’re not installing the foomatic package anymore, but maybe there’s another one that depends on it. We’ll check this.

Thanks for reporting it!

• I am seeing this about 2 minutes too late, but I managed to work around the same problem by uninstalling gutenprint. One or the other (foomatic or gutenprint) has to go, before you can install a printer.

• That was that for me, Mike! Gutenprint. Uninstalling foomatic didn`t change anything for me, but unistalling gutenprint was the solution to my problem.
    Thanks!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• glad i found this thread. uninstalled foomatic also worked in installing my canon printer.

Posts 15Views 3933