• 400+ MB RAM consumption. Normal?

*OpenBox Desktop*

This is the first time I’m using openbox.
    I moved from Gnome.

With the default setup, The desktop starts up with 400+ MB Ram consumption and stays up.
    Live Antergos gnome session ran in 300-400MB consumption.
    My last Heavily bloated Gnome desktop used to run at 500+ MB

400+MB Ram consumption is not a big problem the problem is it reaches to 800-900MB consumption pretty easily.
    My last Gnome Desktop used to reach 800-900MB rarely. and would mostly stick with 600-700MB consumption.

Above 1GB RAM consumption, My laptop, having 1.5GB RAM starts lagging.
    Did I say lagging? I mean HANGing! Forcing me to turn the system off manually.
    Below it it runs smoothly

I check the system-monitor time to time. Everything except the RAM consumption seems normal.
    ‘Top’ command in terminal gives same results.

Funny thing is, on totalling the the individual RAM consumption of the applications, It reaches like 180-225MB (with nothing heavy running)

Is this what we call “Memory leaking”?

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• *OpenBox Desktop*

This is the first time I’m using openbox.
    I moved from Gnome.

With the default setup, The desktop starts up with 400+ MB Ram consumption and stays up.
    Live Antergos gnome session ran in 300-400MB consumption.
    My last Heavily bloated Gnome desktop used to run at 500+ MB

400+MB Ram consumption is not a big problem the problem is it reaches to 800-900MB consumption pretty easily.
    My last Gnome Desktop used to reach 800-900MB rarely. and would mostly stick with 600-700MB consumption.

Above 1GB RAM consumption, My laptop, having 1.5GB RAM starts lagging.
    Did I say lagging? I mean HANGing! Forcing me to turn the system off manually.
    Below it it runs smoothly

I check the system-monitor time to time. Everything except the RAM consumption seems normal.
    ‘Top’ command in terminal gives same results.

Funny thing is, on totalling the the individual RAM consumption of the applications, It reaches like 180-225MB (with nothing heavy running)

Is this what we call “Memory leaking”?

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• A bit of reading will help you, if you need an explanation ask again, no problems:
    [url:2pma6nu8]http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/buffer-cache.html[/url:2pma6nu8]
    Cheers!

P.S. I would explain it myself to you, but I’m in a bit of a rush right now. I hope you understand.

• This sums it up: “To make the most efficient use of real memory, Linux automatically uses all free RAM for buffer cache, but also automatically makes the cache smaller when programs need more memory.”

• Wow learnt something new today :D

why does it not make the cache smaller further when my applications need more than 1GiB of RAM

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Openbox, directly after boot, uses approx. 200mb of RAM for me. With Chromium open, right now, it’s using 406, according to my conky. Firefox sometimes drives it through the roof, though. I had to stop using it because it was peaking at 3.4gb of RAM. o_o

Distro hopping junkie
    Developer for [Entropy GNU/Linux[/url:22cla13f]]0

• Firefox sometimes drives it through the roof, though. I had to stop using it because it was peaking at 3.4gb of RAM.

I want a screenshot!

No, seriously, It’s difficult to believe. I use firefox on a daily basis on several computers (Antergos and Xubuntu) and never have experienced something like this!

• probably a bad extension causing the problem or 100 tabs open at a time. firefox runs pretty smooth for me never notice crazy ram issues

• @“AnonKS”:2qlxzikr said:

With Chromium open, right now, it’s using 406[/quote:2qlxzikr]
    Thats weird. Opera, chrom(e,ium) all these “Blink” webbrowsers on my laptop are very heavy.
    With no extensions running and no tabs open, they consume 300MB RAM.
    With websites open? They see no point in not eating all of my RAM. And I get system hangs and stuff
    The old opera with presto engine was good on system memory though

Firefox is a little bit nicer on RAM but little bit. it eats around 175MB without tabs and 200-300 with 2-3 normal tabs. It does however behave like those Blink browsers when I open some heavily java scripted webpage(even just single tab) and I see all my RAM being consumed, sluggish mouse movement, firefox not closing and making it worse…

However, the little ‘lightweight’ webbrowsers work nicely. I remember epiphany used to consume 10-20MB with 4-5 tabs open. but instead of eating up whole ram on java scripted websites, it used to crash itself ;-;
    and all ‘lightweight’ webbrowsers suck visually.
    Epiphany is the only good-looking lightweight webbrowser but I wont use it now as I’m on openbox and ephiphany wants to download whole gnome with it (including gnome-desktop)
    midori crashes unnecessarily all the time.

Conclusion: All webbrowsers suck!

Now my only hope is in the upcoming vivaldi browser. it is using the Blink engine >:( but I still hope it does ‘internet’ nicely or I’m sticking with firefox!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• I love Firefox on my windows machine. It’s a totally crappy experience for me on Linux, though. So I just use chromium. I never got into opera, except on android.

Distro hopping junkie
    Developer for [Entropy GNU/Linux[/url:22cla13f]]0

• Hi,

IMHO Midori is a nice option!

Posts 12Views 2853